Saturday, October 22, 2016

Campervanning Day 7 7/10

While we had toured around Merimbula before three years ago at the very least we must see the lovely Short Point again. It is just along the road a little from the caravan park in Short Point Road. You can see photos of it back here, including one of recumbent me. Merimbula is the first red dot on the right and we drove from Merimbula, off the map at the bottom.


Ah, I became confused. I did take some photos this time. Short Point.


In the opposite direction.


Not too far to travel today, so it was a leisurely start.


We hugged the coast as closely as possible. This is the historic wharf at Tathra. It was repaired after storm damage but then damaged again and is again being restored. At the top of the steep hill above was a sign warning that there was not turning space for a caravan or bus. Well, we aren't that big, so down we went. Guess who had to reverse back up the hill and around curves for over three hundred metres. The side of the road dropped away steeply. It was just a matter of reversing slowly, but R covered his eyes and I received a lecture.



Along the way, to stretch our legs.



We took a lunch break at Bermagui.



Again the wind was blowing hard but still we sat outside, as it was not cold. The waiter remarked when she brought our coffee, the wind would blow the top off a cappuccino, and she was right.


There was a pleasant scenic drive. I knew there would be no negativity from my passenger as I had seen a tour bus come down the hill.



I can't remember where this was, perhaps when we walked to a vantage point at this afternoon's destination, Narooma.


Narooma is a nice place.



We again stayed in a Big 4 park and this one was quite crowded. We hadn't been in such close proximity to other guests for our travels so far. The park was fine, right on the edge of the sheltered sea and we went for a wander along the main street and stopped for an icecream. Two aboriginal youth were lounging at the doorway with their tops off and very nice they were too, one very handsome. They wandered off and we sat outside to eat our ice cream. Oh. The very handsome one is returning and what I had not noticed was how his slim hips clad in low hanging jeans with his exposed underwear swayed when he walked. He was very obviously gay and I guess the other was too. He and his friend went inside, bought an icecream each and sat down at an inside table. Eventually he twigged that I was taking a bit too much notice of him and he gave me a half smile. A cat can admire a queen.


We had taken some bird seed with us, as you saw earlier, but lorikeets don't eat seed. They eat nectar. A neighbour in a van had made up some type of mixture to feed them and they loved it. He gave R some mixture and R was absolutely covered in lorikeets as he fed them the mixture, and ended up with scratches on his arms.


We had a great dinner at a local sporting club, just a short walk away. It was oyster special month, $1 each. I restrained myself and only ordered six and they were better than the last oysters I had eaten in Melbourne, which cost $14 for six. There was even music outside, which was quite good. The most attractive member of the band, a real hipster type, joined them after dark.


NSW clubs are just brilliant and very community focused. The Narooma Club even has Tia Chi classes. They have pokie machines which subsidise community events at the club. We were promised similar when pokie machines were allowed into Victoria, but it never happened. 

22 comments:

  1. Looks like you are on a great trip. I agree about the clubs being good.We did that area some years ago. thanks for bringing back the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, while my head tells me no, I kept thing what lovely places these beach towns would be for retirement.

      Delete
  2. It is a lovely area. Thank you for taking us with you.
    And Lorikeets do eat seed, but prefer nectar. And get a bit greedy about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well EC, they may well eat seed, but they were not interested in ours.

      Delete
  3. Clubs are pretty amazing here. I am a member of one, it costs $11 a year and you get so much included with that, endless free minibus rides back and forth to the club, free entry to everything, discounts on food and drinks, and even free use of their boat ramp. :)

    Narooma is gorgeous and somewhere I want to spend more time one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, I agree, the clubs are amazing, including the mini buses to get people there and home again safely. Places are starting to do that here but we are behind the eight ball.

      Delete
  4. I has been windy lately but blow the cream off your coffee now that's very windy.
    Merle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, we were very plagued by wind, throughout the trip.

      Delete
  5. I hope you got a photo of R covered in birds. They're so pretty. I haven't had oysters in such a long time. Makes me wish for some. We have oyster farms just 65 miles from me on the coast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I wasn't actually there but the man who made the mixture took photos of R with R's phone covered in birds.

      Delete
  6. fantastic beaches so land of my dreams. The place for luch was perfect as well your lunch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it is a very nice part of Australia.

      Delete
  7. I'm enjoying travelling around with you, but cringing at the thought of that reversing bit. I would have had to get out and walk back up. There's no way I could stay in the vehicle going backward up a slope with many corners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, which is what R should have done. He makes me unnecessarily nervous.

      Delete
  8. Bermagui has a fun pub and a lovely beach, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joseph, the pub looked pretty good but we didn't go inside. Given the wind, the beach was quite busy.

      Delete
  9. I'm with River, I would never have been able to stay in the car while you were reversing Andrew, especially if there were steep edges involved 😊 Goodness so many lorikeets and so tame too, mine used to come in and feed everyday but they wouldn't let me get too close!Made me smile with your description of the 'distractions/attractions' on the trip ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace,I would guess the lorikeets are used to being fed. I do get constantly distracted.

      Delete
  10. This seems a great route that you are travelling. Like the idea of hugging the coast but revesing on that slope would have finished me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, it nearly finished R off.

      Delete
  11. The name Bermagui is familiar to me, I've heard my dad mention it long ago. I think he worked there briefly before we came to SA, I must have been two or three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little personal connection, River.

      Delete