Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Transport Tuesday

Daniel Bowen's posts are always interesting, but this one raised some thoughts for me. It is about whether we use the 12 hour or 24 hour clock. At work I have to use the 24 hour clock, so I am quite familiar with it, but I do convert the time in my head to the 12 hour clock. It is rare that I convert much back to the old, so far as the metric system goes.

As I have written before, we are going backwards with our metrication. Because of the tyre inflation equipment that garages import from the US being in pounds per square inch, everyone has forgotten hectopascals and no one is learning them now. I think we are losing kilojoules back to calories, and although we are pretty good with weights, the weight of babies is still  described widely in pounds. I at times might say an inch rather than 2.5 cm, or a yard if a distance is a bit short of a metre and I can readily convert 20cm to 8 inches. At times I will say somewhere is miles away, but other times I will say kilometres away. I do not say clicks, kays or kilOMetres. Former late Prime Minister Whitlam told us that it is KILometres and had Greek roots. Nothing wrong with that.

For once, I don't really have an opinion on which is to be the preferred time format. Most people here are more used to the 12 hour clock, but that is not a reason to not change. I'd rather see decimal clock, with ten hours to the day instead of 24.

Daniel also linked to a post by Marcus Wong, pointing out how confused time formats are at both Metro Trains and our country rail service V/Line and when they are on one display, it looks chaotic. Fancy catching a suburban train at 2:22 at Flinders Street to arrive at So Cross Station at 2:27 to catch the 14:45 to Bendigo.

What we do need here is consistency by our train folk.

------

The retro fitted public announcement system on our B Class trams is quite good. I don't know why the tram driver yesterday felt it necessary to duplicate them with his own similar announcements. For goodness sake, shut up.

Last week we went to Richmond by tram. The C Class does not have a recorded public The driver would not shut up on the PA system. I wish she would pay full attention to driving rather than hearing her own voice. I was somewhat bemused and a little cross when she announced, 'The next stop is located for your convenience between Russell and Exhibition Street'. No Ms Tram Driver, it was much more convenient when there were stops at both Russell and Exhibition Streets. She was young and quite new, I think, and probably did not know.

------

A couple of decades ago R and myself were on a tram and there was a collector for an environmental organisation on the tram. They used to dress up in koala suits and collect money using a slotted bucket. I can't remember what someone commented to the person in the koala suit, but he clearly said sotto voce, 'I should have caught the train'. Over the years R and myself have used the expression when we get caught in traffic or have a slow and/or unpleasant tram trip. The tram trip back from Richmond was tedious. We should have gotten off the tram at Richmond Station and caught the train.

PS It must be nearly time to have another go at Americans who alone in the world use their weird date format.

PPS What do you think of a 24 hour time clock?

16 comments:

  1. I am reasonably comfortable with a 24 hour clock. Mostly. I still do conversions though. And for some reason think of people's height in feet and inches still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I am bit inclined to the height thing too. Like to River I mentioned my mother's height, but I could not do it in metric. I work from me being 180cm tall and R being 183.

      Delete
  2. My biggest complaint is about dates. Instead of from small to big (time, day, month, year), Americans go small to big, to small and then to the biggest (time, month, day, year). What a cock up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, the American date system is absurd and out of step with just about every country in the world, I think. I can cope with the 'international' system, year, month, date.

      Delete
  3. I can work with either when it comes to clock. But when it comes to metric I need to use a metric calulator. My hubby wish they would switch to metric.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, the US switching to metric will change the world, but I can't see it happening in a hurry.

      Delete
  4. I use a 24 hour clock, which is my preferred method. When I was setting up my website I got very annoyed that I could not change the date format on the forms from US formatting. Bloody yanks, think they run the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A decimal clock with only ten hours to the day?
    TEN?? would they be extra long hours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, very long hours. A quarter past nine will be a lot later than half past nine.

      Delete
  6. Our trams have an automated announcement system for each station, which I find irritating, also the same voice tells us if we wish to stop at ** station, please press stop now. If nobody presses stop and there are no pick ups to be made, the tram just keeps going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, that is much the same as our system but there is no announcement to press the button for the next stop, except the tram driver yesterday said it.

      Delete
  7. Without the 24 hour clock travelling would be a nightmare but that is the only time I use it. Everyday life is the 12 hour clock. As an aside trying to teach telling the time was always difficult. Children are so used to reading a digital clock that understanding an analogue clock proved a step too far for many. Twenty minutes to or past.... forget it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I suppose travell sites could use AM and PM, but it is a bit messy. I like analogue time, but I am old. It does not surprise me that younguns don't understand.

      Delete
  8. I much prefer the 24 hour clock, you don't have to momentarily work it out 😊 What's the weather like in the High-rise today? No clouds and lot's of sunshine I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good yesterday, Grace, but certainly not today.

      Delete