Monday, September 26, 2016

The week that was

Kind of speakies now in The Highrise, but I am suffering from malnutrition, having no dinner cooked for me for over a week. I did cook my fried rice one night but the offer of my cooking effort was declined by my co-habitor.

Bad swear words were directed at me tonight and that is part of the healing process. I've been through this a once or thrice and I know once the bad words, the swearing, the horribleness is over, we will heal. Relationships can be difficult at time and if you ask R, I am far from blameless. Naturally that is not my opinion. R gets quite stressed about things, often enough to do with my family....or me.

The past week flew past though and I took a few outings on my own of which you will hear about. Thursday was of course Mother's Day and to my surprise, R did come with me. Mother was her usual impossible self.

Saturday afternoon was a trip down the Mornington Peninsula  for a family party for Fire Fighting Niece's birthday. I think it turned into a party for her friends that evening.

We could have stayed longer but it was our Dyke Friend's birthday dinner at a local hotel. We were home for ten minutes then off again to collect Brighton Antique Dealer from Balaclava Station to transport her to The Dick.

It was a nice meal and a great catch up with friends, including Manny from Malaysia whose coffee business is booming. He imports coffee, coffee making machines, trains people in coffee making and his business in Kuala Lumpur turned over US$3 million last year. I never realised how rich he is. He is a handsome and likable guy with a nice deep voice and the gift of the gab and his spoken English is good. He accidentally paid either AU$300 or €300 for a special glass of Scotch whiskey when he was in Dublin. He saw three musicals in London while staying at the Intercontinental in Park Lane with Hyde Park just outside his window, and stayed in Paris where he had a great view of Eiffel Tower. All business related expenses of course, and as in Australia, in Malaysia the costs will be a business tax deduction. This was just before he took his forty odd staff to Phuket for a weekend of fun and frivolity. Look out Melbourne coffee institutions. Manny has his sights set on Melbourne, a city he loves, especially for its weather!

Sunday was a rest day, with only a quick trip into town to buy a new electric carving knife (ha, one day there will be a roast again) to use up a $20 credit and have a bite to eat. Housework was done on Monday, with just a late lunch at a local cafe and wow, R made me baked beans on toast tonight. I am hungering for lamb chops. Maybe tomorrow. I might ask.

Meanwhile, much planning is going in to our campervan holiday. The 9:39 train to Tottenham Station better be on time. Vegemite, pepper grinder, extra towels, cereal, medication, wine, beer, Scotch, maps, nail clippers, eyebrow pencil and tweezers. The Camper Mate phone app is brilliant. It tells where we can get free wifi, where to fill our gas bottle and where we can dump the contents of our toilet canister, along with maps and accommodation and much more. It is crowd sourced and I notice anything is wrong or have extra information to add, I will do so.

There seems to be many reasons given as to why it will be 'impracticable' to stay at Sister's on The Bellarine. Bushes will need to cut back, (we don't have to park inside), Bone Doctor and Little Jo are going to BD's father's birthday lunch (we won't arrive until about 3pm). Why would you want to spend $80 on the ferry across the bay (our choice). BD and Little Jo can call in to your place for Little Jo to see your campervan. OK Sister we can take a hint. R is very angry about this and even the more tolerant me is rather annoyed and mystified. We won't go down th way again until we are invited.  We will call into Mother's on the way to show her the van and then stay somewhere near Phillip Island for the night.

16 comments:

  1. Happy to hear the weather is clearing in the High-rise Andrew, even if there is the odd little shower 😊 I have to say I don't blame you for being fed up with your sister, especially as you do so much for her re babysitting Little Jo, although I know you both love having her. Family can be tres odd at times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, a good description, weather clearing with the occasional shower. I have to resort to, 'What can I do? She is my sister'.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you have a busy social life and fascinating friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, these social things always come in spurts and not steady drips.

      Delete
  3. I am really, really pleased that, as has been said, the weather is clearing. Families and relationships ARE difficult from time to time. Sometimes almost impossibly so.
    And goodness you are social.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it is a good analogy. Part of the problem is R cares too much and is easily offended.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:17 am

    Hope you and R can patch it up before you set off. Life can be hell stuck together in a small space if you are still hissing at each other. The BF and I had a few nasty words while travelling around Europe on long service many moons ago and at the time, I wanted to move into a hotel for a few days as we couldn't stand the sight of each other. This will sound silly but it was only when we got to the Sound of Music countryside in Austria that things settled down. Must have been the soothing scenery. - Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian. Things are ok now. When the beautiful Austrian hills are alive with the sound of music, how can one remain cross.

      Delete
  5. You really must learn to cook a simple meal for yourself, a roast certainly isn't hard to do, prep everything and shove it in the oven for a few hours. Turn the oven on of course. Lamb chops are easy too.
    I'm glad to hear things are easing between you and R, especially with this camper trip coming up.
    I can think of a few words for your sister, but I'll keep my mouth shut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I can cook, although I would have to research cooking a roast to perfection. I could cook a roast without any information the way Mother used to, but R does it so much better. He is a skilled and instinctive good cook. I can cook, although I don't, but what R does well is presentation and the extras.

      Yes, I can think of a few words for my sister, but I need to understand why that happened and not overreact. R goes for the simple option, she is a B. Charitably I will say she struggles with life. She is a good performer, but without much depth.

      Delete
  6. Everyone should learn to cook, for your own good , hope all is better soon.
    Merle........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I can cook, just as well as your bloke. Thanks, things are back to normal but it took a while.

      Delete
  7. My Dad and his gf have just purchased a caravan, so I've recommended that app to them. They're going to have caravan lessons, which I find very cute, but so glad they're having them. I've seen my Dad back a car!!!

    Glad things are on the mend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, yes, a caravan is a bit harder to manage than a campervan. I used to be able to back a trailer or whatever, but it was so long ago.

      Delete
  8. Oh gosh, you can't stay at sisters'? That's rude, they could just say it, not give all those little hints so you're not sure if they just don't want you, have something else going on or what. I don't know how people live together and suffer through misunderstandings, quirks, all the difficulties of two completely different people sharing space. I think people who can do this are a cut above, superior to us loners. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, if there was an obvious logical reason for it, I would be quite ok. Living with someone does keep you on your toes, so to speak.

      Delete