Wednesday, September 07, 2016

The motor car

A few random car related photos.

We sometimes take the car to an automatic Port Melbourne car wash. There is little space at the car wash to dry off the car so we drive to this linear park along the Port Melbourne light rail line. Lads are lads and as is the evidence shows, doughnuts have been performed in the park.


 You could supply a market stall with the good things that get thrown out in our building.


Not car related, but this was thrown out too. I assume it works. Things thrown out in our basement usually do.


A line up of 'yank tanks' in Collins Street. I suppose fuel costs killed off these large cars in North America. If you never ridden in one, I can tell you they are extremely comfortable and just float along the road.


Hippie Niece loves Kombis and wants one. I snapped these couple of photos with the intention of sending them to her, but I got myself 'involved'. The owner of the van, an older man of foreign birth arrived back to his Kombi and noticed his parking ticket. He was annoyed and we were sympathetic. He is parked in a disabled space and has the correct disabled parking sticker on display and was within the time constraints and could not understand why he received a ticket and nor could we. He was going to hang around until he saw the parking officer to ask why and we left after I took photos and gave him my contact details. I never heard from him, so who knows the outcome. What I think he may have done is parked in the very wide disabled space when there was already one car there. The car park markings seem to indicate the space was for one car, not two.



14 comments:

  1. Andrew I love the cars from the last photos they are lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I guess you may see a Kombi or two running around.

      Delete
  2. I suspect you are right about the parking ticket. The disabled parking spots here are more commonly invaded by able bodied people. Which gives me the irrits. And I have never seen anyone ticketed for it either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, while the chap did not seem particularly disabled, you can't tell just by looking. WE just have to trust the system works, and I too have no tolerance of the abuse of disabled parking spaces. Such spaces are quite well policed here, well in areas I frequent.

      Delete
  3. Love the Yank tanks, 30 odd years ago they'd do blockies in Fremantle on Sundays to show off their restoration jobs, now there is a smaller version happening in Oakleigh on Sundays. Many a Mustang has been drooled over in Portman St lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jayne! Long time no see. How's things up your way?

      Delete
    2. Oh Jayne, I do like a big Mustang. I drove one in about 1977 and it was a horrid growling beast that kept stalling, but oh, the power. Perhaps we should do brunch in Portman Street?

      Delete
    3. Hi River, things is same old lol.

      You can't get a seat for love nor money in Oakleigh on a Sunday unless you mug someone for a bar stool !

      Delete
  4. I think you're right about the car parking error. Those spaces are double wide for a reason. Many people need the extra space to manouver wheelchairs and other mobility devices. A lot of vans are fitted with side entrances for the chair lift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think you are right and we are in furious agreement. I think why it happened is that this space is absolutely huge, bigger than a normal disabled space.

      Delete
  5. Never been in Automatic car wash before. But when the kids was young we had VW van, and I like it.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, Kombis were great fun to drive and quite easy to drive.

      Delete
  6. You call the VW van a Kombi? Why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, good question. I assume we use the German name.

      Delete