Wednesday, September 28, 2016

The Bunnings Bus

I had to sprint across the road, but I got to the bus stop in time to catch the 220 into town. I did not know that bus air con also heats, but it was, for a day of 18 degrees. I've been on a bus when it has been 8 degrees and there was no heating. This will be a close call. The 235 bus to get to Bunnings in Port Melbourne was due at about the same time as the arrival of the 220 at the bus stop. Stupid me got off the bus at Flinders Lane instead of Bourke Street and I noted the passing of the 235 as I was working out where the bus stop in the opposite direction was.

Damn, I have just missed the bus and it is twenty minutes until the next one. My plan was for a bit of shopping and a hair cut when I returned to town. I would not mind a cup of coffee either. Funnily, both were at the bus stop but I wanted sit down coffee in a glass or china cup, not a piece of cardboard or polystyrene.  I could have had coffee and sat down and enjoyed it, but for some reason I did not.

$15 haircut? I wonder how long that will take? Would I have time before the next bus?

The 235 bus did not appear at 2:03. This is really shite. The next bus was at 2:23. Plenty of time for a quick haircut or coffee. But earlier the hairdresser had left his shop and went across the road to a public Exeloo toilet and spent quite a bit of time in there. Weird perhaps, because we all have to go, but I did not want him touching my hair, plus for a hairdresser, I did not like his hair. I just kind of paced up and down the street, for about 35 minutes.

When I left the bus in Williamstown Road, I checked using my phone for a bus back. I bought what I wanted at Bunnings and again checked the time of the bus back to town. It may have been operator error, but the bus time back to town was now very different. 19 minutes before the next bus. When it arrived, it was packed and standing room only. I could not work out where the crowd came from but this evening's 7:30 on our ABC tv, it was mentioned about a failed private educational institution down that way, and I reckon the bus was full of people leaving some private education institution.

I am not sure which bus company runs route 235 but it was a crap experience for me. I could have driven to Bunnings, came back home and then caught the tram into town and it would have been quicker.

The bus stopped at So Cross Station and I got off and caught a tram to Swanston Street, where I had a naughty snack at Hungry Jacks, had my hair cut in Campbell Place, coffee outdoors opposite the town hall and then up to Office Works at QV and bought something similar to this for our forthcoming campervan trip.

Funny that car cigarette lighters have been repurposed and no longer do they light cigarettes or firecrackers.




8 comments:

  1. That's a brilliant use for the old cigarette lighter in cars. That was rather a frustrating trip to Bunnings Andrew, as it's one of P's favourite destinations I'm happy we have a Bunnings just five minutes away😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, yes well our Bunnings is not much further away by car, but a long way away by public transport, as it happened. I was unlucky.

      Delete
  2. wow what a great idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, you mean the plug for cigarette lighters? Older phones used to come with own plug to do that.

      Delete
  3. $15 haircut? Not a happening thing for a person of my gender. I pay $22.50 and am considered cheap.
    Love that repurposing. And am all too familiar with shifting bus schedules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, the same place was $25 for a woman's haircut. I normally pay $20. Women are ripped off for haircuts and underwear and there is no logical reason why they should be aside from 'the market'.

      Delete
  4. $15 haircuts and $22.50 for EC is a bargain. Here, I ask for a trim and get charged $45. this is why my hair is now longer. I'm not paying that much to have a couple of cms snipped off.
    But what did you buy at Bunnings? curious minds (ok, just me) want to know.
    Usually our buses get off schedule because of traffic hold ups, accidents or the bus breaks down and has to wait for a replacement to arrive, usually the next bus along that route which is already full and the first bus passengers all have to crowd in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, that is a ridiculous price to pay for a simple haircut. Where I get my hair cut is essentially a barber, but one day there was a women in there getting her hair cut.

      Mother's bench top laminex has lifted near her sink where it gets wet. She plugged the gaps up with Jiff. I bought white sealant at Bunnings and dug out the Jiff and put in sealant with a gun to hopefully stop the problem getting worse. There was another area that needed sealant too, but this is becoming too long.

      Yes, I understand what you are saying about how buses can become late or just disappear and you are a captive market for them, but I have choices and the next time I will either drive or catch the tram and have to walk a bit further, which I should have done in retrospect.

      Delete