Sunday, September 25, 2016

Sunday Selections

The roof next door is wide open, nothing to burn, no one to smoke out so I am not sure why smoking would not be allowed. No tradesperson on the roof takes any notice anyway and they smoke away.


Men in suits were standing on the very top roof and conversing. Oh, I hope they are not planning an upward extension. A couple of days later these clip like things were installed. We will see in time what that is about.


A visitor who stayed for a while.


Cranes, many cranes, in all directions.


I took a little walk down my street. These white flowering trees are common, obviously a fruit tree or ornamental fruit tree, but what are they?



Regimented appeals to me sense of orderliness.


Azaleas, Indica I think.


Camelias.


The trees at the newly landscaped building next door are taking off.


Gerberas, I think.


The Victorian Automobile Chamber of Commerce nearly always has an interesting car display in the foyer.




These lasted about three weeks.


Not so these gerberas, but nearly a week.


A UFO in the sky. Wonder what it was.


These horses and carts are a nuisance in this main thoroughfare, Swanston Street. They need to be moved elsewhere. How much for a thirty minute ride? $100.


These lads were playing a well known saxophone piece, so well known I can't remember the name.


A small exhibition at the Town Hall dedicated to a religious nutter who has roamed our streets for years, the shopping trolleys being full of 'literature'.



As you can guess, young girls love this carriage.


13 comments:

  1. "These horses and carts are a nuisance in this main thoroughfare, Swanston Street."

    I am not sure. Swanston St was a busy thoroughfare for many decades, but it has been banned to ordinary cars ages ago. Trams can still go down the centre of Swanston St, but the horses and carriages stick to the sides of the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, the are parked there at times they are not supposed to be there. They force bicycles out on to tram tracks. They take up parking space for delivery vehicles and police cars. They pull across in front of trams and delay trams. In spite of bags at the rear, horses leave a mess on the street. I really is the wrong place for them.

      Delete
  2. Would they not need to inform you of any changes or extensions planed, you have time to object I think.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite true Merle, but we have no right to view, so aside from parking and encroachment, there is not much valid to argue about.

      Delete
  3. The white blossom trees 'might' be Manchurian Pears.
    $100 for half an hour isn't cheap. Have you noticed whether it is mostly tourists, or do the horse and cart also get used for special events?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I think you are right. I had an idea they were pear trees. I was thinking white pear, but no matter. The horse carts are mostly hired by families, overseas tourists. Four friends at $25 each is not so bad, but for one family, rather a bit of money.

      Delete
  4. This was a nice walk about town :)
    The flowering trees could be the Manchurian Pear, they blossom white and are fast growing, leaves rounded and with a point. have a closer look towards autumn, see if they have small round berries, greenish with speckles. They would be undeveloped pears if I'm correct. Being an ornamental, the fruit doesn't develop past this berry stage.
    I like the 'Cinderella' carriage. Are they there all year? or just at certain "tourist" times? They probably get used for weddings a lot. I've seen a similar carriage here in Adelaide with bride and groom touring the streets between church and reception venue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, really, berries on them. I will look out. Yes, the horse carriages are there all year. There are more on weekends and Friday and Saturday nights, and as said to EC, for tourists.

      Delete
    2. Very few berries, I think my tree had four or maybe it was three berries. They certainly don't get covered in berries.

      Delete
  5. Andrew I am jealous of your flowering trees what a great spring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, spring is so variable here that the plants can get confused. After a few warm days, one of our balcony plants started to grow, but then it turned cold and it has just stopped.

      Delete
  6. Ah the meetings on empty rooftops. Probably nothing good being chatted about, perhaps nefarious business dealings that could there not be overheard or tapped. yes, I've been reading a lot of crime dramas of late. I don't like the horse drawn buggy rides anyhow, heard the horses are often not treated well and overworked. Such a soft heart I am. Religious freakazoids and their campaigns abound in our country and seem concentrated in this town where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, now you have me going. Was one person on the roof going to be pushed over the edge, but then had a reprieve? Animal activists here are very against the horses and buggies.

      Delete