Sunday, September 18, 2016

Sunday Selections

Joining in with River and others for Sunday Selections, with my contribution just being some random photos.

This metal utility cover looked new to me. Surely there is not an iron foundry in our inner northern suburb? Apparently there is, although it has moved to Coburg, which is still quite close. Davies & Baird is a very sophisticated and modern company.


What a queer plant. I think I may have seen a photo of one on River's blog. What is it?


Dan Murphy's, the liquor retailer moved from an old premises in Chapel Street to a new one across the road perhaps a decade or more ago. Dan's is now owned by Woolworths, a South African company, I believe. The clock that sat very comfortably in the old premises in a alcove came across to the new premises where it does not really work very well visually, but I am pleased it was kept.


There is a scare campaign underway about the construction of Metro Rail underground and the Domain Station, which will be constructed by cut and cover rather than like most of the rest of the tunnel which will be bored. Many elm and plane trees will be felled, but replanted. The figure for the number of trees to be cut down varies wildly, depending on which vested interest you listen to. The project will affect us, hopefully in a minor way. I don't mind the scare campaign though, as it may result in a better outcome. Our building is one of 12 apartment buildings, the G12, which is protesting against the impact of the construction of the station. I may write more about it later.


While I had seen crested pigeons in northern Victoria, I am fairly sure they have only been seen in Melbourne for around the last decade.


I had not seen the newspaper marker's marks for a couple of months, but he or she is back at one of my favourite outdoor cafes.



A little Swan Lake to promote an exhibition of the works of French impressionist painter Edgar Degas at the National Gallery of Victoria. The lasses were returning to the College of the Arts on the same tram I caught home. They were very good.


I think the Chemist Warehouse has closed at the corner of Elizabeth and Bourke Streets and has now opened its new shop where the electronics retailer Dick Smith's premises was, below ground level in the company of Japanese retailer Daiso. Daiso must be very happy with the extra bodies passing by the entrance to its store. Chemist Warehouse in the city is incredibly busy.


Another day, more newspaper markings. There does seem to be a focus on numbers.






Can you read this? We only bought a couple of things and something must have gone wrong with the scanner. We paid $00.04, 4 cents that is, for half a butternut pumpkin. Bargain, and we did not complain that we were being undercharged.


20 comments:

  1. Andrew I love the tree with red bow and saying save me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, that particular tree may well survive.

      Delete
  2. Do you find that now you are doing Sunday Selections you are noticing a lot more in your neighbourhood? I thought Woolworths was an American company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, while not a direct answer, when I am out I have blog photos on my mind. I was wrong about Woolworths. It is Australian owned.

      Delete
  3. I do know what the mystery plant is, but it is escaping me. Temporarily I hope.
    Chemist Warehouse is very, very busy here too.
    I am not certain who owns Woolworths now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I too hope temporarily. I really like CW, and many others seem to as well.

      Delete
  4. The French impressionist painter Edgar Degas was the star at this year's winter blockbuster at the National Gallery of Victoria. I think that he may not have been the nicest human being on the planet, but oh my.... he could paint!!

    No wonder so many viewers filled the galleries and the lectures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I was wondering about the success of the exhibition. I'll take it from you that it was very profitable of NGV.

      Delete
  5. Your newspaper mystery is fascinating .. My latest theories are, a child who is learning to recognise their numbers with a parent. Or an adult who has a serious anxiety disorder/obsession with numbers. Have you thought of asking the staff at the cafe to see if they notice anything. Of course, you could go super early and stuff the person up with your own pen and highlighter. Ooh .. Third theory, maybe it is more than one person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, 2 is possibility. Maybe I will ask staff one day. 3, the style seems the same, so the same person.

      Delete
  6. Definitely a scanner error with the pumpkin, half of one can't possibly be a mere 11 grams.
    The weird plant is an aeonium and how lovely to see one in flower. Mine haven't flowered yet, they're not mature enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks on both counts, River.

      Delete
  7. Ah the marker person, I recall when you have posted about this before, the mystery of it. It's nice when an error is made that benefits the customer. Like a Christmas present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, what annoys me is when the error is in their favour, you point it out, and it is almost like it is your fault.

      Delete
  8. Have you noticed the markings on a particular day of the week, that would make it easier in that if you had a few hours to spare you could do some real sleuthing and enjoy some people watching at the same time 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, at times I might be there twice and week and then maybe not for a month. It seems to happen before 10.30.

      Delete
  9. That was a mixed bag of things and facts.
    Merle......

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went to Woolies in Malvern Central and everything I weighed cost me 11 cents. I wish I'd stocked up now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I expect you really do. We did not realise until we left Coles and looked at the receipt, although R said he thought he noticed it.

      Delete