Thursday, September 08, 2016

Not an ad

I am 90% sure I never gave Jack Astor's my email address and a little over a year after dining there, I received some advertising. One reason I am sure I did  not give the company my email address is it is one I would not have used to sign up. Nor did I expect to ever return to Jack Astor's, so I would not have joined any loyalty scheme.



So by now you are wondering what or where is Jack Astor's? Maybe not, but I will tell you anyway. I believe it is a chain of licensed venues in Canada or perhaps only Toronto or even the province of Ontario. One was adjacent to our hotel in Toronto and we dined there our first night in Toronto. It was very pleasant and the temperature in the evening had dropped to a very comfortable level for outdoor dining. The food was fine and it was not an expensive place.

From memory the only two criticisms I had was the music was too loud (old man complaining about modern loud music) and the female service a bit cloying, no doubt hoping for a good tip. Here are some tips to get a good tip.

Recognise your patrons. Two older gay men are not interested in flirting with a female waiter. Maybe I should qualify that as perhaps two older gay men might not mind a flirty male waiter.

Harder for female waiters to groom us for tipping, but should one of them be intuitive, something along the lines of, "I've been on my feet for eight effing hours and believe me, there has not been one hot guy to serve and no matter how much cleavage I expose, the tips have been lousy and now I get stuck with two old queens with weird accents and from god knows where. Are you from England? I don't care really, I am just trying to be polite. You are Australian? No hope of a decent tip then. Eff this". That would have ensured a decent tip.

Contrast that to the older gay male bar person at Heartland Brewery at the Port Authority in New York who was almost flirtatious, tended to us with dedication, and presented us with two emblazoned shot glasses when we paid the bill.

When I wrote my Canada blog posts, I did mention Jack Astor's. I am guessing its promotion arm has picked that up and read no further, not realising we are far from being locals, hence the email. While there is a place for Jack Astor's in the world, should I visit Toronto again, I would seek out smaller and more local places to dine.

A bit off topic but one of our local satirical tv shows used to use the line, What would Putin do? that is the Russian President, when faced with a problem. This series they are saying, What would Justin do? Oh Jussy, what would you do? I have just earnt myself more penance and have to read even more about Canadian politics because I have shallowedly referred to Jussy.

20 comments:

  1. I hope your penance includes photos of Jussy. And feel sure it will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, are there better photos of Jussy than I have already posted?

      Delete
  2. It amazing how things are move about on the net.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Dora. Global Village used to be joke, but no longer.

      Delete
  3. *purrrr* Justin is lovely eye candy, please post photos ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayne, are these not enough? https://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2015/09/canadian-politics-101-and-little.html and https://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2016/07/jussy-for-our-pm.html

      Delete
    2. To paraphrase the Duchess of Windsor; one can never be too rich, too thin or have too many pics of Jussy.

      Delete
    3. Nice work Jayne. Never too many photos of Jussy.

      Delete
  4. A year is a long time for Jack's to have found you, you're probably just on a list somewhere with five million others.
    I don't like the idea of a service person constantly hovering, I'd probably tell her "everything is fine and you'll get a better tip if you leave me alone to enjoy my meal".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, would you really say that? Surely you would do as I do and not say anything.

      Delete
    2. I'm a meek and mild, take it as it comes person, but I do like to eat in peace. So yes, I would tell her.

      Delete
    3. I am afraid in America, hovering is the norm and it is easier to get used to it than fight against it, no matter how annoying. They even interrupt you mid conversation to ask if everything is ok.

      Delete
  5. What would mother say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I paint my mother in a very bad way and probably overdo it. She is very socially tolerant, except she does not actually know it. While no one wants to think of their mother and sex, nor would mothers want to think of their sons and sex. But Mother knows I know what she was like when she was younger and I expect she has a pretty good idea what I am about.

      Delete
  6. Oh you are funny with your Jussy love. But he's something else and we love him too, in America, all us old gals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, is there much envy of Canada in the US? I should think there is by people like yourself and not just for Jussy.

      Delete
  7. Your preferred treatment by overly cloying waitresses made me laugh out loud Andrew 😊 Jussy's not bad.. quite cute really.. but it's his brain that I find attractive ☺☺☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brain my arse, Grace. He would only have to whisper in French into your ear and you would melt like a love sick teenager.

      Delete