Thursday, September 15, 2016

Living in a controlled temperature environment

Midsummer it could be 40 degrees, over 100F  at Sister's house and she will say, it not really that hot is it. Damn you Sister, could you please turn on the air conditioning. Sister might say, isn't there a cooling breeze coming through? We freeze at Sister's house in the winter. Heating? Oh, you want heating. Heating is only turned on when Little Jo complains about her being cold in the house, or when I am brave enough to just switch heating on under the glare of both Sister and Bone Doctor. We have cooked in stinking heat at Sister's house as well as froze in the winter, to the point we are no longer inclined to visit Sister mid winter or mid summer. Sister has no compunction about switching our heating or cooling off here if it does suit her. The gentle warm circulating air is described 'as there is hurricane of hot air blowing on me'.

I just can't bear heating and cooling Nazi holier than thou types, and thankfully R and myself are on one with this. I am not going to sit around in a hat, coat and gloves at home when it is cold. I am not going to walk around in only my underwear when it is hot and mist myself from a bottle of water or point a fan at a dish of water.

The poor can't afford? We don't live in an extreme climate. It doesn't take much energy to warm or cool us. Look at what it costs per day, maybe a dollar or two. I will use our aircon to control the temperature of our home to a comfortable level, whether the weather is hot or cold and youse can all get ******.

God did not give us artificial heating and cooling for no reason. He meant for us to be comfortable.

Having said that, being spoilt in a temperature controlled environment, home, car, and work, we can become rather weak about facing weather elements. I confess that both R and myself have moaned this year about our long winter, although getting much warmer now (there has been a relapse back to winter). Before you know it, we will be complaining about the heat.

23 comments:

  1. I agree with you entirely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as well you do, Cranky.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I'm a complete heater whore, not ever giving that up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, nor reason to be cold, is there.

      Delete
  3. Andrew your sister loves saving her money

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, she does in some areas. She and her partner are the richest of any of us.

      Delete
  4. Yes. Though we have very different heat requirements here. It has happened that I have the evaporative cooler on, (and my feet out of the bedclothes to keep them cool) and himself turns his 'leccy blanket on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, awkward, but I'm with you.

      Delete
  5. I don't have either heating or air conditioning in my apartment. Its either windows opened or closed and clothing worn or not. That's my climate control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I noticed, Victor. The thermal mass of a building like yours means you will never get really hot or really cold, but I would certainly be wanting cooling.

      Delete
  6. I wonder how long it will be before we have air conditioning as standard in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, as you would know, it is increasingly being seen around Britain, but I think it will be a long time before it is widespread. I read this morning of someone arguing that your air con trains are making the trains hotter. Well, they can certainly make platforms hotter but as long as the air con is up to specification, then it should be be a very pleasant relief to step into a cool train on a hot day.

      Delete
  7. We've made the concession to a portable air-con a couple of years ago, thinking we may have to bite the bullet and go the whole hog and get a proper one installed.
    But, just one more Summer....maybe...2 more summers before we move....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayne, we started with just a portable unit and it serviced two houses over ten years. As long as you can have one room cool, then you are ok. I thought you would be moving sooner than that.

      Delete
  8. "Look at what it costs per day, a dollar or two."
    Yes, but the supply charge for that dollar or two's worth of power is crippling. I know the idea is to turn on the heating at the beginning of cold weather and just let it run, so it maintains the warmth. But heating is way more expensive than cooling and when I can get faster warmth from an electric bar heater, I'll take it. Especially in the bedroom where the airconditioner doesn't reach.
    In the summer I'm more likely to leave it running. I'm quite worried about how much my winter heating bill be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, while I know you are good with money, my mother was put on a plan to repay her electric debt and cover her future bills. She pays $65 per fortnight at the Post Office. Her arrears are nearly paid and the amount will then reduce. I deserved to be challenged on saying a dollar or two. Some people just do not have a dollar or two spare each day.

      Delete
    2. Here in SA with our "highest electricity prices in the world" there was news recently that we might get yet another price hike.
      YIKES!!
      I texted my kids to see if they'd like to move to Melbourne and they all said it would be too far to get to work on time (*~*)

      Delete
  9. The Irish method is best, what you do is have winter in summer and summer in winter.
    However, A cold cooling shower in summer beats being overdressed in winter. and also provides an excuse for a cold beer or two or three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vest, should I conclude winter is the the best time to visit Ireland? I am doubtful. I can cope better with cold than heat.

      Delete
  10. I'm not sure God created air conditioning and heaters Andrew, more like floods, hurricanes and earthquakes 😊 I do agree with you though, if you actually have these facilities you should use them when the need arises!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, well He did make us smart enough to invent them. Old people die at home in the heat because they won't use their cooling for fear of the cost.

      Delete
  11. That's kind of stupid to not make use of heat or air when one could, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, it is about cost for most people. Power is cheaper for pensioners here, and that helps.

      Delete