Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Interrobang

For youse edjication. I was passing by the tv when a quiz question caught me. Some might think I am ignorant but I don't like being ignorant about some things, so how come I had never heard of an interrorbang before? R had not heard of the word either and suggested it was some text speak.

It can also be spelt interabang. If I had a typewriter, I could show you how it should look. I would type a question mark and then backspace and put an exclamation over the top of the question mark. However in these sophisticate electronic days, I can't do that, so it is typed as ?! I know there are all sorts of hidden things on a keyboard, so perhaps it can be done properly.

Interestingly it is used in more than just the English language.

So you need some context. The best I can come up with is a line from a movie I have never seen, but so many know the line anyway. Paul Hogan in Crocodile Dundee: "You call that a knife?! This is a knife", as he is threatened with a knife and then pulls out his own monster knife.

Useful? I don't know. I can't see it catching on really. Have you heard of interrorbang?

17 comments:

  1. I had heard of it. And suspect it will (has?) catch on with those for whom everything is AMAZING. Or AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome comment, EC. You must get out more than I do. I was in town the other day a young man asked me which tram to catch to go somewhere. Apparently the simple information I gave him was awesome, or maybe it was me who was awesome. Something was awesome. I suppose he meant, thanks.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:27 am

    Andrew is Awesome. There I said it for you. I know you are too modest to think of it for yourself. - Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, I know I am awesome. It is just convincing other people to agree that is the problem.

      Delete
    2. You're up early, aren't you?

      Delete
    3. Anonymous7:25 am

      This morning I got up at 4am. Sometimes I just can't sleep. Retirement can be a bugger. - Ian

      Delete
    4. Restless in the humidity? Don't be so cheap and turn the air con on.

      Delete
  3. Interrorbang is new to me, never ever heard it before. Who makes up these silly words? Was it made up all those years ago when the Paul Hogan movie came out? Or is it more recent, perhaps made up just for the quiz show? I'm getting out my dictionaries, bet I don't find it in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you may find it in an online dictionary or...ummm, is it called urban dictionary. The Paul Hogan example was just mine. The one in Wikipedia was I think, 'That's a hat?!'. As it is used in other languages, it must have some credence.

      Delete
  4. Just read EC's comment and stand corrected. Apparently it is out there as a real word. I've just never heard it and already know I will never use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I am actually quite pleased you won't be iterrorbanging all over your blog.

      Delete
  5. Can honestly say I have been interrobanging of late with my exclamations of horror at the lack of Oz history STILL.
    Loved your Yarra walk, reminds me to drag The Spouse out for anotheree along the Yarra, thanks for the lovely pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jayne. I often think of you and wonder how you, The Spouse and The Lad are going. Good to see Our Great Southern Land back in action and I skim through your Dunolly blog posts as they arrive in my reader, looking for juicy stories.

      Delete
  6. I have interrobanged unknowingly a few times Andrew, but as my Melbourne editor I rely on you to point it out scathingly if I ever do it again 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Grace? I don't think I like the idea of you interrobanging, but each to their own.

      Delete
  7. Nope, hadn't heard. news to me. You have become an educator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, you have now been edjicated.

      Delete