Monday, September 19, 2016

I'm hungry

Old Indian saying, 'slowly slowly catchy monkey'. Things are softening at The Highrise. While there was no dinner again tonight, I found some beautifully presented beef curry, rice, peas and carrots in the fridge for dinner. It was from last week and only a very small serve.

R is out tomorrow, taking old people to some outer suburb for lunch. He gets a free lunch. I will cook fried rice tomorrow night, lest I starve to death. R may or may not eat some. He has barely eaten for two days, so he must be hungry. I bought him a doughnut today from Bread Top at QV, but it sits uneaten on the bench. I think he did have a packet cup of soup for dinner.

But I am hungry for a proper meal. I am not game to have the other half of the can of soup from last night that sits in fridge. I left it out overnight on the stove top before putting it into the fridge this morning. I will have it for lunch, when ambulances are not so busy.

Today I pondered what I would have for lunch when I was out. Not having had a proper dinner last night, I justified having KFC, only a couple of chicken wings and a few chips. I only ever buy a snack at the chain fast food places, but I would die for a big bucket of original recipe fried KFC chicken and see the grease run down my hand to my wrist and then down my arm.

16 comments:

  1. Andrew what a pity I live so far from you I will cook some proper meal for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is happening? No regular meals, life does not sound good in the Highrise. I will be away for the next three weeks and I don't won't to return to find you have been wasting away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I will survive. So where are you off to this time?

      Delete
  3. I am glad to hear that there has been at least a partial thaw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:14 pm

    I remember when Kentucky Fried tasted of 11 secret herbs and spices. Yummy and no good for you. Now it tastes so bland they give you packets of tomato or chilli sauce to add some flavour to the meal. As for the partial thaw, perhaps global warming will hasten a kiss and makeup session. - Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, not having had the original recipe for some time, I bow to your knowledge. Step backwards tonight.

      Delete
  5. Do I have to come and have stern words to you both?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, you could do some counselling.

      Delete
  6. The soup should be fine as long as you boil it for at least a minute to kill any bacteria that may or may not have set up house in there. And even then, if the first mouthful ha you thinking 'this doesn't taste quite like it should', then chuck it down the sink and buy that bucket of chicken or something else tasty and not so good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes of course. Boil the soup, not heat it to lukewarm in the microwave. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. The microwave radiation probably kills everything. I would think it would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, no it doesn't. I know far too many people who have just reheated leftovers quickly in the microwave and spent time later at a hospital with food poisoning. Reheating just doesn't get the food hot enough to kill bacteria, to do that you would need to 'cook' it in the micro and for food that is already cooked that would just dry it out to the point of being inedible.

      Delete
    2. Might be killing us too, Strayer.

      Thank Dr River. That is very helpful.

      Delete