Monday, September 19, 2016

Equinox

I have a few Equinox like dates. The Australian equinoxes (you prefer equinnoxies?) fall at end of calendar months. Spring begins the 1st of September. Autumn/Fall begins the 1st of March. Europe, Britain and North America? prefer a better date, the 22nd of those mentioned months, I believe. Much more sensible. It can be stinking hot on the first of March here, but by the 22nd, it will have cooled and autumn is on the horizon.

I have my own ways of judging the seasons. Spring arrives when we get our first day of 20 degrees. Autumn arrives when we get our first day under 20 degrees. Winter has arrived when we get a week of temperatures below 20 degrees and summer has arrived when we get a week over over 20 degrees. (20 is 68F)

Then there is my shower that I judge the seasons by. Twice a year in spring and autumn for about a month, I can just turn my hot and cold tap on in my shower and the water temperature will be right. In winter I turn both taps on and then reduce the cold. In the summer I turn the hot tap on, then the cold and then back off the hot water.

Cold water is stored in a tank on the roof before being pumped around the building, so if the earth is not responsible for warming the cold water, then it must warm a little in the tank.

It was rather wet last week, so I gave the balcony plants a leaf wash. The rain was coming in on an easterly and unusually completely wet the balcony, and my socks too when I walked out there in them and did not look down. There has been flooding in the western part of the state, and with some more falls tomorrow and Wednesday, more flooding is expected. Of course many farmers will complain that the rain is coming at the wrong time, because that is what farmers do.



14 comments:

  1. I count in a similar way to you. Summer ended in Sweden last Friday when the temperature suddenly dropped a bunch of degrees. Winter will arrive with the first snow, hopefully not before late December or even early next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stefan. Thanks for the comment. Sorry about your weather. I struggle with anyone who blogs using Google Plus, but in your case, your blog is good and I will follow you as best I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you re the shower temps Andrew, we have solar heating for the water and in summer it is scaldingly hot, we have to be so careful. Didn't expect to see Steffe visiting above, he's lovely, you'll like him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I guess as long as you are aware of what the temperature will be, that is ok. Children are a concern though. Stefan has a good blog. I am just not sure how to follow it like I do others.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you about the equinox thing. Starting our seasons on the first of the months seems lazy. And wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I wonder why it is so in Australia.

      Delete
    2. It's that laid-back Aussie laziness, "near enough, she'll be right mate!"
      :(

      Delete
  5. Hah, I put my plants out too. My windows and balcony door were wet, which they rarely are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, yeah, it is not often we get weather from the east and invariably it means rain.

      Delete
  6. My shower has a mixer tap, (all my taps are mixers)and in summer I leave the handle straight down for a comfortable shower, in the winter I nudge it about 15 degrees to the left and get a shower where I have to inch under the spray a bit at a time until I get used to the scalding heat,
    mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you place must have had a renovation at some point to have mixer taps. Interesting about your water temperature, guessing the cold would come straight from the mains water pipe.

      Delete
    2. Not sure when the last renovation was, but it was when all units had taps for washing machines installed either in bathrooms or kitchens, whichever was bigger, and the old communal laundry rooms were emptied of machines and locked up forever as they have asbestos in them. Taps were changed over at the same time I believe.

      Delete
  7. Fall is not officially here, but when the rains begin, I count it as fall has fallen. And the rains have begun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I see strong signs of autumn on European blogs.

      Delete