Monday, September 12, 2016

Bad news Good news

Often enough I am not home to see the 6pm commercial tv news. Often I am not home to see the Australian Broadcasting Corporation tv news at 7pm. I was home tonight to watch the ABC news and I was looking forward to it. Instead, I tuned out. It was all so depressing.

I did come across some good news today though, which actually quite surprised me. I thought Spaniards would in general be supporters of the cruelty to bulls, such as the events of running of the bulls, and spearing of the bulls. Part of their culture, what?

Apparently this is not so and I am very pleased to relate this. The Guardian informs me that thousands of Spaniards rallied in Madrid to protest against these cruelties to bulls. There has been some progress in Spain, as you can see from the inserted clips below from The Guardian.

I believe in the filter down effect of stopping the abuse of animals. We can't lecture other countries too harshly until we are clear of conscience at home, and we are not there yet. I hear my neighbour, The Senator, is for banning the live trade export of cattle and sheep. He will bargain over that with other parties and may or may not be successful, but it is a good start.

Anyway, I was truly surprised and pleased to learn of this protest. Good on you Spaniards protesting against extreme animal cruelty.

The regional government of Castilla y Leon in June banned the killing of bulls at town festivals.

Bullfights are a national shame and if they represent me, then I am not Spanish

The Madrid protesters held up banners saying: “Bullfighting, the school of cruelty” and “Bullfighting, a national shame”.

“I think our laws should prohibit the torture of animals as a form of entertainment,”

said it was “time to end bullfighting and all other bloody spectacles”.

Meanwhile Valencia, Spain’s third largest city, has banned the tradition of “bous embolats”, setting bulls loose with lighted torches attached to their horns .

Bullfighting and the Bourbons should be in museums.

Aficionados are not giving up without a struggle. They see bullfighting as an art that is an integral part of Spanish culture, like flamenco.

18 comments:

  1. It's a start... as for those who consider animal cruelty an art form; perhaps they should experience it from the bull's standpoint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranky, it is with glee that I at times see the bulls have a win.

      Delete
  2. This for and against bull fighting last since year and years, even when I was in my 30th, now apparently they get more civilized and it's only the old once who stuck to this tradition ! Spanish people in general are not very kind to animals, that's well known by tourists. Especially British tourists took their defence and created shelters for cats and dogs and have them spayed. And the bullfighting is forbidden now (officially) because of the pressure of the European Union ! I am sure on the countryside they still do it !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, it is slow but sure progress. Sadly animal life is not respected in so many countries. I like that British set up animal shelters in Spain and I guess elsewhere too.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely agree with Cranky, there is something dreadfully wrong with a person who enjoys inflicting pain on others, whether animal or human! The news is way too depressing, I often wonder while watching if they deliberately omit any good news there might be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, most tv stations do have a short piece of good news most days. Our ABC often does it after the weather.

      Delete
  4. It seems such an outdated sport these days with no rhyme or reason for its existence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, along with badger baiting and fox hunting but they are very minor compared to what happens to so many bulls.

      Delete
  5. I find the news very difficult. It often spins me into to dark places. Consequently I rarely watch it - and missed this good news snippet. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, that is what I was saying to R, that is, maybe I should just tune out of the news. The world won't change without me knowing the details of every bad thing.

      Delete
  6. I missed the news last night, also Q&A I avoided cos that Rohan Dean creature was going to be on and without tobacco I may have done something or someone a nasty mischief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jayne, I am a bit ignorant about Dean, but I don't like the sound of him from what Google is bringing up about him.

      Delete
  7. I'm surprised you're only just now hearing about the bullfights, bull running thing.
    I heard months ago that the bull running may soon become a thing of the past, and more people than not would prefer the bull fights to end.
    Lately, I haven't been watching the news at all, not even to get the weather report because they've changed that system. Instead of a full weather report we get an abbreviated version with the full weather in the Today Tonight program, which I rarely want to watch. So I ignore the whole shemozzle and listen to the expected daily temperature on the radio with the 8am news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, I had not heard of protests against although I did know it is a dying sport. I know what you mean about the weather on Channel 7. We usually turn the tv over after the brief and fairly useless early report and watch the quiz show on ABC.

      Delete
  8. I went to a bullfight on a visit to Spain in 1973. It was all very colourful and atmospheric until the bull was done away with and dragged unceremoniously off the arena. I felt ill at the sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, one can only hope it is a quick and clean kill, but I don't think it is.

      Delete
  9. It's a horrible thing to torture animals as entertainment. Some deride me for I like Hemmingway's books, some of them, and he loved the bullfights. Well if you have to agree with everything about a person before you enjoy what they produce probably none of us would eat, see movies or TV or read books. That said Hemmingway was a monster in many ways but he wrote well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite so. You don't even have to agree on everything with friends or family.

      Delete