Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Where to for coffee

There are rare days when we don't have much to do and don't have anything planned. Hey, we need to get out, for a little while at least. One of our favoured things to do on such a day is have coffee and a bite to eat at Station Pier. Sometimes there are sea creatures to see in the water. There is always people to see. Gosh, once we lucked it when is was open day for the renovated Spirit of Tasmania, a ferry across Bass Strait to our island state, Tasmania.


Station Pier is quite historic, aside from being a cargo landing place, it was also the place for passenger ships to arrive and depart, as do cruise liners today, and where so many immigrants to Australia arrived.



This old crane looked to be in good shape and noted there were lights for night time illumination.


There is a beach there too. Note the lovely blue skies? Nevertheless, it was cold, around 13 degrees.


Well, not really a beach.



11 comments:

  1. Our outings almost never include a cuppa and something to eat. The cost involved offends himself. Which I think is silly. Words have been said. To no avail.
    Station Pier looks like a great place to watch people/things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, half the pleasure of an outing is to have coffee and watch the passing parade of people.

      Delete
  2. How long has Station Pier been there? Possibly it's where we stepped off the boat when we arrived in Australia in 1953.
    I often have days with nothing to do, but don't bother making plans, too often I wake up barely able to move and feel bad about having to cancel what I planned. So I wait and see; if I wake up and bounce out of bed like I was five, I might decide to go somewhere. But take my own water and a snack, I don't fancy paying $10 for a sandwich. I have occasionally bought lunch when out, but it's rare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I expect it was where you arrived if you arrived by ship from Europe. I think the pier dates back to 19th century and its adjacent almost demolished sister, Princes Pier, to a similar time.

      Delete
  3. Station Pier was and is such an evocative place. Both Joe and my families landed here, although my in laws went on to the next port of call (Sydney).

    And, each time we have sailed to Tasmania, this has been Excitement Central. All that remains now is to try the coffee and nibblies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I guess you did not arrive at the same time though, on the same ship. One day we will make the ferry trip.

      Delete
  4. As you know Andrew 😃 people watching while enjoying a coffee is one of my favourite things! Hope my favourite Melbourne couple are fit and happy.. I'm looking forward to reading what you've been up to while I've been having my 'funny five minutes' 😊😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Grace, and a less kind person might suggest perving, but I shan't. Do have a look at my post about Gracetown. http://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2016/08/gracetown.html

      Delete
  5. Andrew the Station pier looks interesting..!3C degrees in Poland is nice weather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, 13 here is a bit cold but not unbearably cold. I think this winter we had one day where is was only 9. Not where I live, but on the outskirts of Melbourne, areas can often be 0 degrees overnight, so it does get quite cold here at times.

      Delete
  6. There's a bit of beach there I saw.

    ReplyDelete