Friday, August 05, 2016

Weekend away 2/2

Setting up did not take too long. There was a another room for the children to hang out in and we set up tables and chairs in both rooms. The devices for moving tables and chairs around are amazing. Stacks of chairs can easily lifted and the tables are on a trolley and easily fold out. I set up a dvd player in the kids room and grappled with the technology of the wall projector. There were quite clear directions and dire warnings about not to attempt to rewire anything. There were four remote controls involved and switches and buttons to set, the end result being that there could be a slideshow of a younger Bone Doctor, or music clips to match what the dj machine was playing. I also half filled the urn for tea and coffee but only three people had a hot drink, so half filling the urn was too much and they could have just boiled the kettle. 


Sister arrived with the balloons and the birthday cake. Cup cakes are very fashionable at the moment.


After our efforts, we rewarded ourselves at the Queenscliff bakery, Rolling Pin. The last time we were here, the place was manic. It was more civilised mid winter, mid afternoon.


R and I took a wander in the main street of Queenscliff, Hesse Street. See the wattle bird on the bicycle. They are quite noisy and aggressive birds but a magpie was having none of that and attempted to chase the wattle bird away, to no avail. It would just duck out of the way.


A very furry cat in the street. While it enjoyed being stroked, its tail was moving ninety to the dozen. We left it attending to some personal hygiene.


Ok, the party. As I said it began at 5.30 and we arrived about 6.20. Sister promised to drop us back at our digs whenever we were ready. At the desk in the foyer of the venue were tags with a rubber band to loop around your wrist. Here was what was on mine. Can anyone guess the answer? I had to find the person that night who had the connected tv ad product name. Some were based on songs and others on movies. It was a good way to get people chatting and mixing. We both found our matches.


I knew two of Sister's friends, but that was all and I tend not to be the type to step forward. Fortunately others are not so restrained, so we met a number of people and had a lot of chats. One woman introduced me to her attractive younger blonde partner. Looks belied her having a vice like handshake of the type I have not experienced by a bloke. Once people learnt I was Sister's brother, they were more friendly again. The theme was the eighties with a number of enlarged ads from the time on the walls, football news and record albums of the time. Most people had made an effort dressing for the eighties theme, except for me. There really were some terrific outfits and I am pleased that Sister and Bone Doctor have at least two attractive young male friends. The nicest looking younger guy, perhaps 25, looked very grumpy and unsmiling. He immediately went and picked up a can of beer. Just watch, I said to R. He will have two of those and be smiling. Sure enough, he was and he had the most beautiful teeth and smile. Sister said towards the end of the night he was karaoke performing and quite a good singer. Most people were 35 to 55 and I think there were about 50 adults and 20 children. 

In a remarkable coincidence, one woman we chatted to grew up in Burwood, close to where we had a unit. The lovely next door neighbour we had there was the one who when we told that we were moving to Balaclava or Prahran, said, it will be good for you to be among your own kind! She meant no harm, perhaps thinking that outer suburbs did not suit us. I recounted this to the person we were chatting to, and she said, it wasn't JK, was it? Sure enough, she knew her well and her mother and JK were close friends. She confirmed the worst, which we had assumed when Christmas cards stopped arriving from JK two years ago. She had died. 

There was  plenty of snack food and there seemed to be plenty of drinks, but at 8.30 the red wine ran out. Hot pizzas were delivered at 6.30 and again at 7.30 and they disappeared quickly. Speeches and cake ceremony were finished by 9.00. Bone Doctor's outfit was her teenage girl guides uniform. How many of us at forty could fit into our teenage clothes?  Then the real partying started with singing, dancing and hi-jinks. We had decided we'd had enough and Sister was enjoying herself so much, it seemed a shame to ask her to take us home. I decided to call a cab to take us back and by 9.30 we were on our way. It was a really good party. Sister is terribly good at organising such things and doesn't get waylaid by fuss and fine detail. Bone Doctor just follows orders.

 A couple of observations. In the reverse of what I remember from my younger days, the older women were the ones who had a few drinks while their husbands limited themselves and had to drive. There were a number of boys there of various ages. As boys do, they brought a along a ball and they had a great time playing football outside with some girls joining in. No surprise about that, except they did not choose to play Aussie Rules with the oval ball, but soccer, with the round ball.

Next morning R and I had a light breakfast of fruit toast and coffee at the same cafe as the day before and again the sun was shining so we sat outdoors. We had already checked out of accommodation. We were to meet Sister, Bone Doctor and Little Jo for brunch at Queenscliff Harbour at 10.45. We were early so we took a bit of a drive around Queenscliff and somehow ended up at the party venue adjacent to the station and Pozieres was shunting carriages into position for the day's operation.


It is only a little shunting engine but I think it does make the trip to the other terminus at Drysdale. The engine was made in 1919 in Kilmarnock, Scotland and was built for service in WWI. Subsequently it was sold to an Australian mining company in Broken Hill.


Still a little early, we kept driving around. This is Vue Grand in Hesse Street.


Now in Gellibrand Street. I don't know the name of this building. Later edit: With help from Hels, it is the Queenscliff Hotel. Hels has herself posted photos of fine Queenscliff buildings.


The Ozone, built as accommodation for tourists, many of who would have arrived  by a steam ferry by the same name from Melbourne. The railway line opened in 1879 but the ferry would have been much faster.


Next door to The Ozone.


Magpies in this area must feel very safe. I have never seen such tame maggies. This is where we met for brunch. Obviously R and I weren't that hungry, so we just had more toast, this time sourdough. Unusually for me, a coffee addict, I ordered a small pot of earl grey tea, and very fine it was too.


Got it, among our non visible legs. 


After brunch we went back to the community hall to clean up, which did not take too long. Little Jo sang on the karaoke machine, then Sister had a sing and then I was outside doing something as R and Sister sang a duet. Then the man arrived to take machine away. Oh yes, presents. R and myself stuck with the eighties theme and bought Bone Doctor a Tetris lamp. The blue part is fixed but the other colours can be rearranged.


Sister bought Bone Doctor a second hand eighties games console. I had forgotten how to play them, but Little Jo gave me a crash course. I can only remember Pacman but we played some other games too. Naturally I was soundly beaten. It is identical to this one but does not need money to play. Gee, they are slow to react to what you tell them to do. Sister had also bought Bone Doctor dinner on Melbourne's restaurant tram and a night's accommodation in the city, which they did the week before her birthday.

And so ended our weekend away. We headed for home early afternoon and did little once home.


Answer to My Dad Picks the Fruit is that it was a tv ad for Cottees Cordial and I found the person who had Cottees Cordial tag, rather she found me.

21 comments:

  1. What a great party and so much organising to make it come together. That wrist band game sounded a good idea to get things going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, Sister is just so good at organising, things and people. I could say it comes from being a school teacher, but I won't :)

      Delete
  2. Love the tetris lamp.
    And am reassured to know how many other people struggle with social occasions (particularly among strangers).
    Isn't it a small world though? How amazing to meet up with someone who knew (and could update) a bit of your past. Even if that update was a sad confirmation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, alcohol is called a social lubricant for very good reasons. I was the first to sit down on my own on a chair on along the wall.

      Delete
  3. 8.30 and no red wine
    What fresh hell was that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, have to switch to white then, which I did for my last drink. It wasn't a late party.

      Delete
  4. What a fun party. Pizza, wine and cupcakes. Yum.

    Good for Bone Doctor fitting into her school girl clothes.
    I've got a pair of shorts I wear that belonged to my son when he was a boy. Of course they do have an elastic waist. grin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, that is still pretty good. I have a pair of white jeans that I have kept from my early twenties, 26" waist. I can't even get my foot into a leg, never mind any further.

      Delete
  5. Great time had by all. Your unnamed building is the Queenscliff Hotel, another of those really elegant Victorian places that served Melbourne holiday makers so well. Love Vue Grand, Ozone, Palace Hotel etc etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, amazing that they survived but I suppose there wasn't a such a population pressure then.

      Delete
  6. A highly successful weekend! I like the Tetris lamp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I look forward to seeing the lamp set up. We thought about one for ourselves but deferred.

      Delete
  7. enjoyed your sharing and loved pics quite a collection

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the old Victorian building. But sure wouldn't want to live in time period.
    Cup Cakes are pretty popular. My oldest son and his wife when they got married. Serve them at there reception.

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, I thought cup cakes must be popular in your country. The trend had to start somewhere.

      Delete
  9. Wow, that sounds like a party! Fun, too. The cat attending to personal hygiene made me smile and is an excellent photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I did take a face on photo of the cat but it was out of focus.

      Delete
    2. Strayer, I did take a face on photo of the cat but it was out of focus.

      Delete
  10. The restaurant tram was a great outing that we did in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I didn't expect too much when we had dinner or the restaurant tram but I was impressed, as I staggered off the tram.

      Delete