Monday, August 29, 2016

The weekend that was Pt 1

Must remember to wash Mother's knickers.   How come there hasn't been a brassier to wash? I tipped the supermarket bag of knickers into the washing machine. I thought there were only three pair, so I put the washing machine on its lowest water level setting. Just as well as when the cycle had completed and I took Mother's kickers out to put in the dryer and there was only one pair! She had sent home a bag of laundry for us to to but all there was one pair of knickers.

It has been a social weekend. It was the Brighton Antique Dealer's 81st birthday and nine of us joined her at The Dick hotel for dinner on Friday night.  As she always gives us such nice gifts, we bought her a bottle of Moet for her birthday.  She does love champers. I am out of touch.  I thought Moet would cost about $35. It was more.

Staff came around to take our dinner orders and we declined as we prefer to order at the counter and pay, thus avoiding the bill division pain after we have eaten. Mine Hostess visited us at the table and told us we could order at the table and then pay individually as we left. That seemed odd, but we agreed.

Subterfuge was underway as when we went to pay for the meal, it had already been paid for by BAD. Too kind and generous she is at times, but her tongue can be harsh and cruel. BAD had two friends with her, both of whom we had met before. They are not a couple but both are older gay men and the Australian one is pleasant. The other is an African American born retired teacher and he is not so easy to get along with. If it means anything to Americans, when it was suggested he did not have a strong accent, he replied, that is because I am from Philadelphia . He went on to say people from Philadelphia and Boston are different to the rest of American population, well they were until people from everywhere else in The States started moving to the two cities. Let's just say he was quite formal. It was a nice enough evening, chatting with friends.

Saturday night we were going out to a city bar to party! It was Fire Fighting Nephew's betrothed 30th birthday celebration, held at a Scandinavian themed bar called Du Nord. Tradie Brother arrived here just as we finished an early dinner and we caught the tram into town together. TB made a show on the tram of being an ocker from the country and not understanding the technology of stored value public transport card. He did have a Myki card, but when in preparation he went to a shop to check the balance, it could not be read, so he bought another. As his old one was a newer grey card, it can't have expired, so he will have to go somewhere to have the balance credited to his new card. He is not really a country lad, just a fifty year old outer suburban lad.

Tradie Brother got involved with vegan folk at a get together in the Bourke Street Mall as we walked to the venue, pointing out to the vegans how a month or so ago he killed his fattened calf and had eaten it and Blackie tasted very nice. Aside from us agreeing that Blackie did taste very nice, as we had a share, I told him we are immediately going to report him to his son once we reached the venue.

Fire Fighting Newphew was at the bar and greeted us. I immediately noted the Scandinavian influence to the bar. There was blonde wood tables and seats. But so far as I could see, that was the extent of it.

While I hoped the bar was in a laneway, so I could thus extol the wonderfulness of Melbourne's laneway bars, it was not, fronting Little Bourke Street. It was clearly a cool place, but I am not sure why. I ordered two beers and a glass of house white wine and handed over $50. I received $10 change. What? I looked up on the wall at the drinks list, and fair enough. That is the cost. A scotch and soda or Bacardi and Coke were cheaper than beer and wine and did Tradie Brother go on about the cost of the beer. He swigged some scotch from his flask when it was his turn to buy drinks at the bar, and was told he could not do that.

Ex Sis in Law was there, along with Oldest niece and her husband, and Fire Fighting Niece too, with her very glam friend who slept overnight at our place a number of years ago when she was just a kid. She was nice to us.

Listening to the birthday speeches, we  learnt that the 30 year old birthday girl is a very nice person, a good organiser and just a wonderful person. We wondered how FF Nephew managed such as catch, but he is a good lad. I speak for R too, we are amazed at his social fluidity, how he is so equally at home living in the very multi cultural Footscray, working in the country, brought up in our outer suburbs but is so at ease in big city environs.

Birthday girl's mother is an orchardist and she explained pricing levels of the sale of fruit at farmer's markets to us, be it country or trendy suburbs. It is as you would expect, what the market will bear. She confirmed what I already knew. You live in a trendy inner area of the city, you pay a lot more.

The birthday cake was a sight to behold, multi tiered.

As I had to work the next day, we left about 10.15. There is more to say about the night but that is enough for now. 

10 comments:

  1. My goodness. You have been busy, and social.
    While my mama was in hospital (for nine months after a major stroke) I did at least one load of washing for her each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I suppose it is a good thing that mummies like their clothes to be clean, but to what extent?

      Delete
  2. I'm tired just reading about your outing I stopped drinking a while back now as I would doze off in the middle of my dinner, of course the beer fairy continues the tradition but he is a bit dozy in front of the tellie after a night out.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say Merle, I say love, I say dearest Mad Merle, there is nothing wrong with face planting into your ravioli if you are 'tired'.

      Delete
  3. Not sure what is knickers are. Had to google Moet it been a while since I had any. I believe I had some at my youngest wedding.
    Depends on what part of United States we all have our own way of talking. I'm up what they call the Northwest. I'm about seven hour drive to Pacific.
    It been a while but I do like a good scotch.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, knickers are underwear. Scotch is good to balance life.

      Delete
  4. Only one pair of knickers? Is mother going commando?
    nice hearing about the party, but horrified at the cost of drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I expect Mother has other Minions to do her laundry and remember I bought her three new pair.

      Delete
  5. You do get around have great stories. I think beer and liquor are cheaper here. I recently invested in a half gallon of cheap wine to have on hand, seems to keep my stomach in order. The cheap burgandy, a combination of many dark grape wines, cost about $5. Beer has come up and micro brews are quite trendy and one bottle at a cheap grocer might cost $4. That would be a 16 oz bottle. I don't drink beer anymore although I like it. It puts me to sleep. Your nights out and descriptions of your relatives make me want to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are generally cheaper, Strayer, but we can buy 5 litres of wine for less than $20. That's just over a gallon, and you can find pubs that will sell beer by the glass for $3 for 10 ounces.

      Delete