Wednesday, August 03, 2016

The Rich Uncles

Apparently that is how we are seen. Fire Fighting Newphew was broke in London as was Ex Sis in Law who went there and met up with him when he was living in Glasgow. They did some fun holidaying together but had run out of money. A metaphorical telegram arrived, please send money. I sent them $2000, half of my life savings back then. Sis in Law never mentioned the money lent again, but I did mention it to FF Nephew and he repaid the money. The lad had a good credit with me.

I forget what they wanted to see now when he and his Jewish Betrothed were in South America, but they had run out of funds. He did not ask but I gave him a gift of $300 as he had repaid the earlier borrowed money and I told him not to tell anyone. So far as I know he didn't tell anyone.

Fire Fighting Niece is still in Glasgow and in spite of her tour already being paid for, living for free in Amsterdam for a few nights, living for free in Newcastle with R's Sister, she has gone through her $8,500 spending money, with only a couple of hundred left and another week to go. She sent a message that she could now not afford to visit Ireland and did we know of somewhere cheap she could stay near Heathrow. She did not directly ask for money, but the message was clear.

R was a bit cross with FF Niece as the last time he spoke to her on Face Book communication, in his words, 'she blew me off'. What a curious phrase and I think I understand what it means. She called last night on Face Book.

R spoke to her and said that if she was desperate, we would send her some money. I flippantly said, if you are going back to London, hang around Soho and you will get guys to buy you food and drinks, and go back to the hostel where you stayed earlier. She said she does not use guys like that. Even more flippantly, I told her to fill in her last week by going to Brighton and she can hang out with gays on the beach. At that point R told me to shut up. Surprisingly and cheaply, she has booked a 14 hour duration bus trip from Glasgow to Brighton where she will hang out for a few days. That there is a bus from Glasgow to Brighton amazes me. She will save one night's accommodation by being on the bus.

Yesterday Ex Sis in Law called. As soon as I saw it was she calling, I knew what it would be about. Ex Sis in Law is very broke, as is FF Niece's father, Tradie Brother. Apparently FF Niece called FF Nephew, just back from New York and also broke, in some distress, and Nephew suggested to her to ask the Rich Uncles for a loan. Those were his words. I have used the term for us, but I don't remember doing so in front of FF Nephew, but perhaps I have. Maybe I have made a joke, don't worry, The Rich Uncles will pay. So, the call from Ex Sis in Law was about sending her daughter some money. Broke as Ex Sis in Law and her husband are, how come they drive and can afford to drive much more expensive cars than we do? One of life's oddities is that some very poor people have the latest and nicest cars, when at times I drive our 16 year old bomb to work, a place where car status his very high.

Nevertheless as R always does, he came good for my family. He contacted Oldest Niece for FF Niece's banking details, which were unhelpful for a direct deposit. FF Niece has some sort of cash card, credited via her travel agency, Student Travel Association, but no credit card. I suppose that is to her credit. Oldest Niece made a call to her friend who works at STA and with a couple of calls by R, just a couple of hours later, FF Niece has $500 to tide her over for the rest of holiday and until she receives her tax refund and will offer to repay us. If she does not offer, I will be very cross. She will, and when she does, we will say, don't worry about it.  Now I have savings of $10,000, it is not such a huge amount and R will pay half the $500. While he constantly whinges and moans about my family, he does more for them than any of our family do.

It matters not so much. At the end of the day, they will inherit our supposed wealth anyway, less the reverse mortgage, haha. They have just had a bit in advance. While Oldest Niece is only working part time, and we don't know much about how much her husband earns, and they have a toddler and a baby, I would have thought Oldest Niece might have had funds for her sister, but it seems not, or perhaps we just easier touches. Que sera.

20 comments:

  1. Your generosity does you credit but I hope you are not being taken for a ride by your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, no, they aren't like that and I am not known for my generosity with money, but I do know what it is like to run out of money when travelling, as I experienced as a teenager and had to call my grandmother to 'wire' me some money.

      Delete
  2. You are a great generous man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, only sometimes.

      Delete
  3. You and R are both lovely. And supportive. And understandably rich in friends (some of whom are related to you).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wonder EC, when we don't hear from them for ages. But they are young and we are of little interest to them apart from just being uncles. We don't have a lot in common, I guess. FF Niece is the one we are closest too because as a teenager she stayed with us many times.

      Delete
  4. All my rich uncles are dead now, no one knew they were rich till after they had died guess that was why they were rich come to think of it there was only one all the rest were poor, I did miss out.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, never mind. You did it all on your own.

      Delete
  5. Well I think you and R are lovely people and you shan't dissuade me, so don't bother trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranky, we try to be nice people, but we do bitch to each other at times about family.

      Delete
    2. Oh my, you're human? For shame!

      Delete
  6. Que Sera indeed. You need to learn to say no, R too, and they need to learn to stick to what they've budgeted for. Of course there are always unexpected expenses and maybe this is what has happened, but still, to have the word out that "the rich uncles" will help, isn't such a good idea for them to always have in the back of their minds. What happens if you and R have some sort of emergency and are broke for a while?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you have reminded me. When Sis in Law and FF Nephew needed money in Scotland, I did not have enough money and had draw cash on my credit card. So what I said in the post was not correct. The rich uncles will only run to help when on holidays and not be helping with house deposits etc. While where we live is worth a lot of money, and I have good super for retirement, we don't actually have much cash readily available....because we spend it.

      Delete
  7. Can't you be my uncle ?? Buses are going everywhere, from North to South etc it's cheaper than a train and very comfy. I went by bus to Oxford and also Cornwall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, of course. Only to help you out if you run out of funds when travelling, and if I think you are a responsible person. It is sad to hear that buses are so much cheaper. I know you have caught a bus to Amsterdam. Sad. Our Friend in Japan can catch the expensive bullet train to Tokyo or the much cheaper overnight train and then a much cheaper overnight bus.

      Delete
  8. Gee, I could do with a couple of rich uncles if you are looking to expand your extended family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, when we become rich, remind me will you.

      Delete
  9. Perth Daily Photo said: Better a rich uncle than a sugar daddy Andrew 😃😃 You guys are very cool and R is a treasure, but I'm sure I don't have to tell you that!

    Wish I had a sugar daddy Grace, but it is too late. R is mostly a treasure. Now you have met him, you can't help but use his name, instead of R, hence I had to 'fix'things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I stayed in a hostel once in Vancouver B.C., in gas town, they called it. on the pay phone in the hall, a constant stream of young people begging relatives, friends for money to continue their travels. I had caught a ride up with two guys, who let me ride with them, only if I would agree to fix their car should it break down. The hostel was about $8 a night, but I got that lowered by offering to clean the toilets daily while there. This was in the late 1990's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I remember gas town in Vancouver well. That is very cheap accommodation, even back then. Like when estimating how long a job will take, you then double the time to get to the true time it will take, so is money allowed for travel the same. Work it out, then double it.

      Delete