Sunday, August 28, 2016

Sunday Selections

Joining with River and others for Sunday Selections, this week with a single, well almost single subject.

Have you heard of Melbourne's Sidney Myer Music Bowl? Probably not. Let's take a stroll up the Kings Domain rise from St Kilda Road.


Near the Bowl is this monument, which has no details at all about it at the site. I rely on Google Maps to inform me it is a memorial to King George V.





Businessman and philanthropist Sidney Myer died in 1934 and left a substantial amount of money in a trust which has financed a number of public projects. The trust is now controlled by the Victorian Arts Centre. In 1959 the Bowl was completed and I recall it received a major renovation, perhaps in the 1990s or later. Top world artists have performed at the Bowl with the largest crowd ever for the pop group, The Seekers. Here is a cut and paste from Wikipedia:  ABBAAC/DCMetallicaWingsBlondieThe Beach BoysCrowded HouseDire StraitsNeil DiamondBob Dylan, the Czech Philharmonic OrchestraMerle HaggardPearl JamPaul McCartneyR.E.M.Dame Kiri Te KanawaDaft PunkRed Hot Chili Peppers, and most recently Bon JoviGuns N' RosesSoundgardenToolKanye WestParamoreNeil YoungLenny KravitzSwedish House Mafiablink-182, and The Black Keys.


The Bowl is fenced but the only time I have attended an event there, Carols by Candlenight on a Christmas Eve in the 1980s, it was not fenced and we just found a space to sit on the steep, grass bank. At the rear of the Bowl, the hill falls away very steeply to Alexandra Avenue and the Yarra River.


I guess equipment has to be stored somewhere.


There are a couple of sculptures within the Bowl. Hand of God by Carl Milles, sculpted in 1954, but it is not the original, which is in Sweden.


On the opposite side, more storage.


Miraggio by Pino Conte, donated to Melbourne in 1964.


Utilities underneath. I just read that one of Sidney Myer's children, also named Sidney, married one Sarah Hordern. Both families were large retailers in their respective cities and while we have the Sidney Myer Music Bowl, Sydney has the Hordern Pavillion. 


I descended back towards St Kilda Road. This made me smile. The multi laned high tech Domain Tunnel runs under here, apparently not very far down. Some irrigation system work is being underway in The Domain, so I suppose it is about that.


This is the rear of Police Memorial, upon which are the names of all Victorian Police killed while in service. I probably should rephrase this, but there is still space for more names.



The front view. It is quite a low key memorial, which is nice, I think.


At the tram stop.



12 comments:

  1. I like the symmetry that Sydney has the Horden Pavilion and you have the the Sidney Myer Music Bowl. I suspect the families would too.
    Some very different art work there. I like the horse and the crowned lion best I think. Sandstone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I too liked the horse and lion. I suspect it is sandstone, as Hels confirms. I not really keen on the monument itself.

      Delete
  2. I need to be more observant when walking around Melbourne. I've been to so many of the same places but never notice any of the detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, you head is full of science and biological matters, along with student issues. I like a clear head when I go out to explore or investigate.

      Delete
  3. The King George V memorial was built in sandstone (not so common in Melbourne), starting in 1937. So it still shows its lovely Deco lines. But now we have to ask why sculpture of geographically distant royalty would still fill our parks and gardens?

    King George V (as he became later) opened the first session of the Australian Parliament at Federation. And he spent much time touring around Australia in 1927, talking to lots of ordinary citizens. So possibly we had a close relationship with George V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, as you would know, I love art deco, but I am not keen on the memorial. Given Kingy Georgie behaved as you described, I am quite happy for the memorial to to be there. It does need some identification and I might do something about that. It would be nice for the details of why he was respected were there too.

      Delete
  4. Interesting place Melbourne lots to see and do one day I will get there, but tell me what did King George V do for Australia, we have things named after him too, beside be a king and that's not very hard.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, Hels above tells you some of what he did in Australia. I did feel like you about the memorial but now I remember some things too, about which Hels mentioned.

      Delete
  5. I've heard it called the Myer music Bowl, but never heard the Sidney part of the name. It's a nice looking venue and I love the painted storage units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, as you have heard it is how we usually refer to it. I agree about the storage units.

      Delete
  6. That is quite the place and beautiful. Impressive the names who have performed there also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, even I was surprised at the list of who has performed there.

      Delete