Sunday, August 14, 2016

Sunday Selections

River and others participate in Sunday Selections. My effort this week is about food and flora.

Addictive!


A week after Bone Doctor's party we celebrated Sister's birthday. BD and Little Jo made a cake from scratch and R and Little Jo decorated the cake. While strawberries can be bought for $2.50 a punnet, these strawberries and blueberries came from Berries on the Rocks in Black Rock for double that price. They were just beautiful and I haven't eaten such nice berries since we were in Europe in the summer of 2014. So often it's true that you get what you pay for.


Did Tic Tocs disappear from the shelves for a few years? If they did, they are now back, with a difference. I remember as a child noticing that the clock hands never aligned correctly, say the hour hand being half way between two numbers and the minute hand on the 12. This seems to have been corrected. I was looking forward to trying them after so long, but oh, they were so so sweet. Too sweet for me.


The homeless set up camp around this tree in the City Square, the same place where the Occupy Wall Street protesters set up camp a few years ago. Neither group were allowed to stay and now flower pots have appeared around the tree, perhaps as a method to deter such camps.


What have we here? Not bad from this angle.


One of Melbourne's better floral displays, outside the Town Hall.


I don't know what his grass is called, but it looks nice with its soft flowers? Seed heads?


Fake grass has come a long way since that awful plastic stuff. This is almost believable and I have seen people bending down to touch it to check. Its height is not quite even and nor is its colouring, giving even more  of an impression of being the real thing.


The latest blooming magnolia in Melbourne is true to form and not even close to blooming when others are in full bloom or finishing. For the first year I have noticed the owner of the property has planted a white magnolia.



Sometimes we do ok with gerberas, clearly not this time, the day after they were bought. I will ask Google. Ms Google told us to drive a needle horizontally through the stem about 2.5 centimetres below the flower head and remove the needle, ok an inch for you old folk and Brits and Americans.


How it works, I do not know, but it did work on some of the flowers. Am I the last to know of this trick or am I educating you?



The benefits of trees being leafless is greater visibility for yours truly to study the appalling traffic snarls, especially in the evening peak. PM Mal, too many people in Australia without the appropriate infrastructure in place.


The far trees are elms and the near ones London plane trees. I just love the way the sun works on the bare elm branches. There is something about their colouring and reflective properties.


17 comments:

  1. Andrew a wondrful floral display, I like it. The cake looks yummy a piece of it send to Poland, please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Gosia. It has become stale and had to be thrown out. I will send you a piece of my birthday cake in October.

      Delete
    2. So I am waiting..

      Delete
  2. A good berry is a thing of joy and beauty. I don't think I have ever tried a Tic Toc though. They don't seem to have crossed our radar.
    Love your garden displays, and hadn't heard that gerbera trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, the same trick works for a couple of other cut flowers too, tulips for one.

      Delete
  3. So much to comment on .. so I will just concur that some food is indeed addictive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Carol, indeed some are.

      Delete
  4. Lots of flowers for winter time.
    That seedy grass grows in my driveway in all the cracks I like it too but do not know what it is called.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, maybe the seedy grass is just a weed, haha.

      Delete
  5. Well, I've been educated. I didn't know that needle trick with the gerberas, does it work for other flowers too? I don't keep flowers inside because of my hayfever. I did bring roses inside my first year here, but couldn't breathe overnight as long as I had them, so no more.
    I love the flower displays in your city.
    You're right about the berries. Supermarket strawberries look lovely, but have no flavour at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the shame should work for tulips and another cut flower that I can't recall. We get very little in the way of flowers now, so the display outside the Town Hall is to be admired and it is, often.

      Yes, fruit, berries and vegetables grown to sell and for long life and packing. Not grown of great taste.

      Delete
  6. OMG the best tip of the year. No more drooping gerberas for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, the next time we buy gerberas we do it straight away.

      Delete
  7. I love the flower boxes, but hopefully they were placed there to beautify the city, not to hamper ordinary citizens, protesters and homeless people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I am fairly sure that is exactly the reason they were placed there.

      Delete
  8. Tic Tacs here are little tiny boxes with little tiny breath mints inside of various flavors mostly strong mint. I've not heard of the stick a needle through it trick for plants. What does that do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have Tic Tacs here too but they are not as popular as they used to be. I don't know what the needle hole does but it does something, that's for sure.

      Delete