Tuesday, August 30, 2016

My life in aftershaves

When spring arrives, young men's thoughts turn to one thing. Older men's thoughts turn to another, spring cleaning. R has been cleaning out his wardrobe. While I offered Merle a trip to Melbourne to do some spring cleaning for us, she said yes to the trip and then confessed she wasn't terribly good at spring cleaning. Sorry Merle, trip is off the table. I will get a cute lad in to spring clean instead.

Anyway, wow, R found a full bottle of Pierre Cardin aftershave. It went in the bin. I took the fcuk (gee that was hard to type correctly) aftershave but it is bit heavy and I think I will throw it out too. Later, no, the bottle is too nice to throw away.


I confess to having slapped on a bit of my grandfather's Old Spice when I was a teen. I can't remember the smell now, but I would know it straight away if I smelt it.

I think from there my first own personal aftershave was Blue Stratos.

The next was Aramis. I can still remember the smell of it and it was nice. I was about 23 and I went to the local milk bar and the cute Italian lad behind the counter was wearing it and I was too. Are you wearing Aramis, I asked him. Yes, he replied. How do you know? I am wearing it too. Will you marry me? I will have your babies. Ok, the last two sentences are a lie.

I think the next one was Paco Rabanne, and lo and behold, R had a bottle of the that too but I find it too heavy now, as well, but the bottle looks nice in my en swite.




I did not use a lot of aftershave, but I did go through two bottles of Issey Miyake. So many people over a number of years complimented me on Issey's liquid product. I would describe it as light and tangy. Experts would no doubt have different adjectives. That was the last aftershave I bought and I now use R's discards, some of which were gifts from Mother.

The latest is David Beckham. The bottle is so cool, with a magnetic cap over the atomiser button. I am in the mood for telling untruths tonight, so I will say that David puts a drop of his sweat in every bottle (hey, I could have said worse). It is both sweet and tangy and quite light. You would probably have to snog me to smell it at all. No one has complimented me about it, but I like Mr Posh Spice's aftershave.

18 comments:

  1. Himself has been bearded for as long as I have known him (barring the very brief period when the hospital shaved him) so most of these are new to me.
    Heavy aftershaves, like heavy perfumes are vile in a lift though. As they were in phone boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, yes, perfumes in confined spaces can be overpowering. Sometimes because of the way tram ventilation works, the smell can go right through the vehicle.

      Delete
    2. vile on buses too EC, I've spent many trips breathing through a hanky pressed to my nose.

      Delete
  2. I only do chiniche " Happy"
    Sums me up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry John, I haven't a clue and Google is not helpful

      Delete
  3. The 'Rule of Thumb' as applied to perfume and after shave is, if you can smell it on yourself, it's far too much and probably killing people in a 3km radius. My son loved Monsieur de Givenchy and my father always wore Eau Savage. We still remember the brawl the day grandfather found grandson liberaly dusting out his sneakers with Eau Savage talc to make them smell nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, that's a good rule. I had forgotten about Eau Savage. I think that came after Cardin for me.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:49 pm

    When spring arrives, young men's thoughts turn to one thing.
    If he is a self-respecting gay boy, getting a new wardrobe, from top to toe. - Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess so Ian, but never above what a young gay man is normally thinking about.

      Delete
  5. My family didn't use aftershaves much. I remember my dad used some but don't remember what it was. My sons use colognes and body sprays, for years the favourite was Cool Water by Davidoff. My younger son now has a whole range of brands and fragrances that he uses according to where he's going and what the occasion is.
    I remember Old Spice, it's a lovely warm fragrance when not used to excess. Like Brylcreem, a little dab'll do ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, there is another one I had forgotten, Cool Water, and I had some. Now I really want to smell Old Spice again.

      Delete
  6. I think men were very suspect of anything that smelled artificially nice, looked "cosmetic" or suggested hours in front of a mirror. It took decades before advertisers could get men to take care of their appearance.

    For me, the biggest advance by a LONG way was men's deodorant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, yes I remember those days and I am pleased they have gone. As a prissy teen, I never had to be told, but Mother was always at my brother to use the Uncle Sam under his arms. Men could be quite disgusting back then with little care for personal hygiene.

      Delete
  7. ooh Issey Miyake is so nice, in both the mens and womens range. I have two different Isseys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, you use the boy or the girl one, depending on your mood :-P

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, I think.

      Delete
  9. My favourite men's cologne is Yves St Laurent Jazz, the original not the new one. Must admit I don't mind a little touch of Jazz myself now and then 😊😊

    ReplyDelete