Saturday, August 20, 2016

Bits

Sister: Little Jo, I'm going for a walk in Fawkner Park. Would you like to come?

Little Jo: No Mummy, I'll stay here (as she sat at our computer).

Later I said to Sister, you should have asked her to go Pokemon hunting. Sister agreed. Little Jo did later find one in our foyer. I am not sure how you catch the critters, but apparently, observing Little Jo, you count one, two, three and then say got it.

Mother is still in hospital, issuing orders to her minions, that is us. We follow some and don't follow others. I try ignore things about night time incontinence and the need for absorbent pads and two pair of underwear each night, but I could not ignore when I found one used pad wrapped in her dressing gown that she gave us to wash. Today's list was pens as she keeps loosing the one she has, a writing pad as her current one is running out, two packets of Marie biscuits and some Holeproof socks, mens, large. Jesus, they were on special at Coles supermarket reduced from $11 to $8. I've never in my life paid anything like that for one pair of socks. Nurse Rani is having days off, replaced by Rey, a drop dead gorgeous nurse, who at a guess by his name and looks is of Philippine heritage. Oldest Niece, Firefighting Niece and Little Em joined us at the hospital today. FF Niece thought he was gorgeous and Mother agreed, helped by him being very kind and good with demanding old ladies. Mother has nothing but praise for the nurses and the meals, but not for her treating doctor with the same name as one of our senior female politicians.

For the first time after having my tax return prepared, the return dollars have been outweighed by the cost of having the return prepared. I think I will do it myself next year. Someone told me it is very easy at the Australian Tax Office website. H&R Block is very good though, and I pay half what I used to with a private accountant.

Long Tan! What a mess. It was the site of a battle during the Vietnam war (or the American war if you are Vietnamese) and over the last decade or more, the victor Vietnam has been quite generous towards Australians who fought against the Viet Cong and North Vietnamese in the Long Tan rubber plantation and want to visit Vietnam. It goes without saying that we should never have been there fighting.  All the way with LBJ indeed! 18 Australians and 500 Vietnamese were killed in the battle. I guess we won the battle but lost the war. I don't understand why the Vietnamese government cancelled the planned commemoration at the last minute when many Aussies who had fought in Vietnam were already there. Maybe it was because the commemoration had become bigger than Ben Hur. Clearly something went amiss. But if you think about it, should we have Japanese from WWII here in Darwin to commemorate the bombing of northern Australia? Clearly not enough Australians wanted to go to Vietnam to fight a stupid war at the behest of the USA, so they were conscripted. Many anti American feelings in Australia come from this war, certainly if you are my age.

Cruelty to animals continues, with a local report of a crate of live chickens falling off a truck outside a Kentucky Fried Chicken outlet. Dead and injured birds were stuffed back into the crate and moved on, a cat skinned alive in the UK and again locally, a dog killed by having duct tape wrapped around its head. We humans are the quite despicable creatures of the world at times. Trivia, five horses were killed during the making of the 1925 Ben Hur movie.

Once again, Melbourne has been voted Melbourne's most livable city by one index. By another we are 16th and Sydney is 10th. While Melbourne is quite a good place to live, you try to get around on our roads and public transport. It is a misery. There are too many people in our large city of nearly 5 million people, yet our governments allows our population to grow unabated. Good for big business, but not so for the residents of our fair city. Vienna was runner up in the survey, but it is a very expensive place to live. Vancouver in third place is more affordable and also quite nice. I adored both cities, but the weather is better in Vancouver and it is more like Australia. That may or may not be a good thing, really. The survey is prepared for foreign companies to judge what a city is like before they ask executives to go there. I'll rephrase to the award being absolutely rubbish for anyone who is not a executive thinking of moving here or for a visitor.

Deer have now been noted in Wilson's Promontory. Australia has very thin soils and a delicate environment. Cloven hoof animals have no place here and should be eradicated, except for on farm land. Wild buffalo, camels, deer, horses......get rid of them.

Lordy, we export gas to Japan for their consumption and for our gas, after shipping costs, the Japanese consumer pays AU$8 per gigajoule. Adelaide folk pay AU$14. On average we pay 33% higher in Australia for our gas than what is paid for our gas exported to Japan.

Still, it could be more absurd, like Britain sending their apples to South Africa to be washed and then returned to Britain for sale at Tescos and markets.

Shocking images from a youth detention centre in the Northern Territory and now awful images from a northern Queensland youth detention facility. Just be very grateful you are not one of the workers in either place. You will have to deal with the miscreants and management and the court of public opinion. Management creates the culture of such a work place, ipso facto, the government.

I have decided to have a frank conversation with Mother. I am rehearsing it. Mother, while you are sharp of mind and by your test results you will live to be very old, you are increasingly feeble. If not now, what in the future when the time comes do you want to do? Live near Sister where there is good care? Or stay in your town?

I could go on forever. To wrap on something good, Little M was in daycare today so we only saw Little Em. At six months old, she is a laughing blue eyed and just a lovely baby. Mother, her great grandmother, had a good nurse of her today, as did R. I don't nurse babies, lest I drop them (or get bored). Her mother, Oldest Niece, is now officially huge, but she is so pretty and makes up so well, along with dressing really well, unlike her sister FF Niece who looked like a slob. FF Niece did visit Brighton in England for a few days, but then the gay pride march was about to happen and prices shot up so, she left.

We are having some welcome rain that began this morning and continued for a few hours. Dog Jack is visiting for the weekend and I am not looking forward to the smell of wet dog. We were at the home of Dog Jack's mummy when he was delivered and our Dyke Friend did not like his name, which I don't remember. R suggested the name Jack and it stuck. The woman who handed over Dog Jack was in tears. Her circumstances had changed and could no longer keep Dog Jack. "R, do you remember Dog Jack's former name?" He did. It was Tarquin. Believe me, Jack is much more like a Jack than a Tarquin.

18 comments:

  1. You seem to be really busy at the moment and I can certainly empathise with dealing with your Mum. It just doesn't get any easier although I am one step ahead of you with Mum being in a nursing home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I suspect it will be better for all when that happens as she is constantly stressed about managing at home and her medical issues.

      Delete
  2. oh dear you have a lot going on.
    Snap! I was sitting her listening to the rain as you posted.
    stupid woman with a life where 'circumstances have changed' to even get a dog in the first place and I know she is stupid because 'Tarquin' FFS. poor damn dog. Buster. Rastus. Wooffy.
    oh dear Aging Parents. their revenge for the hell we put them through when we were teens I guess. I found out when trying to control my batty 94-y-o father that one cannot make them go into a nursing home, even when it is patently obvious this is necessary. "near Sister" sounds good to me. halfway between you and sister sounds good. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, he wasn't very old then so to buy him would have not been a decision made a long time ago. One thing we have learnt is that we don't want our own dog here. A visiting one is nice. I'll have you know that I was a very good teen....because they did not know what I was getting up to.

      Delete
  3. Echoing Annie. You are right. We wouldn't welcome the Japanese back (en masse) to commemorate the bombing of Darwin, so it is not really surprising that the Long Tan commemoration caused some problems. Particularly when I understand the numbers who came were more than double what was expected.
    Tarquin? I cannot think of any dog who would suit that name. Or person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, EC. Person. I agree. Turkey, as Vest mentions seems to be the exception.

      Delete
  4. Andrew

    I hope you were not old enough to be conscripted. It was a hate filled, divisive time in Australian politics and community life. Two of my close friends were conscripted; my brothers and husband (then boyfriend) were not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, no I was too young. My father had to do 'nasho'service at Puca though. I was not in Melbourne then, but R remembers the huge marches against the war, including the big one.

      Delete
  5. A very absorbing post. Happy and not happy families, visits to the Gay capital of England Brighton.
    Your thoughts on invaders being allowed back to celebrate their wartime activities ?. The Turks must either be very tolerant or simply eager to make a Quid from Anzac Tourists.
    Looking at both sides of the coin, I cannot imagine poms allowing German bomber pilots to go to London for a reunion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vest, while I knew Brighton was a popular gay hangout, I did not know it hosted the largest Pride March in Europe/Britain. The Vietnam war business was terribly messy and speaks of poor government communication. We were there in about 2001 and there was still some anti western feelings evident in older people. I imagine that has mostly dissipated.

      Delete
  6. a cat skinned alive and a dog killed by having duct tape wrapped around his head?
    Such atrociousness! Who does this kind of thing and thinks it is a good idea??
    Excuse me while I go away and cry for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, sorry. I can't watch animal cruelty on tv and I don't like reading about it too much either but like eyes are drawn to a disaster, so the newspaper pieces drew mine.

      Delete
  7. Andrew Pokemon game is very popular here too. Your mum is really demanding lady. Take care. Hugs from sunny Poland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, demanding is a good word for Mother but at least we know that about her and don't act in ignorance. Sunny Poland hey. Good to hear when it is bleak, cold, grey and raining here and I have to take Dog Jack out for a wee.

      Delete
  8. Such insanity is war and the reasons, killing off or damaging the young, for old men's pleasures. Viet Nam was a horror and why the US went in, I still do not know. Nor why they fought the war as they did, never holding ground, leaving it the moment it was "conquered" then sending young men up the same hill months later to reclaim it, only to then leave it once again.Daft! And now we do it all again in the middle east, over and over. I was very fearful back then. My older brother drew a draft number that would have sent him over, but he failed the physical. My younger brother was chomping to go, but drew a wait list draft number, then it was all over and the military, in public outcry, made military service voluntary. If everyone, rich and poor, man and woman, all parties, had to sign up and serve, there would be more peace as the rich do not like to sacrifice their young. They would rather send others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Strayer. The legacy of Agent Orange was appalling too.

      Delete
  9. Love or hate Gough, at least he stopped conscription and gave 18 year olds the vote now we'll never be able to send children to fight against their will. I always say if they want conscription back, start with the RSL clubs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah The, it is one of the many admirable things God Gough did. Nothing like having fought in war to make sure people don't fight in another.

      Delete