Monday, August 15, 2016

A Friday Night Out

My attention was first drawn to Ash Williams when I heard in a podcast that he worked at an LA gay bar, with guys giving him large tips to lick out vodka shots from from his navel. I don't care for such things and you will never hear me confessing to licking up pepper schnapps from a table. Ash's navel might have been nicer than the table.

In a moment of madness in June I said to R, for my birthday in October, buy us tickets to Ash Williams show to see in August at the Butterfly Club, and he did. One of R's customers where he volunteers told R it is a a gay place. Well, I hope it is gay and happy venue. It was not obviously gay at all and nor were the patrons. I am not sure if the same person owns it set it up originally in South Melbourne, but yes, the ownership was gay.

We found a new to us Thai restaurant for an early dinner as the show was at 7pm. It was a bit of a rushed dinner and we would have liked longer to dine. FOMO in Bourke Street was good and we will return. For entre I ordered Son in Law Eggs. Delicious. I think they are fried whole and served with a tamarind sauce. One can't even guess at the name.


The Butterfly club is spread over many floors and spaces and is a total rabbit warren.While I think the original Butterfly Club in South Melbourne was both kitch and bordello, the present version is kitch as. For our pre show drink, R sat in a Victorian gentleman's chair while I sat in 50s modular chair. It is just crazy decoration, with so many ornaments, religious statues, and bits from every period in the twentieth century, along with hand painted murals, signs and so much more.

Ash was funny enough over the hour long performance. He looked good in a tight skinny blue suit. His show was called, I've Been Bad and consisted of true anecdotes about when he has been bad. As used to be said, he is quite easy on the eyes. R told me on the tram on the way home that it is my October birthday done and dusted and I may receive a card on the day.




16 comments:

  1. I am still pondering Son-in-Law eggs.
    And suspect that you WILL get a card on the day. Happy early birthday (which is a big change from happy belated...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, a card and bottle of something, I am sure. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of them, I pictured them scrambled, the best presents are being taken somewhere and if you enjoy it all done and dusted if not they keep looking.
    Happy birthday.
    Merle...................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, advice noted. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. It been a while since I been in a bar. I don't mind a little wildness but the thought of drinking out of belly button doesn't thrill me at all.
    Hope your Birthday was full of good things.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, I think I would have to have a few vodkas before doing that.

      Delete
  4. Andrew, what is typical meal in Thai restaurant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, how long is a piece of string? We usually begin with soup or an entre, maybe hot and spicy soup and small spring rolls. Mains might be one stir fried dish maybe beef. One with meat in batter and sauce, perhaps pork. Maybe a red or green curry, chicken and always with rice.

      Delete
    2. thanks for long answer. Have a great day.

      Delete
  5. He certainly is easy on the eyes. I'm glad you liked the show and hope you remember enough of it to think about on your birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will remember the event River. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. oh what a wonderful place - I just put it into image search and saw all the colourful fun. do that on your actual birthday for a reminder of the lovely prezzie.
    mwah mwah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, I am pleased you did. It is just a crazy venue but very welcoming and relaxed. And, we weren't the oldest people there!

      Delete
  7. What about Daughter in Law eggs, how would they be done, or Mother In Law? I have an inquiring mind. That guy is cute! You must do something once your real birthday rolls around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, Mother in Law Eggs might be cooked in lemon juice. I expect there will be dinner out for my birthday. That's enough.

      Delete
  8. I have a fairly close link to Mr Williams in a 'degrees of separation' way. He shares a podcast and some other entertainment appearances with the son of a good friend of mine.

    I think I mentioned the son (a celebrity of sorts) to you when we met recently in Melbourne. I didn't realise Mr Williams has such good looks.

    ReplyDelete