Monday, July 04, 2016

Tech to do your head in

The repaired computer is working well, although it will take some time to get things back to normal and to be able to have time and the set up to compose blog posts normally. But it is quite easy to just bang away at the keyboard, so I can write. Absolutely everything was lost between buying the new computer and when it failed not so long after. I back up photos to the cloud, Dropbox, once I have no further use for them for my blog, so not too many photos were lost. I will have to rewalk days 2 and 3 of the Yarra and take photos again. I attend to our finances once a fortnight  using a kind of ledger that R made up, initially with Microsoft Publisher, later converted to Open Office. When I use it once a fortnight, I back it up to a memory stick, so that is not lost. It really could have been so much worse. Two lessons learnt really. Buy locally so you have somewhere to take your failed computer (a small computer shop is not so easy to find nowadays). The big stores will have your computer away for weeks if it goes wrong. Funnily I can't badmouth the company who we bought the computer from as all documentation was in emails. I don't even remember its name, but I can easily find out and will contact them and see what sort of response I get and perhaps lambaste them, depending on the company's response.

We are planning to switch to the NBN when our contract with Telstra runs out in three months. TPG has put NBN facilities into our building and I spent some time looking at what it offers and what Telstra offers. It doesn't matter who puts in the NBN facilities, other companies can use the equipment, as far as I know. While initially the prices seemed comparable, and both offered free land line phone calls, TPG offers around 100 mega bytes per second download speed. A friend in Beacon Cove who has joined is getting almost the 100 mbps. I queried Telstra and the reply was, you can pay more for a high download speed, but at the moment you can expect between 25 and 50 mbps. Well, given our current cable internet gives us between 30 and 40 mbps, why would we make the change? I reckon if I got up at 2.30 in the morning and used the existing internet, I might get 50 mbps. Really, our current internet seems quite fast enough, but like Toad of Toad Hall, speed is everything. Our internet/land line phone bill will drop from $120 per month to under $100, with a faster speed.

We have decided to go with TPG. However, we will lose our Big Pond ISP email, which for ease of use, is very good. Well, it was until the computer failure and much was lost. Just before our computer crash, I had set up a joint Gmail account for R and myself. We each already have a personal Gmail account and I have a number of Yahoo email accounts, which can be all aggregated by an app on phone and tablet. I set up Mother's Face Book account and a Gmail address. I occasionally check her FB but not her Gmail. There were around three thousand FB notifications in Gmail. I think I have killed them all now and turned off notifications for her FB.

Victor in Sydney, as we are, is an internet supply customer of our formerly government owned telecommunication company, Telstra. When Victor is travelling, I expect he like I do, finds looking at your emails on you ISP email web email rather clunky, to say the least. If you do use Telstra ISP email, that is your have an address like *****@bigpond.com or *****bigpond.net.au, I have found the best browser to use to read your email is Chrome, but it is still tiresomely slow and clunky.

Now, our Telstra Big Pond email comes into the joint Gmail I set up. It works fine. While I did it two days ago, I can't remember how I did it but I just went through part through the process again and I remembered it was somewhat tricky. This post was supposed to be how to do it, helpful to Victor and perhaps to others, but I will save that for a more precise post soon.

Ah yes, Mother has connected up to the NBN, but that is a whole 'nother story.

21 comments:

  1. Wow, I have the cheapest Comcast (a monopoly here) cable internet I can find, bought a modem so I didn't have to pay the $10 per month modem rental added in, and my speed is usually 6 to 8 mbps. Our country languishes with slow internet and even slower or none in rural areas and many people cannot afford internet at all because it is expensive. I read your speeds and my mind boggles, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, the comparison is interesting. I don't think anyone here rents a modem. We buy them or they are part of internet plan we join. Australia was 30th on the speed for internet in the world. We are now 60th, but within five years, everyone should be on the fibre optic network and at least get the lower figures for the national broadband network I mentioned (NBN). We do live in a privileged area, where there are lots of important businesses, government departments and important people.

      Delete
  2. Andrew now you can work and use your computer. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup. You have done my head in. It is reeling now. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I need a young man very badly, that is one who can sort this stuff out for me. I may well look at someone who does 'inhouse' in future.

      Delete
  4. I've never been in a place that offered even 50 mg. I believe the town of Bonners Ferry which is about 5 mile north of me (8.05) Not sure what that cost.
    But I pay $60 a month for 1 mb.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $60 a month for 1mb sounds awfully excessive.
      I pay $54.80 a month for 100GB data allowance, have no idea what my download speed is, but sometimes it is faster than others.

      Delete
    2. Dora, surely that is $60 for 1gb?

      River, that is a generous enough allowance. Just type internet speed test into Google, and you will find out your speed. I'd be interested to know.

      Delete
    3. Our elected official here in Idaho is so backwards in so many ways. No I'm talking mg.
      The larger populated area does have higher speed for there internet.
      Anyhow out where I live there not much to choice from...here the company I use, in Boundary County...http://www.intermaxnetworks.com/index.php/services/residential-internet.html

      Delete
    4. Andrew; download speed is 4.99Mbps, upload is 0.29Mbps
      doesn't seem very fast to me, maybe it differs during according to time of day.

      Delete
  5. All that shopping around and changing would have me tearing my hair out. It's terribly confusing when a person has no idea what is a good deal and what isn't. I don't think we're getting any NBN cable anytime soon. When the original roll-out was printed in the papers, my suburb wasn't even listed :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, when I checked the Telstra website, it said we did not have NBN yet. However, I knew we did. One chat person at Telstra told me we did have it, another said we didn't. Don't believe what you see at their websites.

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear you have got your computer back up and running. It's great when everything works but what a pain when it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, pain is understatement. Dependence is the word. We can't function without it now. Fortunately we have phones and tablets too and can manage.

      Delete
  7. I don't have a clue when it comes to computers my daughters fellow does all mine fix ups, otherwise I would never have had a blog or anything much to do with a computer.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I wish I had someone like that.

      Delete
  8. You lost me at 'I back up photos to the Cloud'😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a term, Grace. In this case, Drop Box. The free version is not so big but it is reliable and I just drop my dated photo folders into in, and it downloads them and they stay there.

      Delete
  9. I can recommend Scorptec for things, they have a few offices. Also, if you need assistance I have a boy thing who's got his own tech company and can fix things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, I've seen the name. I will keep that in mind. Wish I had known about you boy earlier. Noted.

      Delete