Sunday, July 17, 2016

Sunday Selections

Joining River and others for Sunday Selections.

I had a very rough day at work last Wednesday and I was extremely stressed when I arrived home from work. I questioned myself as how much longer I could continue to do the job that I once found easy and fun. I decided I needed a mental health day off work with some time alone, which I had as it was take Mother our day for R. I guilty told R that spending time with Mother would not be beneficial to my mental health, and R readily agreed. Spending time with Mother is not good for R's mental health either. By late morning I had gotten on top of things at home and I was feeling quite relaxed. Being at home all day is not good for mental health either, so I went out for a late lunch and coffee and then little wander. After lunch I crossed the road to take a closer look at the former Albert Park Manor. The renovations and building of apartments at the rear has been completed after perhaps eighteen months. No matter how hard I Googled it, little would ever come up and the reason being it was built as rental flats, not flats for sale. Very unusual these days. I think it is quite a good result. The original building was retained and the flats at the back are less noticeable that what you might think from the photo. The old building is also flats.



This ground floor at the front is for lease as a cafe/restaurant. The modern bit at the side is supposed to be an outdoor are for the restaurant, but it is totally enclosed.


I could have done better with my photo of the front door. Nice stained glass, probably original.


One of the probably one bedroom flats with an enclosed balcony, but with opening louvre windows.


The entrance to the apartments.


Behind the building, the view from Arnold Street. Sorry about the giant tower in the background. I wonder who lives there?


I wandered along Arnold Street. Had I some gas, I could have barbequed a chop.


I really don't know anything about the back of this building. Perhaps it was associated with what I mention later in this post.


Within it is a gallery window with regularly changing display.


I don't think my current camera has grid lines settings. I really need them.


While the front of the St Thomas Aquinas church is Spanish Mission style, the side and the rear is not. I believe the terrace houses are kind of grace and favour accommodation or alms housing if you like.


It was hard to get a photo of these two attractive terrace houses without getting a passing Melbourne Grammar boy in the shot. Ah that tall building is really dominating the views.


A mostly new Melbourne Grammar building.


A gas lamp with its four mantles.


There always be in England...right here in Victoria at Melbourne Grammar.


Around the corner into Bromby Street is a lovely terrace of two storey houses.


Art Deco or Moderne? I love it. There's that bloody big building in the background again.


Back across St Kilda Road is a wide view of the Royce Hotel. It was once the Melbourne showroom for Rolls Royce cars and I remember petrol bowsers being in front of it on the street. Then it was taken over by the army, the purpose for which I have forgotten, and it then became a hotel with modern extensions at the rear and the side.


It is quite some building. Our friend Pants once stayed there and we met her in the bar for a very civilised drink one afternoon.


Some of the buildings I photographed you will have seen before, and that includes this very cute weather vane atop The Royce.


22 comments:

  1. Sorry to read you had a crappy day at work. Ups and downs are inevitable. I always wonder though if I'd be brave enough to give the job the flick when it's no longer fun. A really great colleague of mine got promoted to full Professor last year and then quit. Went out on a high ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, thanks. Promoted to professor and on a higher rate of pay when he quit?

      Delete
    2. That's brilliant Adaptive, about your colleague.

      Delete
  2. I loved your mental health day perambulations - though I am sorry you felt the need of it.
    I tend to hunker down and not go out when my mind wobbles. And your wander reminds me it may not be sensible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it helps me to see nature, buildings and the world functioning, but I understand the temptation of bunkering down.

      Delete
  3. The church reminds me of one which is located in a small town nearby; obviously the population of the town was larger at some point in the past. Now, however, the church rather resembles some fussy old lady who is slowly being abandoned by kith and kin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranky, munch the same here, perhaps more advanced than in the US. Rarely do churches get demolished, usually they are reinvented.

      Delete
  4. Interesting weather vane, I've never seen one like that before.
    I like the terrace of two storey houses and love the gas lamp.
    Is that big apartment building more familiar to you from the inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think the weather vane is brilliant. Oh yes, I know that building inside and out.

      Delete
  5. Love that St Thomas Aquinas Church!

    A grace and favour home is a house or flat owned by a monarch and leased rent-free to an important relative. It would usually be in thanks for past services rendered by that relative.

    An alms house is the exact opposite. Each flat was a tiny residence for poor, elderly soldiers/clerics/teachers who deserved some help after a lifetime of work. Would I accept residence in an alms house - most probably :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I first heard the term 'grace and favour' I think in reference to the fire at Windsor Castle, and I grabbed it and adapted and wrongly, it seems. I suspect those houses, while not that modest, are similar to alms houses. I remember the alms houses near St Kilda Junction.

      Delete
  6. so they are stressful days in each work so take care. The church looks nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, the church is usually open during the day. I should go in for a look.

      Delete
  7. Not good when you have one of those days Andrew, they can happen even when you don't go out to work 😃 Have you given much thought to retiring? Actually that can be stressful too, for the partnef 😃 It's really hard to decide if that house is Art Deco or not, some AD is quite plain lime this. I've decided I need a weathervane, how cool is this one here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PerthDaily

      My beloved got all his staff new jobs, had a big farewell party Friday week ago and permanently closed the practices at 5 PM. It took him the next working week to empty out all the medical equipment, furniture and office material.. and place it in our lounge room.

      I hope his retirement is a productive one. Watching daytime tv sounds dismal :(

      Delete
    2. Grace, I give plenty of thought to retirement and how I will survive financially. It is very late deco, if deco at all. The car weather vane beats the usual cock.

      Hels, you are living in interesting with Joe retiring. Will he have dinner on the table when you return from work?

      Delete
    3. Hels, not too bad if you are still working.. although your lounge room sounds a bit crowded 😃 It's when you both are together 24/7. Luckily P has many hobbies to keep him busy, moi also.. thank heavens, day time TV is abysmal, most evening TV too 😃

      Delete
    4. Hels, not too bad if you are still working.. although your lounge room sounds a bit crowded 😃 It's when you both are together 24/7. Luckily P has many hobbies to keep him busy, moi also.. thank heavens, day time TV is abysmal, most evening TV too 😃

      Delete
  8. I've heard lots of that lately from friends who work, how much they'd like to shove it, but can't, especially those 50 and older. They could never find other work. Nice you can so easily take a day off. Hope it helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I think I am one of those people who would not get another job. Well, I don't want one anyway. It did help, thanks.

      Delete
  9. It is good that you have the foresight to take a day off when needed. Sometimes things can really build up if you don't remove yourself from a situation, albeit just temporarily. Loved seeing your walk around, and all the buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CM. I like your phrase of removing yourself from a situation, and that is what I did.

      Delete