Sunday, July 10, 2016

Sunday Selections

It seems to have been an age, but here is a meagre Sunday Selections post, join in with River, Elephant's Child and others. Maybe even Carol will burrow into her archives.

As I said, I was impressed with the remake of Balaclava Station. It was a long time coming, but hey, it was done before Southland Station has been built, with an even longer timeline. This is the platform for Sandringham bound train passengers. The facilities for inbound passengers are much better, but outbound is not so bad.


Blurry, but a live time tram indicator for the passing routes 3 and 16 trams is a great thing, although wouldn't it be more useful to passengers on the other platform getting off the train, rather than where people get on the train?


When the dark building was built, we lost a good chunk of our views towards St Kilda. A new building rising in Queens Road will probably see this view disappear too, the end of St Kilda Marina, the Palais Theatre and the apartment building, Edgewater Towers.


Back for a long weekend visit a week ago. He spent more time in the coziness of his bed this visit than usually.


We slip away to Perth for a week or so, and the world changes, with the synagogue opposite getting some extra lighting. I think it looks great, especially coming along Kingsway when you reach St Kilda Road.


The artist's name was not visible to me, but I did not closely search because rain was absolutely p p p.....pelting down. The wall is along the ramp up to the outbound Balaclava Station entrance. The word above, Sinch, is the name of a graffitist who was electrocuted when train surfing at the station. Many of his scrawls can be seen around Balaclava. I am not sure that he was an artist.


I did find a name on this panel in William Street, Balaclava, but google is not helpful.



14 comments:

  1. I always like travelling through your city with you. Thank you. And yes, some graffitists ARE artists. Others? Not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, thanks. Colourful murals are brilliant. Graffiti scrawl, not.

      Delete
  2. StKilda is more fun than just about any other part of Melbourne! I hope those beach views won't be blocked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, like I would not like to be too far away from the sea, nor I would I like to be too far away from St Kilda.

      Delete
  3. The mural made me smile.

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  4. That graffiti is pretty good. I like the puppy bed, I bought a similar one for Angel, what a waste of money! Angel prefers my bed, my couch, my table.
    The amount of overhead lighting at that train stop is good, far better than some we have here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, well, River it is a rebuilt station and it should be good. God knows what it cost. Goat track stuff with the placement of the basket. Before Jack had the basket he would lie in that spot, I assume for maximum warmth and lack of draughts (spell checker says that is a wrong spelling, but I think it is right. Maybe it is drafts).

      Delete
  5. I like that last one, the colors are brilliant. Nothing seems to change here, except the shade of gray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, it was once almost a light industrial area, so lots of blank brick walls, actually now, no blank walls.

      Delete
  6. Good street art can brighten the dullest wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, so agree. Many in the area commissioned works, in a attempt to stop graffiti.

      Delete
  7. I was watching a program set in Sao Paulo earlier, oh la! So much street art, hardly a bare wall anywhere! Melbourne's Hosier lane is supposed to be pretty fabulous. I don't blame Jack for curling up in bed Andrew it's been nippy, how old is he now anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of street art Grace, another Banksy has been destroyed as workers knocked a doorway through a brick wall. I think Jack is about 7. It is hard to take photos in Hosier Lane as there are always so many tourists there.

      Delete