Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Sorry, a bit more tech and a quiz

Since I have changed my email address for my blog, I am not getting the many emails each day that my comment on other's blogs aren't deliverable, that is people were not receiving an email when I made a comment on their blog. Gattina told me quite specifically that she is now getting emails, so I assume others are too. This is good.

But the world is an imperfect place. Since I have changed to Gmail, I no longer receive notifications when Grace in Perth and River in Adelaide have made a comment. I do go back a few days and check comments, so it is not a big deal, but if they and whoever else I don't receive an email for when they comment, my apologies if I may miss one of your comments.

I had a bit of a laugh today, courtesy public transport impresario Daniel Bowen, who I follow on Twitter. When we lived in Glen Iris, we would catch the Alamein train from Burwood Station to town. Off peak it was a shuttle service and via the tannoy speaker at times when returning from town we would hear, Camberwell Station, change for Alamein.

I walked the old and long gone spur train line to Kew a year or more ago. It wasn't that interesting but there is a link to my walk on the side bar of my blog. The Kew train was also a shuttle service, from where the line diverted after Hawthorn Station. A similar announcement was made at Hawthorn as it was at Camberwell for the Alamein train.

Will it take you seconds, days, a hint, or will I have to explain the humour?

NB, this may only work with Australian accents, no it works for English accents too. Not sure about non native English speakers, including Americans :-P

Later Edit:

Say it out loud now, Hawthorn Station, change for Kew. It's a variation on the name of the outlying area of the suburb of Kew, known as far Kew.

9 comments:

  1. It's after midnight Andrew, you'll have to explain 😃😃

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is relatively early here, but I am echoing the comment above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised when I got an email notification from you! Now I know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CM, one step forwards and half a step back.

      Delete
  4. "..I am not getting the many emails each day that my comment on other's blogs aren't deliverable"
    I never used to get these, but a while ago I started seeing them pop up in my inbox, so I marked them as spam and now they all go to my spam box and I get one EVERY TIME I leave a comment anywhere/everywhere. So each day now I check my emails and find my spam folder has dozens of non-delivery notifications.
    Why??? And more importantly, how can I stop them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I was receiving River, until I changed to Gmail, but now the list grows for people I don't receive an email notification for.

      Delete
    2. River if you find out how to stop that I'd be interested to know. Exactly the same thing is happening with moi :) it's so annoying to have to delete them every time I open my emails.. but I'm not changing to GMail Andrew!

      Delete
  5. I didn't used to get email notification of your comments but I do now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, yes, that seems to work well now, but there are the consequences. I did receive an email that you commented at least.

      Delete