Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Personal Diary

The stars aligned and we were able to meet Victor from Sydney for coffee at Riverland, Federation Wharf during his brief visit to Melbourne to see a show. It was great to see him, and who would have imagined back in 2005 when I started my blog that I would end up meeting wonderful and kind people who go out of their way to take us about and show us their town.

After chin wagging with Victor, we on to the shops. Sister's wife/husband, the Bone Doctor, is turning forty and we needed a gift. Sister suggested a small suitcase. We did look a bit last week but we were not happy with what we saw, nor the prices. I am not sure why, probably some serious inadequacy issues on my part, but I have not met many local Melbourne bloggers and one comes to my immediate mind, Fen. Fen bought a Tetris Lamp from an Australia Geographic store and I liked it. Bone Doctor is a little nerdy and I think the game Tetris might have been around in her youth, so we bought the lamp as a gift to her.

When Bone Doctor turned 30, she was working at the Austin Hospital and we attended her birthday party at a nearby venue, and met her family for the first time. Step Father was still alive then. This time she has hired a venue on the Bellarine near to where she and Sister live. One of her patients owns an accommodation place and has offered Bone Doctor's party guests two nights for the price of one. I have booked the Queen Room, settle down kiddies, as it was the only one that offered twin beds and is in a separate motel style building apart from the old building with its poshness, heavy old antique furniture, creaking floorboards, Axminster carpets and thin walls. I may be doing the place a disservice. I don't actually know, but we are looking forward to the two nights away.

So we are going to a party, a 40th, with a heap of lezzos, medical people, school teachers, kids and Bone Doctor's rather unconventional family. Should be a ball! Maybe not for the tame R and myself. Bone Doctor's family is unconventional. Her father is an early retired doctor with mental health issues, her mother is a working nurse, and of course they are also grandparents to Little Jo. BD's mother makes Little Jo be organised and do jobs when she visits. One of BD's sister's is a very shy radiographer, the other sister is a road works construction worker by day and a pole dancer by night, and her brother has mental health and drug issues and is on a disability pension, living in a shared house in the inner northern suburbs where he can play computer games until his heart is content.

They make  my family seem ever so normal, and here is an update. Fire Fighting Niece is now in Edinburgh and opined, Edinburgh Castle is much nicer from the outside than the inside. She has chummed up hanging out with with a gay couple from Perth, Australia. Next stop for her, Glasgow.

Fire Fighting Nephew went to see Matilda on Broadway, exactly as we did about one year ago. They have done and seen so many things in New York that we did, but I bet they didn't go to the Transport Museum in Brooklyn.

Back to beginning. What I did not tell Victor was that I had terrible back pain. The same thing happened a couple of years ago, without any obvious reason. Last time I saw my doctor who referred me to a physiotherapist and I had three sessions of treatment and an understanding of what was wrong and some exercises. Needless to say, as soon as my back was ok, I stopped the exercises. This time I am going down the drug road with a drug called Voltaren, at R's suggestion. He has at times suffered from extremely debilitating back pain, without also without knowing any real cause. I know my back will heal itself in time, and the drug seems to be a good help with pain and apparently has anti inflammatory properties, about which I am a little cynical.

23 comments:

  1. I suspect most families are on the weird side.
    Good luck with getting your back to settle. And have fun at what sounds like a very eclectic party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, the back is much better. Drugs are good. I am not a party person but at least I will know a number of people there.

      Delete
  2. oh dear I am so sorry about the backache. strengthening the supporting muscles is usually recommended, so get back to those exercises. LOVED The BD Family. oh yes my word, pet. fabulous. The party will be wonderful and I wish I was there too.
    Very best regards to you both from one of the Bloggers Of 2005 that you have lunched with IRL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, that is the way to go, strong muscles to support the back. Yes, lunch etc is a very happy memory.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear you're having issues with your back.
    'Construction worker by day, pole dancer by night'. I love it!
    Isn't it great to meet blogger friends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, it is indeed, and how freely they give you their time.

      Delete
  4. "They make my family seem ever so normal" ... that is so funny :) Most people think their own family is fairly average. Sure, Uncle Phil falls down drunk at every wedding and Cousin Daisy has had more live-in boyfriends than anyone on the planet. But they all hold down a job and get together on birthdays and holy days.

    Then we all find out that every family is strange in its own unique way :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it is a bit like the phrase, everyone has a story, and they do.

      Delete
  5. The Voltaren gel rub is quite good for the pain spot on the outside. It sounds like a great party and speaking of parties and coffee, not a mention of a certain fat lady's birthday on the 31st of July, no afternoon tea, no gin on the balcony. You'll regret this oversight, revenge will be sweet. One morning you'll wake up to find a hot air balloon passing the highrise carrying a naked dancing lady throwing kisses to you. Sleep on that Cameraface!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, had I read this a day earlier, I would cursed you for making me laugh out loud, which would hurt my back more. As it is, I just enjoyed the laugh.

      Delete
  6. I love your family story

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your families are so interesting, mine is extremely tame by comparison.
    emailing you re Voltaren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, perhaps it is that I make them sound more interesting than they are. I am quite truthful though.

      Delete
  8. The tetris lamp is great, though I do wish they'd made it a little weightier. I'm tempted to get another one so I can build a bit wide tetris. I call mine planet tetris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yeah and you and I should meet up some day, though atm I'm shit with everything coz of the boy in my life. No apologies, I'm having a great time.

      Delete
    2. Fen, while we haven't opened the box, I can understand what you mean about the weight. I'm very pleased for you with your boy. Young love......

      Delete
  9. Bone Doctor's family sound awesomely eccentric, you guys will have a brilliant time Andrew! It's a good thing I love my family dearly, one in particular is being tres annoying at the moment.. well to be honest she is often annoying ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ sorry to hear about the backache Andrew, surely you two are getting past swinging from the chandeliers ๐Ÿ˜‰ hope the Voltaren works, is it the pills or the cream? If the pills, take them with food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. I am sure it is just a stage she going through. The invention of downlights was the end of our fun. It is the pills and R knows all about this type of medication and instructs me.

      Delete
  10. What a family. that party sounds a hoot although with your current back problems I doubt you will be dancing the night away. Have just stated physio on my leg which I injured during the coast to coast last year (had to wait for a tear in the tendon to heal before the physio). Am hoping for great things. Yes I do the exercises but then the physio is not NHS and is expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, good luck with your leg. I don't remember your injury being so bad. You should whinge more! It is the same here We have to pay for physio from our pockets, although you can probably get hospital physio for free, but there would be a wait.

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed our catch up Andrew and once again thank you and R for taking time out of your weekend to spend it with me.

    You certainly concealed your back discomfort well. I didn't notice or maybe I am too self centred to notice.

    The show I saw was so impressive I immediately booked afterwards for their following production next month. This time you will spared having to make time for me as my visit will be a fly in/fly out same day affair.

    As usual I was charmed, if rather chilly, in Melbourne. Heresy for a Sydneysider to concede but I rather like the southern capital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I am pleased the show was worth your effort to visit Melbourne. It wasn't a matter of making time. Meeting you is a pleasure and fitted in well with what we had to do. I am sure we have had colder winters but I don't remember so many local people complaining about the cold. In my opinion, it has been a rather rough winter in Melbourne.

      Delete