Monday, July 18, 2016

Musical Monday

Check River's Musical Monday offering here.

I listened to a BBC podcast about Sylvester, that is the singer, not the cat. I knew nothing about him, not even that it was a him, apart from some of his music. He was gay, black, had a marvellous falsetto voice and grew up in very modest circumstances in Los Angeles. By the age of 22 he had left home and his church and was living and performing in San Francisco. He employed two female backing singers, Martha Wash and Izora Rhodes who went on later to make up part of The Weather Girls. He shot to fame when he released his album, Step II, in 1978. He certainly knew how to style himself, as these photos show. I contend that this song is up there with other gay iconic tracks such as Donna Summer's I Feel Love.








From the album, Step II, You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real). 4:27 The larger than life diva Sylvester died from complications of HIV/AIDS in 1988, aged 41.


If you are interested, the BBC podcast is here and a documentary made by US tv station TV One is here on You Tube.

16 comments:

  1. I'll have to dig out the earbuds to listen so I don't wake Mom, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranky, my world too.

      Delete
  2. Not a singer I knew. Thank you for continuing my education. We lost way too many talented people to HIV/Aids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, but you know the song? Yes, we lost many talented people, but an awful lot more ordinary people. Things are pretty good now, so I hear.

      Delete
  3. He doesn't press my buttons maybe because I'm not gay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice song though, Diane.

      Delete
  4. My goodness those shorts are tight!
    I'm not familiar with Sylvester or the song, but it's not bad for dancing to, a very disco sound.
    Sad that he died so young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, not as tight as AFL football shorts of the 80s. Serious disco music.

      Delete
  5. Andrew I have never heard about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, well, now you know a little about him. All knowledge is good.

      Delete
  6. I never heard about him either !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, I really knew nothing about him too, or even whether it was a him or her.

      Delete
  7. Gosh be certainly knew how to change his looks, I like a bit of disco music now and then 😃😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, good party music.

      Delete
  8. You broadened my horizons....again:) I wasn't familiar with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, as I broaden my own.

      Delete