Thursday, July 07, 2016

Moving your email from an ISP to the cloud

Victor asked the question, how did I do it. Although only a week or so ago, I forget, but I will play around and it will be easier the second time. Btw, I have a few email accounts and I set up Mother's email so she could have a Face Book page. They are all aggregated by my Yahoo email app on my phone and tablet. I don't have to sign in to each one individually, just click on the email name.

This post is probably only helpful to Bigpond users who access their mail using the old Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express or the newer version from Microsoft, Windows Live Mail. The last release was in 2012, so clearly people are not longer much using Windows Live Mail and Microsoft is not doing anything with it. Victor's main issue is accessing his email when travelling. While you can access your Telstra ISP delivered email using a browser and Telstra's Web Mail, Web Mail is extremely clunky, unreliable and difficult to use and not everything is accessible, such as your Contact List email addresses unless you add them to Web Mail site. I expect Telstra, like Microsoft is no longer prepared to spend money on such a dinosaur. Gmail, Yahoo Mail and many others are just so good now.

Ok, I set up a joint Gmail email account for R and myself. I am referring to what I have done on our desktop computer here. I am now using the Chrome browser, with its home page set to Google. I open Chrome and click on Gmail on the Google page. Firefox home page is our joint Gmail account and R accesses his personal Gmail using Internet Explorer or whatever it is now called, maybe Edge? Using the three different browsers saves us logging in and logging out to accounts.

So, you have set up your Gmail account. Go to your inbox, top right of the page is a cog wheel and click. Choose Settings and then select the tab at the top, Accounts and Imports, then Check mail from other accounts (using POP3): You will be taken to another page to add your ISP email address, in our and Victor's case, that is Telstra Big Pond. Because we are long time cable internet users our email address ends in the awkward bigpond.net.au Victor's probably ends in the simpler bigpond.com 

After you enter your email, you will be asked to enter some other detail and I can't go further now than just say what I remember. I think outgoing and incoming email need the address mail.bigpond.com That was easy to find. Not so SMTP server and I had a devilish time finding out what should be entered there. I just could not find out. Eventually I tried the same, mail.bigpond.com and it worked and lo and behold, any mail sent to our ISP account, started arriving in our Gmail and so far as I can see, it works flawlessly. Using Gmail takes some getting used to and is perhaps not quite as convenient as Windows Live Mail, but it is pretty good. 

If you plan to make a clean break from Windows Live Mail and your ISP and only use Gmail, do not click on the Send Mail As link. Things will get messy if you do.

Today in a moment of inspiration, I remember that before we bought the new computer, I backed up all our emails, dating back to about 1997 and saved them on our backup drive. I installed Windows Live Mail without actually connecting it to work, and then imported all our old emails and they are there. We are only missing January to June 2016. The emails from when we dealt with supplier of the failed new computer are there too. I don't know why we save them as we never look at them but I like that our email history is there. 

I suggest you keep your ISP email address going until you notify all of your change of email address.

That is about it. Now you have to get busy changing your email with various companies. I am about 2/3 of the way through doing that. It is not so hard. I only had to resort to the phone with one company and its auto process would probably have worked had I persisted. Sometimes the phone is the best way to do things.

Very last tech post for a good while. Thank you for your patience.



13 comments:

  1. That seems like a lot of faffing around. Is this because you keep your emails instead of deleting them once you've read them?
    I remember being with Outlook Express when I had a desktop computer, but when it died and I got a laptop, it came with Windows XP and I had my daughter K help to sign me up with y7mail which I believe is Yahoo and I just never bothered with Outlook Express again. I had nothing stored in there that I didn't already have written down, all my friends email addresses for instance.
    Windoes Live Mail sometimes pops its window up if I'm on a web page and use the "contact us" feature, so I let it open, copy the email address, then close it down and contact them through my y7mail instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I am great saver of my history, which is odd because I doubt any of things I save will be of any interest to anyone. We have our Friend in Japan's emails there back to since when she first lived there. All saved, but never reread. In my wardrobe I have travel documents, papers and pamphlets from every holiday we have taken. Most of our recent holidays are more email and internet based. Just as well as my wardrobe is only so big. You made the right decision with email much earlier than we did.

      Delete
    2. Print them out, and stash them in the wardrobe with the rest, then empty the email files. Simplify.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for going to all that trouble to record what you did Andrew. I already have a gmail account and will try to work out the best way to get to there from my bigpond.net.au account.

    As I use Apple my browser is Safari. I have long had two hotmail accounts, the bigpond account and the gmail account set up but only the gmail seems to work equally well when travelling as when I am at home. Hence my intention to migrate as much of my email activity across to gmail as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all Victor, and I hope it might be useful to someone else too. It does take time and effort, but in the long run, I think it is worth doing.

      Delete
  3. Thankfully I can outsource all this stuff now to the boy! So good. Though I can do it, mostly. I did get him to polish my counselling work email last night. It's forwarded using pop3 to a gmail account. Not that you would know coz there is no reference to gmail at all. Kinda nifty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, when you said you knew a boy who help with tech stuff, you didn't say it was your boy.

      Delete
  4. Sigh. I do still (mostly) use Live Mail. Some day I will update things...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, losing our Bigpond email address when we connect with another company to the NBN is what brought this on. The demise of the computer just brought it forward by a month or two. Windows Live Mail works really well and we will miss it. But onwards and upwards so not to be tied to Telstra, instead tied to Google Inc.

      Delete
  5. I was given a new smart phone by my son as a birthday present. As yet I can't access email on it but just reading your post I'm thinking why bother? Do I really need to access emails 24/7? I think not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I have only just started doing that, reading only. Only because I can and it is now so easy. I certainly don't need 24/7 access to them.

      Delete
  6. Crikey Andrew ....... Mum (my secreatary) just went cross eyed. Wanna come to our house and sort her out?? Or better still. Do YOU want to be my Secretary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, while I can manage such things, it is not an enjoyable experience for me. I just want things to work, not to have to maintain them, but that is what I must do.

      Delete