Saturday, July 09, 2016

Lack of Logic

I have showed you the light and wet little gel things we bought in Freemantle in Western Australia before. Here is a photo of the tiny remote control for the lighting. Press the red button to turn it on and the green button to turn it off. I had some trouble with this logic when setting it up before I eventually put my glasses on and could read the text on the buttons. Green is go, red is stop. The remote is simply wrong.



Never mind that, what about our Italian made hotplates? If I planned which dial lit which hot plate, I would do it left to right, as we read, or used to before we starting reading down from up on the computer screen. This arrangement is just so illogical and counter intuitive to me.

The layout of the burners is fine and conventional enough. Wok burner at the front left, small burner to the right, small burner to the rear left and large burner rear right. As you can see, it is vertical arrangement of the dials to light and adjust the burners.


Bottom dial is for the wok burner on the front left. Good. Not so good is the next one up, which I would have light the front right burner. I can live with it lighting the rear left burner though. It is almost logical that the two lower dials operate the left hand burners.

So following that logic, the two rear dials operate the right hand burners and that is quite true but..... The third dial operates the right hand back burner and the last dial operates the right hand front burner. You may not have an issue with this, but by golly, as an infrequent user of the hotplates, when I do, I spend a lot of time turning on the wrong burner.

After reading what I wrote, I am not sure it is clear. I have taken another photo. I must get on to household management about cleaning the stove top. Still, better to be used to cook food with love than remain pristine.........oh god, how sickly sweet.



19 comments:

  1. I was a bit confused myself over that remote. So is green for go and red for stop or the way around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red for go and green for stop.

      Delete
  2. Id kill my mother for that clean stove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it is not clean, but it has, well the old hotplates, have been much worse.

      Delete
  3. Your final sentence is both sickly sweet and true.
    The red for go issue would do my head in. (Not hard these days.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, if I was a dictator, I would say off with the head of the bloke who thought red for go and green for stop was a good idea, and no doubt it was a bloke.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you about the red and green buttons (and I'm colourblind!).

    Was confused by the burner buttons description. The last photograph would have made things clearer, I think.

    Finally and most importantly; Freemantle!!?? The extra 'e' disturbed me for the entire post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I am so fortunate to have you hovering, always ready and willing to help the ill educated. I never really did find out how to pronounce Fremantle, but I think I do it with a short e, almost Framantle. I don't know if that is correct or not, but given the way I pronounce it, my spelling was a serious error, as was Kuala Lumpur in the past, which I had correctly spelt many times.

      Delete
  5. I knew someone who died in the USA crossing the roads. Due to decades of experience and poor logic, she looked to the right first. As I would do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, funnily I was discussing that problem with a workmate, a couple of days ago. It is fine when crossing a straight street, but oh at corners. Which way are the cars going to come at you from?

      Delete
  6. I can't think of any appliance I need at this time. When my electric hot water heater goes I will replace with gas one.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, thought of solar with some gas back up? Probably cost a bit.

      Delete
  7. That stove top looks clean enough to me.
    I have four hotplates too with the biggest being the back left, which is ridiculous, it should be at the front. Anyway, the knobs are vertical, like yours, but the top one operates the back right plate, next is the back left plate, then the front left plate and last, the bottom knob operates the front right plate. so from top to bottom, they operate each hotplate in a counter clockwise direction from the back right.
    Whoever designed that remote must be colour blind. The entire universe works on the red for stop, green for go principle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, did you and John actually click on the photo? There is burnt on grease. R never listens to me when I tell him to always wipe off the grease as that will stop it getting burnt onto the hotplate rings.

      Your hotplates knobs are quite logical and I think the same as our old hotplate.

      Delete
    2. I hadn't clicked on the photo, but I did just now and see what you mean. I couldn't leave it like that, I'd be scrubbing it off. I have a few tiny stains on my hotplate that I haven't been able to get off, they were there when I moved in and I've cleaned as much as I can off it.

      Delete
  8. Too many confusing button labels. Or those that drive me nuts, in symbols, that I often don't get or forget, painted the same color as surrounding area, so you can't make them, without reader glasses and good light, even if you could remember what action each symbol stands for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, symbols are a nightmare. I am only familiar with the most basic emoticons. And the need to keep putting glasses on to see things is tiresome. You can become quite good at learning where buttons are, rather than reading them each time.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grace at Perth Daily Photo said,

    Your gel lamp has such a pretty remote, so many coloured buttons that look like smarties 😃 I agree the switches for the burners do seem a little randomly placed but as long as R is familiar with them all will be well!

    ReplyDelete