Friday, July 01, 2016

Just you wait, Higgins, just you wait

Outside our supermarket last Saturday a man was handing out shopping bags emblazoned with the name Kelly O'Dwyer, who is the sitting member for the Liberal Party (conservative) for what is the normally the very safe seat of Higgins. Higgins was the seat of former treasurer, Peter Costello. R took one of the offered bags without thinking too much about what he was doing. I soon questioned his sanity, to walk around with a bag promoting the Liberal Party. I then walked five steps behind him. I am not with him. What would people think of us?

We had done most of our shopping at Coles and were just popped into Woolworths for a couple of things that Coles did not have. I suppose I was distracted. I paid for the four items, R picked up the supermarket bag and I picked up...........oh no, the Kelly O'Dwyer bag. I didn't even think about until I was nearly to the car and realised what I had done; that is exhibited myself to the great unwashed in the Prahran car park as a Liberal Party supporter. Oh, the shame, the terrible shame and not even seeing the normally such pleasurable sight of the Sheriff  wheel clamping a shiny black BMW could alleviate my embarrassment.


O'Dwyer and the Liberal Party are a little worried about her normally safe seat as another candidate is doing well in the media polls. Jason Ball is The Greens candidate. He is personable, gay, an activist, a former Aussie Rules football player and after seeing him in real life yesterday at a pre polling booth, much more handsome than when he appears on tv or in photos.

Jason Ball, oh tall one, with Greens Party leader, Dr Richard Di Natale.  Tall players often play in the ruck position of the footy field. I think he'd be quite a good ruck.


We have both used ABC's online Vote Compass to see where we sit on the political spectrum. It made R confused but something happened in the media yesterday, I know not what, that eased his mind and he has now decided who to vote for. Vote Compass tells me I am to the left of The Greens, making me somewhat of an extremist. I am a fairly conservative person, so that is an odd result.

Is it an old Australian saying? 'Don't vote for the bastards, it only encourages them.' There may be some truth in that, but vote we must, or at least attend the polling booth and have our names crossed off. It is the law. I like another saying better, 'whoever we vote for, a politician will be elected'.

Many people, who are normally confident about who to vote for, seem unsure this election, myself included. We are perhaps rather disillusioned with the major parties. Perhaps I should say more disillusioned than we normally are. Perhaps not in the House of Representatives, which is first past the post after preferences are allocated, consider your vote carefully in the Senate. Some good things have come from having minority parties in the Senate, but you won't hear any of the major parties admitting that.

To wrap, as you vote, take ten seconds to remember what a privileged society we live in, where we can freely have our say about who governs us.

This was composed on the notebook computer with a screen I can barely read. Commas, full stops and specks of dust look the same. The photo was taken with the tablet computer, the first time I have used its camera, and uploaded from there. It is a messy business.

31 comments:

  1. the photo looks great

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a tad surprised at how far to the left Vote Compass put me too.
    I have voted. Don't think I will be happy with the result, but so beit.
    And I feel your pain about being seen as Liberal Supporter. Though there are worse parties out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, you are quite right. There are a number of really bad small parties.

      Delete
    2. I also did the Vote Compass and found myself as far left as the grid went. But hell, I knew that back in the 1960s when I filled in my grandmother's ballot paper (she had horrible arthritis).

      Thankfully we are one of only 36 nations with compulsory voting. If a nation hasn't heard from _every_ citizen, how can that country know that its parliament is democratic?

      Delete
    3. Hels, hehe, your grandmother voted very radically. Perhaps with no compulsory voting, not voting is seen as a vote for the status quo. But look what happened in Britain when so many young people did not bother to vote.

      Delete
  3. Not much on offer this election one is as bad as the other.
    That's as bad as taking a Aldie shopping bag to Woolworths the Beer Fairy was shocked when he saw me do that.
    Merle.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, carrying a different supermarket bag in a supermarket would not worry me, but R would not do it.

      Delete
  4. Not as bad as having an almost relative running for Family First for the Senate. Against him Ricky Muir looks like Prime Minister material.
    The only thing you could have done better with R was wear one of those T-shirts saying 'I'm with stupid' which would have worked quite well when you were carrying the bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary, Jah Teh. Yes, wearing that tee shirt would be funny.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous12:08 pm

    For the Senate, I crossed out the Arts Party and wrote in the Arty Farty Party. I felt a lot better. Please don't vote for Derryn Hinch - if you do, he'll never shut up. - Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, I have discussed policies with Famous Bearded Media Person Local Resident when I've seen him in the lift. There is a good chance he will be elected.

      Delete
  6. "Just you wait 'enry 'iggins!" love that movie.

    voting? well.....maybe they'll show my paper on TV after I colour it with pink daisies (*~*)
    I have two sheets of newspaper sitting by my elbow, waiting to be read after dinner. It's all about who's running and what they stand for.
    Maybe it will help me decide, but I'll take along my pink pencils just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think the vote counters would like the pink daisies. I heard one say, if you are going to draw a penis on the ballot paper, at least make it a big one.

      Delete
  7. I was going to use Annabel Crabb :) (Kitchen Cabinet)as my guide, she had dinner with Bill Shorten on Wednesday and dinner with Turnbull on Thursday.. didn't help me much at all, she's fab though I would vote for her if she was running :)Will be tres interesting to see the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I agree, vote 1 Crabb. Both seemed perfectly nice people in Kitchen Cabinet.

      Delete
  8. The lucky folks at Higgins gets to vote for Jason AND send a political message by kicking out O'Dwyer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, it expected to be a close call for O'Dwyer because of preferences. Jason gave it a good shot and has done well, even if he is not elected.

      Delete
  9. With such a long election campaign it is a relief to finally be at election day so we no longer have to put up with all the ads, jargon and BS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said CM. But oh no, the American election coming. At least the Aussie one is more relevant to us.

      Delete
  10. ha ha carrying the Lib bag. That's a hoot. A bit tricky too of those who made them. It will be an interesting night but I don't think Aussies want a change at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought of that Diane. Chinese sweatshop workers no doubt. Chairman Mao would not be happy. At 9.04 pm, I think you may have called it an hour earlier.

      Delete
  11. Dots and dust do look the same, don't they? He's a handsome fellow. Good enough reason to vote for anyone these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I do like a politician to be nicely turned out. They usually are. They can afford expensive clothes and have advisers.

      Delete
  12. http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseDivisionPage-20499-215.htm

    is where to keep track of your member who may be quite a good ruck but is still behind the vile O'Dwyer.
    I don't read people's shopping bags so don't fret as I am not unusual. Durward Hinch got in. oh dear god, a foreigner with a conviction. what a country we are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, but we aren't Higgins. We are Melbourne Ports. Shall I call DH, Senator, when see him in the lift?

      Delete
    2. I too live in Melbourne Ports and think our local member is amazing. He (Michael Danby) has responded to every request from his constituents, ever since he was first elected in 1998.

      Delete
  13. Looks like O'Dwyer survived. A pity really. A gay Liberal candidate won in Brisbane and it would have been good if a Ball win had added to the tally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Former Mayor of City of Port Phillip, Julian Hill is gay and won the seat of Bruce for Labor after the sitting Labor member retired.

      Delete
  14. I voted Labour (DOBELL)NSW It was a dead cert, I did not intend to vote for an obvious loser. Great post Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vest. I prefer to spell labour that way too, but I bow to the Labor Party's spelling for their name only. The party's spelling has an interesting history, which I have totally forgotten.

      Delete