Thursday, July 14, 2016

An open letter to The Greens

This was not finished and of course was meant to be posted before the recent Federal Election. As I have nothing else ready to post, it will have to do for today.


Dear Greens,

While I have voted for you in the past, I will not be doing so in the immediate future until you get back to your base of the environment. I am about to put a stop to all your pleading emails.

There is an amount of self interest in this letter, as I have been badly affected by the huge increase in Melbourne's population over the past decade, both at work and in my own time. The population where I live has grown hugely and clogged up roads and public transport. It is now often a miserable experience to travel in my own city.

While I have never seen it spelt out on your website, you seem to wish to open the doors to everyone who wants to come to Australia. The theory of sharing our supposedly good lives with the needy of the world is admirable, but as Melbourne's population has grown exponentially, we actually do have kangaroos hopping down suburban streets, somewhat disoriented by the loss of their grazing lands. Kangaroos are high on the food chain. How many other lesser creatures have lost their homes as our suburbs ever expand.

A large density increase in the inner areas has happened, supposedly to slow the expansion of Melbourne at the edges, but both are happening without abatement.

The land where our vegetables and fruit are grown has become so valuable and highly taxed, the owners of this rich land for primary production are about to be driven out.

I am generally quite happy with the numbers of refugees we take in. I may well have issues about where they come from and the numbers that are taken from a particular country when there are so many on the list. Mix and blend and don't frighten the horses, if you please. Without checking figures, I suspect refugees are a much smaller proportion of our immigration intake.

I could bang on for much longer but I conclude with, Greens, you have lost your environmental vision for Australia. Humans and what we do are the biggest problem in the world and hugely expanding the population of Australia is doing us no good at all.


8 comments:

  1. Yes. And no.
    I am appalled at what we are doing to asylum seekers. No, I don't have an easy answer, but I want something different.
    Your final sentence is so very true - and it wasn't the Greens who introduced a baby bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bingo! Or Snap! or something. How many young people now have two or more babies they can't afford to raise properly because they had them in order to get the baby bonus. It seems like a lot of money when you have none. but it doesn't last all that long, certainly not even as long as the child's first six months. Then you face 18 or more years of needing to feed, clothe and educate those children, and even more expenses if they are born disabled or become ill later.

      Delete
    2. EC, thanks. It is a hard one and there must be a balance of some sort.

      River, so true, and you speak from experience. As children generally survive childhood now, two is quite enough and you don't need spares anymore.

      Delete
  2. One a year I write to my elected officials voicing my concern. Then when issue comes up and I feel strongly about the issue. I call and ask them to possible vote one way or anther.
    One thing I was wondering about Kangaroos. How do people keep them out of yard and gardens.
    We have to fence about everything in. Left part strawberry fence down and there deer came in and mow them right down.

    Coffee is right on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, although officials' offices would be flooded if everybody did that, I think it is a great idea. Kangaroos, like deer I suppose, are quite shy. Usually back yards or gardens have high timber paling fences, and so no accessible. The kangaroo diet is mostly grass and people don't tend to have front lawns anymore and if they do, they often let it die off in summer and so if there is not much grass in the bush to eat, then there is probably not much in people's gardens either.

      Delete
  3. You've hit upon one of my own favourite sore spots. Good farming land being built over.
    Why can't they find land that isn't good for food production and build housing estates there, connect them to the city with big freeways and public transport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, they are kind of doing that here with rocky grazing land, but the pressure is on the nearby vegetable farming land. Farmers can make big money by subdividing their land and if they don't, they pay land taxes on the value of the land as housing and not farmland. It is wrong.

      Delete
  4. Very succinctly stated Andrew and I agree with every word!

    ReplyDelete