Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Yarra River Walk Day 1 Pt 2

Smaller versions of these used to be seen around the city and were called pissoirs. The were generally for men only and there were not sitting down facilities. I don't even know if they had water for hand washing.


I am now approaching the next bridge across the Yarra, Morell Bridge. I can remember when it carried cars but is now pedestrian and bicycles only. It is a two lane bridge at the bottom of the steep Anderson Street which runs down the eastern flank of the Botanic Gardens. We have always called it the Anderson Street Bridge.


Botanic Gardens landing.


Then the Anderson Street fishing landing.


Lovely old lamps and you can see some of the bridge detail.


On the far bank, a Y shaped litter trap with the open part of the y facing upstream.


The next river crossing is the Punt Road Bridge. It carries thousands of cars, trucks and buses on the main north south road. It's four lanes wide and is at the bottom of the steep Punt Road hill. While it is a nice bridge, it badly needs painting and I don't understand why it is so neglected. Those who used to catch a punt across the river would not have imagined how the bridge changed Melbourne.


The Nylex clock is visible from The Highrise but unfortunately has been switched off for a number years, although it did briefly light up one night when some lads broke in and switched it on. For as long back as I can remember, the clock informed people of the time and temperature and is non operational state is lamented by many. I think there is a preservation order on the clock, but not on the silos themselves. A developer is in dispute with the local council about the number of apartments that can be built on the site. I suggest that apartments can built within the silos and at the base and the development's body corporate become responsible for the cost of operating the clock.


A nice South Yarra apartment building.


 Here I go, under the Punt Road Bridge.


Punt Road does not look steep in my photo. I can assure you it is, like inner eastern Sydney suburbs steep.


At the corner of Punt Road and Alexandra Avenue this most wonderful monster Golden Elm seems to thrive on the fumes of millions of vehicles.


Punt Road Landing.


Lots of Peppercorn trees lining the path.


Above me are what are known as the 'Hollywood flats'. They line Alexandra Avenue and are impressive. I have photographed them all and they can be seen via this link.



Fishing from the Caroline Street Landing.


The highly decorated  roof of this apartment building intrigues me. It is visible from The Highrise and I once swung off Alexandra Avenue in a brief and failed attempt to see the building close up. I must go on foot.


I had never noticed this Our Magic Hour before. Google tells me it is a sculpture and originally sat atop the Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney.


This is a major train bridge in Melbourne, carrying passengers on the Pakenham and Cranbourne lines, the Sandringham line, freight trains and The Gippslander country train.


Melbourne High School is a selective entry government school for boys. It has had a hard battle fighting against the impact of high rise developments and seemingly it lost on all counts.


The playing grounds.


Steps up from Alexandra Avenue.


Chapel Street to the south changes its name to Church Street as it crosses the river. This is known as the Church Street Bridge.


It is a very nice bridge, carrying vehicles, pedestrians, bicycles and trams over the Yarra.



No crocodiles warming their cold blood on this patch of exposed river bed. The river is tidal for quite a distance upstream and it appears the tide is out. This is a man made bifurcation in the river with Herring Island in the centre.


Once past Chapel Street, some very modern and expensive properties appear.



In the distance is the landing for the punt needed to visit Herring Island. We once went onto the island for a picnic with friends. I think our Friend in Japan was with us.


On the other side of the road is Como Park, now home to the South Yarra Cricket Club but once part of the grounds of the historic Como Estate.


Herring Island is not large, just over three hectares, eight acres.


We must visit the island again soon.


It is time for me to take a well earnt (earned?) break for a cup of excellent coffee at Kanteen.

23 comments:

  1. Andrew I love botanic garden in every country the plants are really interesting for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, our Botanic Gardens really are quite wonderful, helped by them being on a steep hill in parts.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. EC, I expect, actually know, the further upstream you go, the more utilitarian they come.

      Delete
  3. I'M very fond of bridges too.
    But tell me is there no Ladies toilets or do we just swat in the grass.
    The Yarra looks nice and clean and apartments blocks are everywhere these days.
    Merle................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, in this one yes, but in the ones of the same style I mentioned, no. Ladies toilets were in very short supply in early Melbourne. One public toilet for women was built and lads used to hang around watching women enter, with their imaginations working feverishly.

      Delete
  4. If money was no object, it would be great to live along Alexandra Avenue, facing the river. The houses are stunning but even the blocks of 1930s flats are stunning, as you show with Hollywood flats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I thought about that, but I think I prefer to be near the beach.

      Delete
  5. I like the bridges, but confess to skimming past most of the photos and I'll come back for another look tomorrow.
    I like the look of the Hollywood Flats, the white building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I know a little about the Hollywood flats but why such a style of flats were built along the river, I do not know.

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed your walk.
    The bridges look nice over the river...it all looks clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, clean apart from our murky and at times rubbish laden river. The health of the river water has much improved in recent years.

      Delete
  7. The Church Street Bridge is beautiful I think. We need such litter traps here, they're clever. As for the high rise behind the high school, somehow as captured in your photo, both become stunning. Love that photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The litter traps are good, Strayer. There are a few of them. Some of the new towers in that area and high quality buildings and it shows.

      Delete
  8. Le pissoirs, trust the French to be so literal :)Andrew don't the apartments along Alexandra Avenue remind you a little of the area yourself and Ray stayed in while in Perth, the area up around Kings Park. One day I'm going to walk around there and take shots of the lovely Art Deco buildings. Church Street bridge is too lovely, all those gorgeous arches! Hmmm! Maybe a littler trap would solve that tricky problem at Elizabeth Quay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, it does not really remind of Kings Park. Kings Park is quite unique, I think. The litter traps are located where the current flows bringing down the rubbish. The current flow into the Quay would be low but there would be a place where there is flow and expert water people would be able to identify it and situate the trap.

      Delete
  9. That would be 'litter trap' :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed coming along with you and seeing more of the sights of Melbourne. Didn't realise there were so many bridges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, while I know all the bridges, I too didn't quite realise how many there are. We don't normally count them, do we.

      Delete
  11. I can't say that I recall seeing the Our Magic Hour sign in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, someone in Sydney saw commonsense?

      Delete
  12. My friends live in that pink building, it's called Dorrington House. We watch the fireworks on NYE from the Caroline St Landing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's right Fen, Dorrington House. It had only slipped my mind about where you watch the fireworks.

      Delete