Thursday, June 30, 2016

I am about to die

We have an external hard drive as a back up. It is just as well as today I was informed by the pc repair company that of the two drives on our computer, the failed drive contained everything. Why weren't they shown separately so that I knew where things were? Counting the cost of this loss is yet to fully measured. I don't know how the back up drive works and I don't have much faith in it. I manually backed up everything before we bought the new computer. The computer returns tomorrow, without anything on it.

We received a scare letter in the mail today about the new underground Metro Rail to be built nearby. R is in a foul mood about it and is banging on about why didn't we move when the project was announced. Well, who would have known we would be almost be sitting on top of a railway station. If everything is true in the letter, during the construction period we are in a dire situation living here.

I am in a foul mood because I had almost completed the process of migrating our Telstra isp email to Gmail. All I need is a code word in our Telstra email, but it just won't open.

Wise people say things like, one day your hard drive will crash and you need to have everything backed up. Wise words, but after twenty years of losing almost nothing, I was complacent. Take a lesson from that.

I am ready to open a vein, but instead I will go to bed and watch on my tablet a cog railway train in Switzerland climb a mountain, or perhaps, ten things to dislike about Australia.

Almost a proper post done for tomorrow morning. It may be a while before the next one.

19 comments:

  1. Well that was an attention grabbing title Andrew :) Oh my lord what else can go wrong I say, but maybe shouldn't! One thing is for sure I will be backing up tomorrow, I would do it tonight but P is already asleep and I have no idea how to do it, how pathetic is that.. this time I am going to watch and learn :)Why will your situation be so dire, just how close will Metro Rail be, is the Highrise likely to disappear down a sinkhole.. that could be the third thing... no I seriously didn't mean that! Easy to say sometimes hard to do, stay calm Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, road closures are the main issue along with loss of street parking which we need for visitors, traffic congestion because of narrowed roads. I doubt it will be as bad as was suggested in the letter.

      Delete
  2. Don't open your vein over a stupid computer or that damn railway station being built at your feet, although those are good reasons, I have to admit. But there are better reasons. You got screwed royal with that computer. Here in the states, and maybe its not so bad, you'd be lawyering up, and making them pay. Just this post alone might garner you millions, that you would think of ending it all. That's pain and suffering. Worth a mint! So contemplate doing what we do best here: get a seedy lawyer and make some green gold off the negligence of some damn computer company who sold you trash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, maybe I should take it further, but my focus will be getting things back to normal. Sometimes it is just easier to cop it on the chin than go through the stress of taking action.

      Delete
    2. Was just trying to cheer you up, Andrew. And thump for justice!

      Delete
  3. Andrew take care and I am waiting for your post.. Don' worry be happy! We live only once

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, yes, must keep a sense of perspective.

      Delete
  4. Hiss and spit. And, in case your energy is depleted, I am doing a bit of it for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind, EC. You made me smile at least.

      Delete
  5. I feel your pain. Going from my only mobile bought in 2004 to a 2016 model is not doing much for my temper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, I find changing phones interesting and exciting, but my life does not depend on my phone.

      Delete
  6. Beware the lastest scam going around, an email "from" Telstra. It isn't of course, but does look legitimate, just don't click any of the links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I think I have received that and it is 'very good'. We became used to those dodgy emails and are immediately suspicious when we see them, but not so someone new to the internet.

      Delete
  7. ....aaaaand backing up tonight. Because my little laptop is working just fine, but she is getting on in computer years. Six or seven at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, especially back up photos. I only lost the last month of photos, annoying, but not the end of the world.

      Delete
  8. I wouldn't mind hearing how you migrate your email from Telstra to Gmail.

    I have decided to do something similar following problems with my bigpond account, especially when travelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I will email you the details. Its a bit tricky but I managed it.

      Delete
  9. I just lost a HD (external) with all my movies and stuff on it. Won't even power up. So annoying. I dont' trust them at all anymore, this is about the 4th one I have lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, this is our first hd failure. Of the many memory sticks, I have only had one fail. Most reliable seem to be burning to cd/dvd. I make two copies and none have ever failed. But they won't be able to be read forever, no matter I will be dead by then.

      Delete