Monday, June 27, 2016

Trades Hall

I forgot I had almost finished this post, so in spite of no desk top pc, here is a post with photos.

Trades Hall was recently featured on tv, inspiring me to visit for a look see. Externally it is fine building. Internally, it is both historic and a wreck. There was a recent fuss about the state Labor government granting money for some renovations. Gee, a Labor government is criticised for granting money to a trade union organisation, its support base.


Australia has a federal election coming soon, before the US presidential election but after the British Brexit vote.


The original Trades Hall was built in 1859, but was significantly upgraded by 1925.


The wind always blows the wrong way when trying to photograph flags. One of the flags is the Southern Cross.


Opposite Trades Hall is The Curtin, I think formerly The John Curtin Hotel, named after former Labor Prime Minister John Curtin.


This area was in ok nick. Out back through some doors was a modern building, I expect where all the real union action happens.







Twice Australia voted to not compulsorily send young men to war. Nevertheless, many went and were killed.





I think I recall a huge renovation of Trades Hall some years ago, but clearly it does need some work.


On the diagonally opposite corner is a memorial.


The triple eights, 8 hours work, 8 hours play and 8 hours rest.


Not in my time but I remember the slogan being; eight hours work, eight hours play, eight hours sleep and eight bob a day, bob being the slang namef a shilling. It is just as well that the last of eighty cents a day has been dropped. Big business would have us working for 80 cents a day if it had its way.


The earlier facade is in Lygon Street, Carlton. This southern side is in Victoria Street.


The radicals are in house on this side.


Just this week another person was killed in a workplace accident. You should be able to do your job and work in a safe environment.



I have been a proud member of a workers' union for 37 years. At 25 years of service I received a horrid silver platter from my work place that lives in a state of almost perpetual tarnish but I happily received my 30 year membership polished wooden plaque from my union. When I retire after 40 years as a member, I expect to receive honorary membership.  

11 comments:

  1. Andrew I love your slogan 8 hours work and play ... wonderful. I can see autumn leaves ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, not too many leaves left on the trees now, maybe a month after I took the photo. It has been a very late Autumn, in my opinion.

      Delete
  2. Some days I think big business would like us to pay for the privilege of working for them.
    I was a union member as well. And proud to be one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very pleased to hear that EC. An elephant stamp for you in my blog book.

      Delete
  3. Me too I was a union member all my working life I know some unions have their problems but they do protect their workers big business and the bosses do not care as long as the dollars are there for them.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, while you understand, it is sad that so many, especially young people, don't understand the importance of unions.

      Delete
  4. Not many union left. My daughter in law is member of flight attendant union.
    My dad was teamster member he worked for railroad.
    I never had a chance to join a union but if one came up for in-home care I would join in a jiffy.

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, pleased to hear your daughter is in a union. Gosh, the Teamster union is so famous. If any country needs unions, it is yours.

      Delete
  5. I don't remember what our Trades Hall looks like or even where it is. I was always in unions though, whatever job I had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, the union you would have been in at your last job is rubbish. I think your earlier unions would have been quite good. I just checked, 11-16 South Terrace, Adelaide, not an historic building. Wonder why?

      Delete
  6. The triple 8 monument is great.

    ReplyDelete