Friday, June 03, 2016

The Neighbours Garden

I am not sure who owned the building next door to us but ANZ Bank had naming rights. It was sold in 2013 for $45 million to the subsidiary of a Singaporean property developer. The garden did badly need something done with it as it never recovered properly from the last drought. Remember a year or so ago when overnight a huge crane lifted out the old air conditioning plant and put in a new one overnight, a mere twenty metres from where I slept undisturbed. Money has now been spent on the garden, with the renovation taking place over about three months from January. Frustratingly, there is still the temporary fencing around it.

The project began with scraping and removal of the old path and vegetation, excepting the three trees up against the building.



Soil was tilled. I could not believe how hard the couple of young labourers worked. With the stamina and engery they had, I think they could make a lot of money in other employment.


A trench was dug across the corner and another odd trench close to the corner. Of course we had no idea what the plan was.


Concrete was poured. Note the strange angle of poured concrete to your top right. The angle offended me.


More concrete poured and look, the shape of the building's street number has appeared in the soil.


Ah, I see.


Plants have been planted.


The plants were mulched.


More plants.


A wall has been built on that odd angle at the corner. It is a 90 degree corner and yet the wall, that turned out to be for the company name, sits very oddly with a different angle, I think.


Even more plants.


Fake turf is being laid and the workers are taking a break. I suppose some of you wish I had zoomed in on tradie legs.


More plants and some fake grass has completed the project. Another thing to offend the eye, odd spacing between the numbers. The surface of the numbers is of different levels and I assume intended to be used as seating. There are a couple of lamps to light the path.


I have been waiting and waiting for the fence to come down, but I am tired of waiting now and so this is how it looks at ground level, screened by the fence. The ANZ bank still has a sign there.


I still think the wall with the name is an odd angle. We shall see once the fence is down and there is a clearer view.


Two weeks ago one evening I pushed Dog Jack under  the fence and he did a big poo right on the fake grass and there was no way for me to get in to pick up . Nature will have dealt with it by the time the fence comes down.


The sign is back lit at night.
 

Think of it as when a neighbour does something nice to the exterior of their house, and a little of it rubs off onto yours. Nice work CEL. May your profits soar and you make your Singaporean shareholders very rich with Aussie dollars.

24 comments:

  1. looks interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it has been interesting to watch over time.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. Not a fan of fake turf though.
    Two of my partner's nephews are do similar work. They work hard - which gives them the time, energy and money to play hard. And have finished their day's work by three and often before. When they go to the gym!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like such a sloth after reading this :)

      Delete
    2. EC, that is amazing. I am not sure that too many manual workers do gym as well.

      We are River, we are.

      Delete
  3. I'm a bit of a garden fan it always improves a empty space, I like them to be a bit odd always interesting.
    Merle................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, you have a garden to you? I've never noticed.

      Delete
  4. I suppose some of you wish I had zoomed in on tradie legs? Goodness no. Your regulars are serious, committed to discussing politics, the environment, climate change, the constitution, piblic transport and the economy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Public? Pubic?

      Delete
    2. Hels, in IRC chat many years ago there was a Melbourne group called Gay Intellectuals. I used to enjoy going in there and stirring them with intellectual chat and theories about sex. It has been an occasional part of my blog and will continue to be so. Piblic is Kiwi speak for public.

      Delete
  5. I'm wondering if the ground numbers will serve as ID for an eventual helipad on the roof, or perhaps nearby. It came together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River!!!! A helipad!!!!! No thank you. I am not wanting a chopper landing next to my bedroom window.

      Delete
  6. Numbers do look a odd from above but ok on the outside - would think that the fence would be down by now. Can understand if real grass but fake, fence should be pulled down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, yes, the plan must be to give the fake grass to settle in and establish itself.

      Delete
  7. I'm rather anal when it comes to geometric shapes and placement. I prefer things to be parallel, at right angles and centred (not necessarily all at the same time, but it helps).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Victor. Balance is so important.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Fen, even though he is not our dog, I did feel some pride in his action.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous5:36 am

    I'm wondering why you pushed the dog under the fence, was this purposely so that it would foul the fake grass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So he could have a run around off leash.

      Delete
  10. Fake grass is coming up everywhere. Not a fan but at least it won't require watering, which is ultimately better from a water-saving perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, the quality of fake grass has improved a lot......ok, it not like real grass but not a bad substitute.

      Delete