Sunday, June 05, 2016

Sunday Selections

Check River's website for her Sunday Selections, and others join in too. Mine this week are just random shots taken over the last few weeks.

Unlike the closed underground toilet in Russell Street, the above the ground area has been kept at this Queen Street toilet, with the just the below ground filled in.


Some times all of our recycling bins are full to overflowing, but that was not the case this day. It was just an action by someone who does not care. There was plenty of space in other bins. Note on the sign, no plastic bags. There is a separate bin for them. 


So what do people do? Yes, plastic bags aplenty, contaminating the recycling.


I've never noticed this little rose garden at the junction of Raglan and Bay Streets in Port Melbourne. It must look nicer in summer. I have driven past it so many times and not noticed and nor has R.


Harmless place to park a motor scooter? It is not. The scooter prevented a man in an electric wheel chair from passing. No doubt the owner would say, I will/was only be a minute. He or she can have the title of inconsiderate prick of the week. Daniel Bowen has more to say about paths and bike paths being blocked by inconsiderate pricks.


Like a lemming, one car came down Toorak Road the wrong way and another followed it. It is quite amazing how long it takes some people to realise their error. Although they stop at the pedestrian line, they cannot see any traffic light facing them. Don't they wonder why?


For as long as we have lived here I have seen the Friday night hands moving in the office building next when the days are short enough. The hands, I assume not the same ones over the last 14 years, move until about 8pm and then lights go out.


Formerly known as Albert Park Manor, the project has been given the final touches. I kept checking and checking and there was no indication that any were for sale. It seems they were built as rental, including within the old building itself. They are not very grand and the rental price reflects that. 



This one is certainly occupied. I think it has the largest balcony. Most of the apartments in the new part face the street behind.


R and myself have been having some fun with this sticking ball which turned up from somewhere. It is thrown at a smooth surface and it sticks.......for a little while.


Is this for firefighting or controlling the movements of other boats? I think I have seen one used at the beginning of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race.


The Great Moscow Circus visited St Kilda, but did not obtain the proper permits from the council, with one tent far larger than described and another erected in the wrong place.


Murals in St Kilda. I like the second one.



Our trams are so crowded at times I have taken to using buses to get around the city where possible. I was in Carlton and ready to go home. I caught the 207 bus to Queen and Little Collins and the 220 home. I was lucky I did not have to wait long and I think I was home quicker than by using trams. The bus passed the old Russell Street police station, now apartments.


28 comments:

  1. Well, the sticky ball is not something I thought you would find entertaining, but now I'm thinking I must find one at a thrift store and see for myself. The mysterious working hands are intriguing. Are they the hands of a woman or a man? Follow the leader, even down the wrong path. What a life metaphor, as we see here now in America with elections coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are usually male hands, Strayer. Now, we have our own federal elections to worry about, so we are not seeing quite as much of Trumpet as we were.

      Delete
  2. Andrew blue murals cause I feel calm and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, the colour of the sea and the sky, yes relaxing.

      Delete
  3. Great and amusing selections, and yes the scooter driver was inconsiderate no doubt. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy your eclectic mix of photos. Love that mural.
    We had some insects which worked like your sticky ball. The cats thoroughly enjoyed chasing them.
    Yay for the mural.
    And hiss and spit (one of my mantras) at the inconsiderate pricks who block pathways.
    We had a garbage and recycling strike here recently. I am hoping they collect our recycling this week. It is very, very full (and no plastic bags).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, we had something once, a figure of some sort, that would climb down a pane of glass. This building would be in big trouble if there was any sort of rubbish collection strike.

      Delete
  5. Does that mean the circus had to pack up and go home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, the correct permits were issued retrospectively and maybe one tent was moved.

      Delete
  6. Nathan's cousin worked at a place that sorted recycle garbage. Plastic bags are an annoyance but not as bad as used nappies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, that is interesting. Why would anyone imagine soiled disposable nappies would be recyclable.

      Delete
  7. G'day Andrew ... I came over for a visit after seeing you on Merle's blog. Your comment made Mum laugh out loud. She read your last blog and loved it. She can't wait to read more. She reckons you are a real good bloke. Just like me, aye? I hope we can be friends ... Charlie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Charlie. I have just come to grips as to who you are, a dog. They are kind words, so I thank you. So do you have Scottish heritage Charlie? I ask because you use the word aye, but you don't resemble a dog I have seen on a bottle of Scotch.

      Delete
  8. Am loving your " rear window" shots
    Snippets of other people's lives eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed John. The gay guy across the road and his dogs are so familiar to us, I felt like saying hello to him when I saw him on the street.

      Delete
  9. oh yes 'inconsiderate bags and bikes people'. selfish and lazy.
    you miss those roses because you are [sensibly] watching the traffic?
    I guess the people who complain about Public Transport are those who haven't figured out how to USE it scientifically. You have a Masters Degree [Hons.]
    When dear Mr Daniel Bowen goes to God, I hope his mourners give him a tombstone carved like a MYKI.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, it is a bit challenging to drive along Bay Street now. It wasn't always. There used to be tumbleweeds blowing down the street. I am just getting myself ready for old age and hoping once I retire, I will never have to drive again. Maybe after six months of not driving, I might like to give it another go, but unlikely. I expect DB may pop up on an honours list soon. He deserves it.

      Delete
  10. I like the murals and the boats on the water. I hope one day that bike rider is in a mobility scooter and finds his way blocked and I hope he has enough memory left to remember that he once did the same. I get annoyed with supermarket shoppers blocking footpaths (and aisles in shops) when they park their carts facing each other and stop for a long chat.

    I hope the dog on that balcony gets taken down to a park for a run on the grass sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes River, people who do that sort of thing earn karma in their old age. Some people just are not conscious of how they impede other people. Drives me mad. I too hope the dog gets a run. Most people who live here do seem to take their dogs out. It is always nice to see a dog in the lift and chat to the owner.

      Delete
  11. Lots of things there to look at.
    I always like murals in the city they give colour and interest.
    Merle........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Merle, especially in dull areas.

      Delete
  12. Curses for closing the underground toilet in Russell Street. Credit for keeping the above the ground area in the Queen Street toilet, even though the below ground area no longer functions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I think the underground one in Elizabeth Street is still open. That is something at least.

      Delete
  13. A good selection of variety.
    Some people just don't read signs and if they do some are just too lazy with the rubbish.
    I recall that intersection from a previous post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, that intersection is a known problem by me. There are measures that could be put in place to prevent cars driving the wrong the way, but aren't. It is not particularly dangerous, so perhaps that is why.

      Delete
  14. It is interesting how we almost get to know the routines (e.g. The Hands) of those who live/work next to us for so many years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed Keith, but nothing seems to stay forever.

      Delete