Monday, June 20, 2016

Mohawk

In the mid nineties, or was it the eighties, I had a blond mohawk. So far as I know, no photos existed. It did not stick up in a feather pattern. With my ever so smart blond mohawk, we visited Sydney. I wore a kind of nothing green skinhead jacket, that was way too hot for indoors in Sydney and often too hot outdoors in mid winter too. Nevertheless, the look was ok and I picked up, although I that may be mentally rather than physically. I conveniently can't really remember.

Just recently a friend gave me some photos and much to surprise, one was among them was me with a mohawk but it was not blond. Mohawk is an extreme noun. It was actually as the modern fashion is, shaved at the sides and long and wide strip on top. The photo must have been taken late 1990s at The Laird O'Cockpen Hotel in Abbotsford. I believe The Laird is still operating. The photo fascinates me as I look at it critically and dispassionately. The first thing I see is a big nose. I think it is bigger now.

After the photo was taken, I perfected the bit of fuzz below my lower lip to look better. Then one day a very young Firefighting Niece asked why I had it? I went to the bathroom and shaved it off and went back into the lounge room and she did not notice. I never grew it back.

My father used to call me pinhead. I can see why. I have a long neck.

I can see evidence of sun damaged skin. It is worse now.

My eyebrows aren't so good, but they are darkened a little by an eyebrow pencil but not perfectly balanced.

The scar to the right of my right eyebrow is quite evident. When I was young, I ran full speed into some kind of trailer chassis.

Seems like it was a military themed night. When I bought the shirt, I thought it was the Aboriginal flag on the sleeve. Seems it is the German flag. Lordy, what does that mean? I hope it is the current flag and not the old one. My under black tee shirt is askew. Horrid.

I can see crows feet, but with my face fatter now, they are not really so worse.

It is clearly an unstaged photo and I don't remember it being taken. What (more likely who) was I looking at? I was a shocker back then. I would promise with my eyes to guys and once they were were interested, I would then become disinterested (sic). What would Freud make of that? After all, I had R to go home with, although there was the time when a gorgeous young guy came back with us.......too much information, but sadly he died not too many years after.

All in all, it is a cruel and revealing photo but at least I guess my teeth are ok. No, actually they look a bit too bucky. I am to bed now, but will check my teeth in the mirror first.

Oh, you thought I was going to attach the photo. Nah. Maybe I will post it in the future. I like the photo.


20 comments:

  1. This is an excellent tease. And my hypercritical (and hypocritical) self who doesn't and won't post photos of herself would love to see your mohawky self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, it is bit of tame version of the more bigger mohwawk I had, but it was never really extreme. We'll see.

      Delete
  2. Everyone has one or more visions that push their buttons. It may be the sight of someone smoking, or doing drugs or walking around town with their arse hanging out of their jeans.

    For me it is a mohawk, but not on aesthetic grounds. Rather because it seems to symbolise someone rough and beyond the reach of the authorities. A two fingered solute to the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, viewed by me from now, yes that is what it is about. A rejection of every thing that we know makes society works. They may well identify as anarchists, while enjoying the privilege of living in a rich western society. But casting my mind back to those years, it was more about fashion, being daring and getting noticed.

      Delete
  3. I, who shamelessly posts video of myself with no make up and in pajamas, would very much like to see your Mohawk phase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair point Cranky. But we will expose ourselves only as we feel comfortable with.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I did think you were going to post the photo and I will be back here every single day until you do.
    I've seen some spectacular mohawks here in Adelaide, tall, possibly with the aid of some type of hair product, in a range of colours, most often black, but I've seen fluoro green, shocking pink, and one that was three separate blocks of colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, mine was never like that. It sounds like you quite like seeing them. They do stand out in a dreary passing parade.

      Delete
  5. Okay show us the photo and an up to date one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, you will have to make do with these. About nine years ago, https://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2016/03/burrowing-into-past.html
      Two years ago, a little the worse for wear as the drinks were included in the cost of the tour and I took full advantage, https://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/eurocruise-boat-staff.html

      Delete
  6. One of life's pleasures is going through and tearing up photos you never want turning up on Ancestry.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, I don't believe in deleting personal history, unless it is absolutely appalling. Actually, perhaps I should think more about that, especially if I think about Ancestry.com.

      Delete
  7. OMG! What a tease you are Andrew.. I need to see that shot now 😃 Someone told me today that they'd recently seen a photo of moi in a bikini.. blimey that must be an old photo 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I am quite sure you looked ever so luscious in a bikini.

      Delete
  8. Ok how about some photos, I don't know what you look like only seen the one on the blog with a camera in front of your face.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, links are then in my reply to Diane's comment. I have put photos of me on my blog.

      Delete
  9. We expected the photo and now are disappointed after such a description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I was going to include it, but got cold feet, so to speak.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Fen, you know I am not good at deciphering young speak and I am not going to Google.

      Delete