Thursday, June 23, 2016

LED advances

This table lamp sits on a table beside the sofa. Young children just love running their hands through the heavy strands. It was too bright with two frosted fifty watt bulbs of an unusual type. We replaced them with 25 watt bulbs but it was still too bright and annoyingly glaring at you in the corner of your eye. We took two Cling Wrap cylinders, cut lengthway about a third of them away, covered them in silver foil and put them around the glaring bulbs and they have served the purpose for a number of years.



I dispatched R to the lighting shop for new bulbs. They are not cheap; close to $5 each. The sales staff pointed out a new type of bulb, an LED bulb, that will fit the same socket. They will last for a decade, R was told.  R thought we should try them and so bought two. He began to hand over a $10 note to pay, but the cost was over $40 for the two bulbs. He hesitated, then decided at over $20 each, they would probably see him out, and maybe me too, so he bought them.


They are exactly the right strength for the lamp and we are able to do away with our home made cure of foil covered cardboard tubes. Brilliant.



15 comments:

  1. A DIY job that has a happy ending. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite pleased with ourselves, Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen a lamp like that, it's quite pretty, but wouldn't suit my home at all.
    I'd like to switch to LED lighting, but the ceiling fittings would have to be changed I think as they don't yet make LEDs with bayonet fittings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure either. In a couple of our baynott fittings we use halogen, which are a bit cheaper to run.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I have halogen now. Tried the other type, the swirly environmentally friendly type that's supposed to be cheap and last three years. Well they didn't last and always were only bright for the first few months, then they gradually became dimmer. A different brand, actually started out dim when first turned on, then brightened as it warmed up. For me, that's not good enough. I want bright light and I want it straight away.

      Delete
  4. It does look good. And how wonderful when things come together in a positive way like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, but it had taken a long time. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I love this lamp. Imagine it if those beady things were Swarovski crystals! ;) It would be endlessly sparkly..

    I was watching the Home Shopping Network the other day, it is the equivalent of the comedy channel as far as I am concerned, these snooty people trying to fill all this time talking about items they seem to dislike greatly, and there was some outrageously expensive jewelry. There was a ring for $3,999 and a pendant for $4,999. I said to the other half, you should buy me this. He said sure, order two!

    I said, what if I could find the exact same thing in Swarovski crystals for under $100? ;) I am pretty sure I could, if I tried hard enough. So maybe I will get that for my birthday this year..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred,it would look brilliant in crystals. You have planned the seed for your birthday gift. I've seen a few minutes of that shopping channel and it is ghastly.

      Delete
  6. That's an amazing lamp, as is the life of the bulbs.
    Have a good one, Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. We will see if it is true about the bulbs.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely and unusual lamp Andrew. I think LED is definitely the way to go these days.. I think they come in warm and cool, I'm sure you guessed I always go warm :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, except perhaps in a butcher's shop or operating theatre, I too go for warm.

      Delete
  8. If you have Halogen in the ceiling the government will replace all globes for free. This has been on offer for quite some time but I don't have Halogen. I see from my lastest save heat pamphlet said in-ceiling lights let out a terrific amount of warmth unless there's a cover over the fitting in the roof space and Halogen were to blame for a lot of fires starting because of being too close to insulation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that was only downlights, because the main part of the fitting is in the ceiling. Regular light fitting that hang below the ceiling are okay, even with halogen bulbs.

      Delete