Sunday, June 26, 2016

I should have thought this Brexit thing through

My dream that I will never follow up is to live in England or Europe; maybe a Cornish village near the sea, maybe in Brighton, maybe in a Portuguese village or maybe in Vienna or Cologne or Budapest. I had the right before Brexit, even as a multi generation Australian. Let me explain.

R has always maintained his British passport. If he allowed it to expire, as an Australian citizen, he would have no right to live England. He has always kept his options open. I remember his British Passport. I was sturdy and strong cardboard, dark blue, with gold embossed writing. When he renewed the last time, it was much more difficult than conducting the process via the High Commission in Canberra as before. He had to send his old passport and his Australian passport to London, and received in return a Euro passport, a rather cheaper and nastier version of his British passport.

R's Euro passport gives him quick access without queuing in England and Europe but after he used it to travel from Newcastle to Amsterdam, he concluded there was no point, as once quickly through immigration, he had to wait for me with my Australian passport who was in the 'Others' queue. English Immigration has queried him why he does not use it when he last travelled on an Australian passport. He has to point to me and say he is travelling with an Australian friend, and then immigration becomes suspicious.

With me being his partner, we could have lived anywhere in England or an EU country. I don't know what will happen about Euro passports post Brexit, but Ireland remains in the EU and in the fine detail of Irish legislation, if you have an Irish parent of grandparent you can take up an Irish identity and have an EU passport and guess what!!!! One of R's grandmothers was Irish.

So I can dream on about us living in an old cottage in St Ives in Cornwall, or maybe a gorgeous old apartment in Vienna,

20 comments:

  1. Never stop dreaming Andrew! For me it's an apartment in a tree lined street in Paris, but not for the whole year, I wouldn't like to lose the excitement of returning😃 When we lived in Africa and for years here in Perth we kept our British passports up to date, but have let them lapse now. We should be OK though, my mum and dad were both Scots and P's mum a Scot his dad Irish 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, that is why it is a wonderful dream. We think of the ideal and not the practicalities of following through with our dreams. I think Paris is off the agenda for you unless it is just a holiday.

      Delete
  2. I lived two years in Britain and two and a half years in Israel, and could have claimed both passports eventually. Great years that I am probably too old to relive now, but living in Europe again was always my dream too, Andrew.
    Some place warm, Mediterranean and with a language I know or could learn easily. So Hungary is out, on language grounds. And anything north of Milan, because of the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I rather think Prague would suit you very nicely but perhaps the weather is a problem.

      Delete
  3. I live in the U.S. and just barely, for the first time in my life, got to visit England, the Lakes District, last year. I can absolutely understand why one would want to live there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VV, while I haven't been to the Lakes District, I can well imagine your reaction. In spite of the weather, I find England feels to me like a comfortable old shoe.

      Delete
  4. Dream on, Andrew. Love that you are a dreamer. I hope Brexit doesn't turn dreams to nightmares. At least you have the Irish route still open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, we really do live in interesting times. It is ironic that I have no Irish blood whatsoever, that I am aware of.

      Delete
  5. Andrew, I think Brexit won't be a problem for UE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I agree. The almost panic situation is an overreaction.

      Delete
  6. Dreams are a good thing to have. A very good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I am not really a dreamer by nature, but that is one I have.

      Delete
  7. Dreams are often better as dreams.
    I must say I was surprised they voted to leave.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, you can be sure my dream of living elsewhere is a dream, unless I have enough money to buy a nice flat in Tasmania for the summer, but our last few have summers have been quite bearable.

      Delete
  8. I'm thankful I never renewed mine, and sad that the UK has descended into such madness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fen, as an intelligent person, I know you know the chaos is overrated. There are two years of negotiations ahead and nothing at this stage are known, including about holders of Euro Passports.

      Delete
  9. Is Cornwall in Ireland? I thought it was in Wales. Where's my atlas....
    I have my mother's old passport with my baby photo in it, but I don't think I could get anywhere on that.
    I never bothered getting a passport as I planned on always being in Australia. It will be a different matter if I win lotto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes I could live in Wales without R having a Euro passport, but the others I expect won't be an option. I hope you have legitimate status. Our friend's late mother, born to Victorian parents but born in South Africa and her first five years were there went to get a passport and they told her she was not Australian.

      Delete
  10. We have far more questions than answers at the moment but it will sort itself out once the politicians have decided on who is going to take charge of leading the country. Dreams are there to aspire to and hopefully follow. For my recent birthday my daughter bought me a compass engraved with the words 'For Mum who follows her dreams'. I hope I will always be healthy enough to follow a dream. So keep on dreaming Andrew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, it is hard to not think it will be Boris. As I thought, Corbyn was only ever a fill in Opposition Leader and never really electable. His days are numbered and I doubt Labour will put up anyone of significance if Boris runs.

      What a lovely gift from your daughter. She obviously feels pride in what you do, and I must say I admire what you do tremendously. Last night there was a repeat of, mind blank, the tv show where Kevin Mc.... follows the building of unusual and expensive houses. This one was a repeat of the floating house on the island on the Thames. I said to R, I suppose Marie in London walked along there at some point, when you walked the length of the Thames.

      Delete