Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Loving Technology

I received a call from the computer repair company today. This gets a bit techy but I will try to keep it simple. In a desk top computer and like in a lap top and note book computer there is a spinning disk, like a dvd. It is called the hard drive. That is where everything is stored and usually has your operating system. In your phone of tablet, it is a solid state or flash drive. No moving parts.

The failed desk top has two drives, a normal spinning disk hard drive, where everything is stored, and a solid state. Our operating system was stored on the solid state drive, which was good, Switch the computer on and it was up and running in ten seconds and ready to use.

It is supposed to be reputable known brand which I won't name until I have it confirmed by the computer shop. Nevertheless, it has failed after just a few months and that is why the computer would not start up.

I was given two options which came down to one. Pay $99 to just remove the solid state drive and then load Windows 10 onto your spinning hard drive. You will lose everything on your hard drive when Windows is reloaded. The other option, buy a new solid state drive to replace the old and Windows can be loaded on to that and you won't lose anything. Cost, $300. I went for that option.

We have another external hard drive, used as a back up. It is supposed to back up our computer, with everything to be able to retrieved. It was plugged in and the lights flash at times, but I have no idea how you would retrieve your files from and no faith that I could manage that.

There are lessons to be learnt. Don't buy a computer by mail order from another city, in our case Sydney. While the company will honour the warranty and cover the costs, how do you pack up a computer tower to post it? How long will you be without it?  In preparation for connecting to the NBN, we had decided to to change our general email ISP address to web based address, Gmail. I had set up our joint account just the day before the drive failed. We have lived and died with our ISP email, but here is a reason why the paperless office won't happen. While we can access our ISP email now over the net, there are a lot of emails stored there that I don't think we have access to, including all the emails between us and the company we bought the bought the computer from. I don't have a clue who it is. All our bills, banking stuff, so many things come into our ISP email, so it will take quite a bit of changing. While ISP email is great to use, it is caveman stuff.

I am just so depressed about the whole business. Buying a computer by mail order, admittedly with advice from a friend who had done the same and recommended the same to others who did and all was well. I am cross with myself that I have not recently manually backed up. I am cross with myself that I have not taken the time to understand how the automatic back up works. I am cross that I rely on ISP email and not changed to web email much earlier.

I am writing this on a not very old note book computer, maybe four years old and while it is lovely to type on once you fingers get used to the tighter spacing of the keys, this morning when I switched it on, it would not start. It kept trying and at times a message flashed up, 'attempting computer repair', Apparently is repaired itself as after 20 minutes it did come to life. Its battery is buggered and will only work when plugged in to power.

How come my phone and tablet solid state drives are so reliable, but not the one when it is within a proper computer?

21 comments:

  1. I remember you buying that computer not too long back. I have been a convert to Cloud based computing for a while. We are yet to see if the big companies like Google and Apple will change their business models down the track and start to charge us for using the Cloud (once they have amassed all our data), but I don't want to consider ulterior motives and "evil" actions. Good luck getting everything resolved and changed over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, it really does seem to be the way to go, now. While I have much backed up, it would be such a hassle to retrieve it and using the ISP email is the big problem.

      Delete
  2. Sigh. And sadly I would have taken the more expensive option too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, we are just so dependant now.

      Delete
  3. yes, what El Chi said above, and massive sympathy to you. I don't even understand any of that by the way. Despite being computerised since 1987, and having worked 1991 for a software developer during the change to Windows from the old B&W C:/ prompt screen.
    I do know not to knock bump jolt drop move the unit while the drive is spinning.
    and also 'Yes' to Carol "once they have amassed our data".
    Now back to figuring out how to answer a call on my Sony Xperia which remains a mystery into Week 4. sigh. and don't get me started on the damn car. to make the handsfree phone work I had to go to car website and register, then go out to car to get PIN from onboard computer Messages then back indoors to laptop. oh my giddy aunt.
    good luck 2 U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do the instructions not say "how to answer calls"?
      Go back to where you bought it and get them to show you how. Then write it down.

      Delete
    2. Ann, from memory, our phones were not hard to connect. Turn on bluetooth on phone and in the car and the car will find your phone, give a code number or similar to enter, and it should work.

      Failing that, do as River says.

      Delete
  4. You are just so depressed about the whole business? I am with you brother! Just put the words (or worst still initials) Windows 10, NBN, ISP, Tablet, flash drive, GMail etc in one paragraph and my eyes glaze over :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, does that mean I know more about such things than I thought I did?

      Delete
  5. I'm confused. Remove your solid state hard drive and lose information when Windows is loaded to the spinning drive.
    Replace the solid state hard drive and reload windows and all your information is there.
    You can't replace the solid state hard drive without removing the old one. Which causes loss of info. So how does it work that all your info is still there when a brand new solid state hard drive is installed? Because the info is on the old one which is now removed....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, there are two separate drives. The operating system is on the solid state one, and everything else is on the spinning hard drive...I hope.

      Delete
    2. And, I did not really think anyone would understand what I wrote.

      Delete
  6. It all sounds like a frustrating mess to me. Good luck in getting it sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel your pain, a million times over. I back up on thumb drives. I know how to use those! Long ago, I refused any ISP email for the very reasons you are experiencing. At the time I had dial up, with such an erratic connection, I could not count on anything. I can't believe with a failure a few months after purchase, it is not under complete warranty for fixing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, it is under fully warranty and the company where we bought it would pay shipping costs, but we would be without it for so long.

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry, Andrew. Technology is great when everything works, when it doesn't.......urggggg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, indeed. And we are just so dependant on it.

      Delete
  9. Three steps forward and two steps back with every advancement in technology.

    Nonetheless I wouldn't ask the advancement to stop. The things we can do nowadays that we wouldn't even have dreamt about in our youth are simply amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Victor, and we can take and leave the things we find useful or not. I need to remember what we can now do with computers compared to back in 1996. R is donating his old phone to a charity and when I removed the storage card, I said to him, do you realise this 2GB card can hold the same amount of information as our first computer did.

      Delete
  10. Oh how horrible that all sounds Andrew. Before I say more I'm going up to read your today's post because I see there is more info, I just wanted you to know I have read and sympathize, big hugs stay calm.. if humanly possible:)

    ReplyDelete