Saturday, June 25, 2016

Fritzed PC

As of last Wednesday the desktop pc is broken. Only a few months old, it is under warrSanty, but sending it to Sydney? Although our own computer man moved from Balaclava to St Kilda and then to Moorabbin and we followed him, he has now shut up shop.  He would have fixed the problem in a few minutes.  Instead it is at a professional repair place for a few days. The issue is that it would only boot to the bios screen. I could have fixed that with old Windows versions. Windows 10, I don't have a clue.
 
I don't have access to photos as recent photos are on the desk top so I will just rant a bit in the last post for a few days.

So much crap is happening with our friends.  You would think by the age of sixty plus, such rubbish would not happen.

It is rare that I finish late at work but on the very night we were going to see Sound of Music, I finished at work unavoidably late. The traffic home was hideous too and instead of being in a nice relaxed mood, I was mega stressed, as was R by me being late. 6:53, car swap, 6:54, inside. 6:57, changed clothes, 6:58 looked at not working computer bios screen 7:05 hop on tram to town, 7:17 meet theatre friends, 7:22 find a quiet corner to eat half the curried egg sandwich R had made for me as a substitute for dinner, 7:25 collect a glass of wine from R, hold it with two hands and my hands are going ninety to the dozen, 7:30 seated at the wonderful Regent Theatre for quite a good show. 

Cameron Daddo played Captain Von Trapp and I found him disappointing. The children were excellent. I've forgotten her title and I don't know her name, but the head of the abbey stole the show. She is a brilliant singer. The person who played Maria was ok. I must say, how many great songs were in Sound of Music, and a little brag that we visited Salzburg and received a commentary about the movie a few years ago.

I have been replying to comments using the note book, what has a battery so failed that it will not work without being plugged in, and swyping on tablet. So tedious, so see you in few days.


27 comments:

  1. I used to have a huge crush on Cameron Daddo. Actually, come to think of it, I had a crush on all of the Daddos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, I too used to like them, although now I can't remember which one is which, but I know where to check, http://highriser.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/a-daddo-here-daddo-there-see-daddos.html

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed the production when it played in Sydney. I imagine we had the same Mother Abbess and I totally agree with your comment about her performance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, it has been there already. No doubt you wrote about seeing it. Yes, Mother Abbess, Jacqueline Dark it seems.

      Delete
    2. Jacqueline Dark is a real opera singer. She is now in Sound of Music because Opera Australia has downsized so much under Lyndon Terracini that there wasn't a job for her any more. Glad you enjoyed her performance: she is a trouper.

      The headline last December for the SMH's review of this production was "How do you solve a problem like Cameron Daddo?"

      Delete
    3. Thanks Marcellous. I thought JD was a cut above. I did not know about Daddo being criticised. It seems they did not address the problem and well down the track, nothing has changed. I think is simply the wrong person for the role.

      Delete
  3. Sigh on the PC front. I got all Daddoed out quite some time ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, they have been around a long time.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to read about your computer woes, hope they're soon mended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranky, you had your own computer woes recently. My turn now.

      Delete
  5. "So you were up early at 5 AM , Must have been that Curried Egg Sandwich".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Vest. It is just the time I set for the post to be published. But actually, I was up at 5 AM last week.

      Delete
  6. I hope that it is a quick fix...thank goodness for warranties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Keith, as I wrote, we are not making a warranty claim as it would involve sending the computer to Sydney, 1000 kms away. Although we had plenty of documentation, it is all on the broken computer.

      Delete
  7. Hope the computer is a quick fix and doesn't cost too much. Am I right thinking you have to pay if it is under warranty and being fixed by a different company?
    Glad you still got to the theatre in time after such a rushed after work time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, yes, we will have to pay. While I think the company we bought it from would pay the cost, as above the details are on the broken computer, the bother of packing it up and goodness knows how long we would be without it, seemed impractical. There are people who come to your home and fix your pc for no matter how long it takes for about $100. I rather I wish I had gone down that path. It has already cost $44, but that will come off the final repair bill.

      Delete
    2. I had a PC doctor come to my place where I lived previously, to help with my old Asus. I don't remember now why I called him out, but he wasn't able to help much so didn't charge me.

      Delete
  8. Enough to stress anyone. keep cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try Diane. I am a type A personality hidden behind a type B.

      Delete
  9. Computer problems they are like the rain just about everywhere.
    Going to see a live musical it been years they are good I miss them once went a lot, a friend of my daughters was a performer in different ones and we often went to see him.
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, it is always an effort to go out like that, but worth it. You should plan to see one show each year.

      Delete
  10. Have to say I've been happy with this lap top. Had for almost three years. It was 2nd cheapest on at Wal Mart (Not fan of Walmart but couldn't pass up a bargain)
    Haven't seen "Sound of Music" and Julie Andrews was in it.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dora, maybe it is quite a simple lap top without too much that can go wrong. S of M is not my favourite musical, but there are some great and memorable songs in it.

      Delete
  11. 'Tis a nuisance and a inconvenience when you don't have a computer. Hope it's fixed real soon.
    Pity abut the Sound of Music as it's a good musical which I was once in long ago at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, what fun. What role did you play?

      Delete
  12. OMG Andrew I would either be having a mad panic OR.. switching the whole thing off and enjoying some quality reading time 😃 Stay calm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, I told R earlier that in the unlikely!!!! event I should be late, he should just go leave my ticket at the desk. While it did not get to that stage, it came close and I won't be doing that again.

      Delete