Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Fagging

Written a while ago and as I have written nothing for today, more on vices.

There is a dead end lane near my workplace. It has high fences both sides and rear. Err, I guess that is what is dead end lane is.

It is where bad boys gather, that is where students from the local Catholic private school gather to smoke. It really is a blast from the past, the secretive smoking of schoolboys, yet in spite of them knowing full well how bad smoking is for their health, and bad for pocket money generous allowances too, it is kind of nice to see boys behaving badly. When I was a teen, such a thing was the norm by the majority. Now it seems that all that an expensive private school can produce is half a dozen bad boys who smoke but are not planning to bring down the establishment.  I am not killjoy for whatever kiddie youf choose to do, so long as it doesn't effect others, so if I happen to see a teacher stalking the boys from a distance, I will alert them. I was once one of them.

I'd be very disappointed to learn that teachers no longer try to find smoking schoolboys. It was a mark of pride for the smoke sniffing teacher to smell smoke on you but never be able to catch you. 'Sir, why have the ends of two fingers of Bill Barry's hand turned yellow?'. That was a joke from a fellow smoker of the clan.

Sadder but true, the real smoking dobber in the class was the The Professor. He was very intelligent, very short and very stout and I learnt a couple of years ago that he suicided when in his twenties. Maybe a bit of fagging on a ciggie might have helped him. Back then, had he have joined us to smoke, he might have felt more accepted and that is what smoking school boys or even later drinking school boys were all about. It was acceptance for many, myself included.

If you had gay inclinations, even if you did not really understand at that age, and no sporting prowess, it was pretty well the only way to gain acceptance, as long as you did not hold your cigarette in a girlie manner. Being clever and studious would never cut the mustard. Later, being pro Mao Tse Tung and a reader of Mao's Little Red Book might have earnt some respect, but you would have been seen as exotically weird. This should go into a piece about the ten weird things about myself, but I once sat on top of my wardrobe chanting Hari Rama. I was very impressionable and lucky no nutter got hold of me.

19 comments:

  1. Smoking has kept me out of a lot of trouble, it's an aid to meditation. And a consolation. A comfort, in fact. A professor at the Royal Melbourne told me to stop it, then he gave me a little talk about reincarnation. Truly. He's a Hindu, a giggling Hindu. Full of joy.
    Little Fen's blog has been stone dead since I put a comment on it. I don't know if she's disgusted or depressed. I'd hope it's the former, disgust is a good sign. For mental health, I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RH, so it was you who killed Fen's blog. Fen is not so little and I am surprised that you resort to such a cheap word like that.

      Delete
  2. Fen's decided to FaceBook so falls another blogger.

    I've never liked smoking but my sister has smoked since she was 17 but now she uses one of the vapor things because it's cheaper.

    And Andrew, sitting on top of your wardrobe and chanting means you were smoking something less legal than tobacco.

    Ten weird things about myself would make a very good meme and we haven't had a good meme in ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh, I was just a kid, maybe 13, when I chanted. I agree. Ten weird things about you first.

      Delete
  3. Many young ones smoke as you well know.
    I think they must get a kick out of sneaking in a fag every now and then to see if they can get away with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I see it as a mini rebellion against society now. The smoking young ones stand out, but really, not many do now, a good thing.

      Delete
  4. I remember a teacher who was determined to catch people smoking. She decided that the toilets were the place (eeeuw) and would ensconce herself in a cubicle and wait. Her shoes were a dead giveaway. There were some among us (smokers and non-smokers) who would strike a match to watch her leap out...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smoking is a fashion among teend forbidden stuff is the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, ever so true. Ban it, and people will chase it.

      Delete
  6. You sat on top of your wardrobe chanting Hari Rama?
    I don't know what Hari Rama is, but I know that wardrobes in our house were so tall nothing would fit up there but a lying down suitcase or a couple of shoe boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, our ceilings were high and our cheap wardrobes were low.

      Delete
  7. In my school days the smokers tended to find dark corners of the toilet for their illicit inhaling.

    Even at that tender age I already felt a different thrill from my time spent in the school toilet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, no wonder you burnt out at a young age. At times I wonder if there is anyone worse than me, and then you write a brief comment.

      Delete
  8. Why do you say I'm using a cheap word? It's merely how I see her, no insult intended. On the contrary, it's an endearment, based mainly on photos she posted of herself as a child. I'm surprised at your occasional wrath, so inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was never interested in the smoking thing Andrew, but I certainly did the chanting :) ommmmmmmmmmm! I might get back to that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, you'd make a good Edina in Ab Fab.

      Delete
  10. Ah how the children try to fit into a niche of any kind when at school. I never fit anywhere, and went to strange religious schools, highly regulated by religiously self-righteous nutcases. There was no fitting in or acting out there. We were to be little marchers in lines for Jesus. So I too enjoy seeing children who step out of the lines, who question, disobey, and are not quick to jump to authority without an actual reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, of course that does not make them bad children, just questioning ones and they are type, unlike my conformist self, who may change the world, hopefully for the better.

      Delete