Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Check your eggs

Err, no women folk, I am not referring to anything personal.

It took a while for it to work for me, but I suspect it was operator error. There is an app you can download to your phone and you point your phone to a carton of eggs in the supermarket or elsewhere and the app will tell you if they are cage eggs, barn laid eggs or free range eggs, and then the hen stocking density of the egg producer. The former information is usually on the carton but the latter, although legislated for, will not arrive for a time. 10,000 chickens per hectare of land is not free range in my opinion, and that is what our Coles supermarket free range eggs scanned as. We won't buy them again.

While there was media story, probably a beat up, that there is a shortage of free range eggs, there was no shortage today at Prahran Market, naturally at a premium price, as most things are at Prahran Market.

The app was developed under the auspices of the consumer organisation Choice and is called Cluck AR if you are interested in downloading it to your phone.


17 comments:

  1. OMG that is great! The majority of these poor fowls have a horrendous life and it's simply inexcusable that we the 'superior race', treat any creature the way so many chickens are treated. It always does my heart good to see free range chickens.
    Free app?
    Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, this really is a consumer push to have more free range eggs. Even some cafes now use them, and you pay accordingly. Yes, the app is free. Not sure that it work for you though.

      Delete
  2. At our local Woolies NOT one of the 'free-range' eggs marketed that way passed Choice's test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, that is poor and in a way misleading as stocking densities of 10,000 per hectare is not what people imagine free range to be.

      Delete
  3. My Kangaroo Island eggs didn't quite make the chicken quota for ranging but it is an island and the little cluckers do eat fresh grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I should not read so fast Jah Teh. I misread cluckers. I'm sure the KI eggs will come from very happy, albeit windblown, chooks.

      Delete
  4. We get our eggs from my two legged sister. Her chooks have a great life. They even have names. All 10 of them and they have free range of 10 acres including inside the house. Could you keep chooks in a high rise?? You could always take them for walkies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie, they are usually the tastiest eggs. No chooks in The Highrise. The Body Corporate would explode.

      Delete
  5. I remember your previous post on this subject where I stated that I buy MacLean's Run eggs and they have only 1500 chickens per hectare. Lo and behold, the very next shopping day, no more MacLean's Run eggs at Woolies, deleted from their range. So I went to Foodland who also don't stock them, but do have Kangaroo Island eggs, so second best will have to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I must keep a look out for these Kangaroo Island eggs. It is so annoying when products disappear from shelves but you know they are still being made.

      Delete
  6. Is that a joke ?? Never heard of such a thing !
    I am back from Turkey and still don't get your comments in my mail, :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all a joke, Gattina. It eventually worked and displayed the details about the eggs. I know you have left the land of sunshine and hopefully returned to a land of sunshine. Mr G didn't authorise any trees to be chopped down this time in your absence?

      Delete
  7. Andreww I did it with my dauther using Iphone and it works

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, I am very impressed.

      Delete
  8. I am lucky that a woman I helped with cats now brings me eggs when I need some from her flock of free rangers. It's quite interesting now that many berry farmers let chickens free range their berry fields to control the bugs whilst their poop fertilizes the crop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, that sounds like a great idea. Good thinking by farmers.

      Delete
    2. Permaculture at work there.

      Delete