Friday, May 06, 2016

We've been SMEGed

The nice man in our Myer department store gave us $40 off because we bought both the toaster and kettle, plus a $20 gift card, valid for a month but only on selected items, mostly women's clothing but Vue household ware was included so we bought some badly needed tea towels. Naturally we had to add to the voucher, but not much. We had not intention of buying them this day, but we found ourselves on the 5th floor and so close to small appliances. We had some heavy things to carry home on the tram but in spite of my urging, R would not leave the small appliances area, so we did not buy the heavy bulk fabric softener or window cleaner.

The toaster went to where the old toaster sat, next the hotplates where the black coffee canister is and the kettle in the corner, as the old one. While I was happy with the products. something wasn't quite right. R fixed it when he did the housework and moved them and now things seem much more balanced, and guess what? The kettle boils water just the like the old one and the toaster toasts just like the old one. We have made our kitchen minimalist with benches cleared of rubbish and everything removed from the fridge door. The tea canister, biscuit jar and the food processor are away.


27 comments:

  1. They look perfect 🍞☕️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty happy with them Carol, thanks.

      Delete
  2. Andrew perfect and tidy kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, it is how we like it.

      Delete
  3. Stylish and lovely.
    And how I would love to clear the clutter from our benchtops. I DO clear the clutter from our benchtops, but it returns...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I am the odd ball in the family with such lack of clutter. Luckily R is the same.

      Delete
  4. Nice touch of colour.
    No clutter on the benchtops never happens here.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Merle, no clutter at all at your place. We are all different.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous8:45 am

    Hmmm I know plenty of young men who'd love to have a gift card and sweep through the women's clothing section of Myers. Don't you? - Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, I certainly used to, but not now.

      Delete
  6. My kitchen is also minimalist because there is a little voice in the back of my brain saying "this is your grandma. Make me proud" :)

    But seriously, I am so glad you have made your kitchen minimalist with benches cleared of rubbish and just the occasional flash of colour. Minimalism in food areas is a] healthier and easier to clean and b] aesthetically pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, it certainly makes cleaning a lot easier and, with the new kitchen that does not have black granite to polish, really much easier.

      Delete
  7. Certainly a lot less cluttered than my bench space. If I had a place to put things out of view, I would for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reduce River, reduce.

      Delete
    2. I could throw out the food....

      Delete
  8. Toaster and kettle/jug look good, like the colour.
    I don't care to have 'thing's on my bench or fridge. I prefer the clean look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, cleaner sounds much nicer the minimalist. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your SMEG-ging! ;) Way better than an EG-ging, lol..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the subtle touch of colour and the tidiness of your benches (counters).

    After years and years of clutter and mess, it's rather nice being somewhere tidy. Mom is a great deal fonder of her knick knacks than I, but that's better than hydraulic jacks in the middle of the living room floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranky, I am sure it is. So you will be with your mother for a while?

      Delete
  11. Oh they are sooo pretty Andrew, j'adore the pastel colour. I have definitely gone down the minimalist road since painting throughout the house but I do like the toaster, the kettle, the Nespresso machine, a bowl of fruit and a vase of flowers on the kitchen bench :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. We are without the Nespresso machine, the flowers either on the bench if short or a side table if they are tall and the fruit sits on the dining table, so just different arrangements of the same stuff.

      Delete
  12. ooh I do like the colour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it needed that little lift, I think.

      Delete