Sunday, May 01, 2016

The Kitchen Finish

After spending around $10,000 on our kitchen, it will only cost $380 to finish it off to our satisfaction. Shouldn't we spend the money and make us happy?

Well, maybe. What will cost $380 is a kettle and toaster, replacing our $20 each models. How can we possibly justify spending $380 on a kettle and a toaster when our $20 models do the job and aren't broken. You just watch me:

Mother needs a new kettle and toaster and will get our old ones.

I did not buy R a birthday present in March and I am prepared to contribute two thirds of the cost.

We have no needy family to leave money too. The only issue is balancing spending against how long we will live. As R is fond of saying, shrouds don't have pockets.

While Italy dumps canned tomatoes in Australia at below the cost of production, it is still a needy European economy and its complicated train system needs fixing.

The retro styling will suit our kitchen well.

Our toaster will not take large bread or crumpets.

There is a good chance they will be good appliances. They'd better be for that price.

We are of the age where we are spending money on 'things that will see us out'. 

F*** it, we just really want them.

Interestingly, no matter which retailer I have looked at, and that is many, they are always the same price. I may be able to bargain a store down a bit by buying both the kettle and the toaster, but Smeg seems to have very firm prices on small appliances.



29 comments:

  1. Now you have fantastic kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Gosia, but should we spend so much money on a toaster and kettle?

      Delete
  2. Yes becauae we live only oncw I have spent a lor od mobey for kitchen furniture

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for the matching fridge too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, it may have changed but some years ago I saw the Smeg fridge and I really did not like its rounded styling. Our fridge is only eight years old.

      Delete
  4. I had never heard of Smeg before this morning when I saw a full page ad for their products in the paper. Yet clearly, the Italian company called Smeg is doing very well in Australia.

    You are trend setters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, quite a coincidence. Were small appliances discounted in the ad?

      Delete
  5. Go for it. I would have qualms about it, but would revel in the new toys when/if I finally took the plunge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, we have been thinking about new ones for so long, well before the new kitchen.

      Delete
  6. Did I miss the pictures of the finished kitchen.
    Merle.........

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went back and checked it out, turned out well lovely and clean brand new kitchen nothing beats it, buy the kettle and toaster you like, lovely colour by the way.
    Merle........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very happy with the kitchen, Merle.

      Delete
  8. Get them, you know you want to...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranky, I expect we will.

      Delete
  9. Very stylish. I had a SMEG cooker/oven combo for a couple of years now and am very happy with it. And to think it cost just over twice what you're paying for a toaster and kettle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should read, "I've had a SMEG..." I shouldn't comment so early in the morning. ;)

      Delete
    2. Walt, your stove sounds quite cheap. It had slipped my mind, but I remember you buying a new stove.

      Delete
  10. Buy what you want, we don't live forever and we can't take it with us.
    Looks ok that brand, toaster is like ours.
    Are you choosing that colour you have showed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, yes, that colour. I think there is a pink, a cream and maybe another colour.

      Delete
  11. Go ahead and spoil yourselves, if I could afford it, my toaster would be a prettier one too. I probably wouldn't pay that much, but I would get one that takes crumpets. The griller takes far too long to heat up, just not worth it for two crumpets.
    I'm pretty sure the other Smeg colour is red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite correct River. The other colour is red. I appreciate your support.

      Delete
  12. They're awesome, get them! You don't have to justify a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's only money Andrew. You have earned it so go ahead and spend it without the guilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, only money? Sounds familiar to my ears.

      Delete
  14. You'll have to buy them, they're the colour of your eyes...and probably your face after drinking all that plonk in Perth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah Teh. We have bought them. My eyes are not green, and nor are my gills.

      Delete
  15. I hope you've bought them by now Andrew! If they're going to sit out on your new counter I say go for it, the visual pleasure will give you a thrill every time you walk into the kitchen.. It's like icing on the cake oui!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have bought them, Grace. Icing on the cake describes them well.

      Delete