Monday, May 16, 2016

Sunday morning excitation

I rose at 6.30 Sunday morning and noticed a party seemed to be happening at an apartment across the road. Only once or twice have I partied to such an hour. Fancy partying to dawn. Then the penny dropped, Eurovision. The party had probably not long started. Australia's entrant, Dami Im, is a very accomplished performer but she was up against the best in Europe. I glanced up from the computer every so often to see the performers. And then the voting began. Photo from AAP.


Wow! The jury votes from each country started coming in, read by I guess a famous person from the respective countries. Once again our own Lee Lin Chin was successfully extracted from a Surry Hills bar and her beer and shoved in front of the camera and in a very cozy reciprocal agreement, the Australian jury awarded its top points to Belgium, who returned the favour. This was gripping tv. I had left the computer and was sitting with my muscles tense and full of annnn ticcccccipation. Australian was scoring extraordinary well with the jury votes and with a healthy lead at the conclusion of the jury votes.


Thanks Sweden. Graham Norton who hosted the BBC coverage queried why Australia would be in Eurovision, a fair point. But if we shouldn't be there, neither should Israel.

The hosts were very good and I thought our own Sam Pang and Julia Zemiro were much better this year than last.


Could we possibly do it? 


Poland was the next out, and then sadly us. Damn and botheration. Russia was pipped at the post by the winner, Ukraine.


It had been an extraordinary last hour. What a production with only very occasional glitches in a monstrous undertaking and ultimately it was just a brilliant production.

R slept on and I suggested that he record the repeat that night and watch at least the last hour. Later I pondering the possible political implications of Ukraine beating Russia and next year's Eurovision being hosted by Ukraine.

26 comments:

  1. Andreww Eurovision is the strange contest in my opinion. Thr rules are not fair for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosai, sour grapes because Poland didn't win? You are right. I don't think fairness really comes into the equation.

      Delete
  2. Andrew, It actually looked like Australia were going to romp home as the outright clear winners. That was until this new popular public vote suddenly appeared from nowhere.
    Just goes to show how the International judges votes don't tally with the general public's vote.
    Not sure if I like this new voting system. It would seem that the winning song from Ukraine broke the competition rules with it's clear political message within the song.
    But I'm a glutton for punishment and always end up watching this annual musical horror show just to confirm that it gets worse every year.

    There was a hilarious Hollywood style musical opening the other night during the sem- finals. It was totally out of character for Eurovision. And I later found out why this came about. Apparently they were beaming the show to the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee John, in my head I knew we could not win. That would upset the applecart far too much in Europe. I missed that semi final opening and I don't have the will to find it now. It is a lavish and wonderful stage show, but I for one don't take it too seriously. I just go along for the thrill of the ride.

      Delete
  3. I think she is quite wonderful and a nice person to boot but why were we there we are not part of Europe, someone on my twitter account said wait till USA enters but unless they are throwing it open to the world I think it should be European countries only, and I didn't know Russia was part of it or that you were not allowed to make political statements in your songs.
    Merle................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, I did not know you tweet! I did know about the politics rule and isn't Russia part of the European continent?

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:01 am

    Apart from Eurovision being one of the silliest contests in the world, I have to agree with Merle. Why is Australia there? Just because we watch it on TV? No wonder you can't take it seriously. - Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, who said we need to take it seriously? It is pure highly polished entertainment.

      Delete
  5. I watched her performance on You Tube and her press conference. She is very well spoken. Any country can be a member of Eurovision and therefore enter the song contest. So what if Australia is part of it ~ good publicity for our tourism industry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, you are are quite right in that it does us no harm, in fact undoubtedly is positive for Australia. But I really think Eurovision should be about European countries.

      Delete
  6. Israel is part of most European organisations, being a nextdoor neighbour of all the other European Mediterranean nations like Lebanon, Cyprus and Greece.

    Armenia, Azerbaijan and other Caucasus Mountain nations are a VERY long way from Israel, Cyprus, Greece etc and are less obviously European.

    Australia's participation is too silly for words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, while my geographic knowledge is not too bad even if I don't have a clue where San Marino is, I agree that any country south east of Greece should not be admitted. Yes, Australia too..........well unless we a little bit special and enthusiastic about Eurovision.

      Delete
  7. I haven't seen the Eurovision since Sandie Shaw was on it and I didn't see all of it even then. I don't remember how long ago that was. It just isn't the sort of thing I watch. I did hear a lot about it the year Abba won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, omg, Sandie Shaw. Odd that I have no memory of when Abba won Eurovision.

      Delete
  8. I watched on Twitter the results. How exciting Australia came second and our population so much smaller than all of Europe's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, indeed once again we punch above our weight. A cynic might say we import our talent though.

      Delete
  9. She did well. I watched the end bit and fast forwarded through all the boring rubbish. I find it odd for Australia to be there. It was exciting at the very end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, agree with all you say, but it was such gripping tv at the end.

      Delete
  10. There really shouldn't be any political repercussions should there but as in sport, politics seems to have seeped into the cracks! Dami was fabulous, blimey she has a set of pipes on her :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, politics is just unavoidable, especially when there is tension between countries. Dami seems like a nice person too.

      Delete
  11. That is awesome Russia was beaten by Ukraine. Righteous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ain't going there, Strayer.

      Delete
  12. I missed most of Eurovision this year, terrible of me as I love it. But I was, ahem, busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed all of it Fen, apart from a glance when out at the semi final and seeing the final. I did not know it had started. I will do better next year.

      Delete
  13. I turned on only for the final scoring and I think that portion was superbly done with the suspense level high; although had Australia not been involved I would more like have been interested rather than in suspense.

    Dami did very well and so did Australia in its two participation (this year and last).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, I agree about the voting, although there are accusations that the organisers adjust the public vote to suit there purposes.

      Delete