Sunday, May 01, 2016

Perth Day 1 & 2 Part 2

As we wandered along Hay Street Mall, we found some rather good arcades.



 What is that in the distance?


Hey hey, it is Dick Whittington and Puss in Boots.


This arcade was quite beautiful.



We lunched at a nice enough place on the corner of a modern arcade and the arcade was busy. Where are the people going to or from in the arcade? We investigated. They were going to and from Wolf Lane.





We are now on Murray Street, tick to knowing another street, and at the old telephone exchange.


We went back to hotel on foot. It was not late in the day and we took the time for some rest. That means R having a nap and me on the internet.  The street we were staying in, on the edge of CBD is called Mount Street. I never really thought why it would be called Mount Street. It was quite obvious when we took an evening stroll. It is a steep street that leads up to Kings Park. R was grateful for my frequent photo stops. Mount Street is mostly medium rise apartment blocks having replacing grand old houses, but a few of the old remain.




Down this cul-de-sac is Jacobs Ladder, leading down to the river, but the steps are closed for repair.



 Perth is half the size of Melbourne or Sydney, yet it has its own traffic issues.


Minimalist and I like it.


Property prices in desirable areas are similar to Melbourne. 


There are terrific city views from Kings Park.


 Memorial for the Perth victims of the 2002 Bali bombing.



I saw her mug from a long way away and immediately recognised the grumpy visage of Queen Victoria.



If you don't know, this is a Frangipani and the scent is divine.
 

In the evening we dined at Durty Nelly's Irish pub. It was cheap steak night and our steaks melted in our mouths and were so cheap. But what? You can't wear your flannie to a pub?


We were lucky that it was cheap steak night, and very nice the steak was too.



Best head in town? I take that as a personal slight.



One for Gattina. 'I'll have a Stella', is often heard from the mouth of an Australian.

23 comments:

  1. andrew nice photos and really interesting arcades

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aussie humour at its best with the Soup of the Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, and it was not a downmarket place either.

      Delete
  3. Frangipani? *swoon* One of my faves and I can still smell it... will have to see if it will grow here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, woohoo!

      Delete
    2. Cranky, I only recently learnt it comes in other colours, but I like white the best.

      Delete
  4. Oooo....I missed the arcades. I need to get away from Myer and explore a bit more on my domestic holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, laneway culture, which we know all about and perhaps think it is a bit of a joke.

      Delete
  5. Durty Nelly's sounds like the place to be at dinnertime in Perth. I'll make a note of it and let my brother know, he loves a good steak.
    The arcades are lovely, why was Wolf Lane so popular? Because of the Secret Garden Cafe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I expect your brother will know of the pub. I am not sure about Wolf Lane and why people were using it. Certainly not the cafe. I guess it was a path to and from somewhere.

      Delete
  6. Well it's surprising, I always love a arcade or two you never know what at the end or half way down for that matter.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merle, yes, arcades are often very nice and can have surprising shops.

      Delete
  7. Never mind the pub, couldn't you have made a bit more of an effort to photograph that jeweller's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jah The, what jeweller? Ah, ok. I am not obsessed with bling like some.

      Delete
  8. It's clean in those arcades.
    I paid $38.00 for eye fillet on Friday night for dinner - that wasn't too bad a price. Wondering what you call cheap?
    Haven't been in the city but have driven on the bridge across the Swan River towards Margaret River.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, the whole of Perth is spotlessly clean. More on that later. It was a T Bone, not our usual choice of steak but it was very nice and it was either $15 or $18. I can't remember. The pepper sauce was excellent. Yes, of course you would have gone through Perth when you circumnavigated our great land.

      Delete
  9. Super series of shots Andrew, that wee camera of yours certainly does the job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. I don't mind spending a bit on a point and shoot and it is not a bad camera at all and any issues with photos is clearly operator error.

      Delete
  10. Looks to be a grand city, beautiful too, as seen from your overlook photo. Pity that Jacob's Ladder was closed but my one knee is not good and might hurt just to see a photo of stairs. so your steaks were cheap and delicious at Dirty Nelly's eh? Be bad if they'd been costly and tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, Perth was a real surprise to me. We slowly climbed 240 stairs in Malaysia a few years ago and there is about the same number here, so I would not be doing it.

      Delete
  11. I am just catching up with your trip to Perth ! Scrolling through all posts ! So Stella made it to Australia too ! I think it is all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, it probably is all over the world. It is quite nice beer. Top of the tree here now is the Japanese beer Asahi.

      Delete