Monday, May 09, 2016

Oops, forgotten post

I have nothing ready to post today and when skimming through drafts, I found this unedited and unfinished post which obviously should have published before the holiday posts.

$1000 each for an eight night holiday to Perth with decent accommodation was irresistible. Of course you only get such bargains if you book early and we did. We have done every which way of getting to Melbourne Airport, but with parking at half price for booking early, we chose that option. We took the old Hyundai in case the newer car was attractive to thiefs. Besides, it will do the old beast good to travel at 100 km/h on the freeway to the airport instead of its usual 40 km/h. Roadworks, 100 km/h, in your dreams.

The free bus from the long term carpark picked us up quickly, but oh, the engine noise of the el cheapo bus and the crass commercial radio station noise blasting into our ears was awful.

We had web checked in at home and printed our boarding passes, but they would not work at the self scanning check in facility. Then I remembered, we paid extra to have emergency row seats where we had to assist if there was a disaster. We had to be manually checked in so that staff could see that we were hale and hearty and able to help in the case of an emergency. R is tall and needs the extra leg room that the exit row offers.

I, having the appearance of a Moslem terrorist, was scanned for explosive residue as we passed through security. I learnt the hard way back in 1983 that when travelling by plane to keep your gob shut and not be lippy when dealing with airlines and airport security.

The flight passed quickly enough, with me listening to a few podcasts, finishing a Kindle book. The wine was nice, as was the cheese and biscuits, the dried fruit and the banana bread I ordered.

I had checked options to get to our hotel from the airport and a taxi was our preferred option and it cost exactly what was suggested by the internet taxi app, $24.

R became very cross at our hotel desk check in because we could not have separate beds. We had emailed in advance. Apparently only the cheap seats have separate beds. For the first night I slept on the couch but eventually at about 5 am I moved to the bed. I was surprised. The bed was spacious and firm and I could sleep there. Earplugs stopped me hearing R snore and disturbing my sleep. Of course I don't snore/move/fart/roll around in bed. We quickly adjusted to the norm of me waking at about 6:30 and R at 8:00 or later and once awake, I would take my sheet, pillow and tablet to the couch.

With little knowledge of Perth city, we set off upon arrival to the Coles Express supermarket. It was a long walk and a long walk back, but we returned with cereal, crumpets, bread, jam, nibbles, Vegemite and milk. Well in advance I had googled Vintage Cellars to ensure a supply of wine and whiskey.

While me imagined a nice meal at a fine restaurant for our first night in Perth, we were whacked and when when R said sorry sweetie, do you mind if our dinner is crumpets at home, I readily agreed.

In spite of lack of a twin beds, we had two views from our studio of Perth's Swan River.  The studio was scrupulously  clean


29 comments:

  1. Sounds like you got a lot for your money, the whole trip and did well. I haven't heard of Vegemite for so long, not since the Men at Work song, Down Under. I've never seen Vegemite in a store or I would try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you should ever find it, remember vegemite is a savoury spread and should be spread thinly until one gets used to the taste. Too many Americans spread it thickly like jam or peanut butter and it's a real shock to the tastebuds.

      Delete
    2. Strayer, I think a taste for Vegemite has to be transferred from mother to baby before birth. Most people who taste it as an adult don't like it. There are You Tube videos proving the point.

      River, yes, as much as I love Vegemite, a little is all I use.

      Delete
    3. My mum hated vegemite, you don't get it in Germany where she grew up, but didn't mind buying the 7pound (weight) tins for me and my brother to go through as kids. The rest of the family ate liverwurst, ugh.

      Delete
    4. I wonder where your taste for Vegemite came from River? Wurst, yuk.

      Delete
  2. It's all about the planning. Bit annoying about only one bed though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, some planning we do well, some not. The bed was actually quite ok.

      Delete
  3. Vegemite? Bleah.
    The rest sounds good though.
    Sigh on the one bed front, but I am glad you were able to make it work. And reassured to hear of another couple who live in different time zones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, I bet your mother did not like Vegemite either. Sorry, I don't understand your last sentence.

      Delete
    2. The skinny one and I keep such different times that sometimes it does seem that we live in different time zones, and it was reassuring to know that you and R also get up at different times. You are right. My mother didn't eat Vegemite. Cooked with it though.

      Delete
    3. Ah yes, of course you do. Our rising and going to bed times can differ by 2 to 3 hours, but mostly in Perth we went to bed at the same time. I am just up earlier.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:56 am

    What happened in 1983? Ian asked, sensing a juicy story. It couldn't be as bad as the recent story about an Italian professor in trouble with American Airlines because some silly woman thought he was a terrorist because he was scribbling maths equations in a notepad. It was all his fault of course - he had a beard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, there was an incident that involved a bag search, a broken bottle of duty free scotch and a passenger who might have had two glasses of wine on a flight from NZ. Not me of course, no Siree. Yes, I heard of someone being hauled off a plane because a fellow passenger become upset after seeing Arabic writing on his lap top.

      Delete
  5. I'm going to guess you smiled at the security person, which is why you got pulled over and "vacuumed" as we call it. They have KPIs to meet, anyone who smiles at them is going to get called over 100% for sure. :)

    Me personally I usually volunteer. Because I am nice like that, lol! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoskred, no I didn't smile. I just struggle to not look nervous and guilty of something. It is silly to target people who are clearly not threats, maybe not so much me but old ladies etc.

      Delete
  6. $1000 for an eight night stay is a good price.
    "El Cheapo" bus made me think of a movie called 'Fools Rush In', where the husband is on a rickety bus filled with people and caged chickens going though Mexico to find his wife who has left him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, just over $1000 and forgot to say that the price included the airfare with Tiger. I may have seen that movie a long time ago.

      Delete
  7. One can't complain if its cheap. Usually king size beds are so big its almost like sleeping in twin beds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I will complain regardless, haha. Actually R is more complaining than me. As it was, all was ok.

      Delete
  8. Haha! Made me laugh when you said you always get checked for drugs/explosives :) guess what! I do too, nearly every time. Aimee of course thinks it's hilarious because there she is with her bright red hair and a tattoo on her leg and she never does get checked :)I live in horror that they'll detect the cache of heroin that I have stashed up my you know what.. I'm kidding :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, the moment I saw you, I thought, ohhhh, I hope she always gets the once over at customs. The potential is there. Drugs are a bit different aren't they, as a much wider spectrum of people would carry drugs through, including little old ladies.

      Delete
    2. Little old ladies!!!! What exactly are you saying Andrew :)

      Delete
    3. I just knew I put that badly and it would be misread. Touche me.

      Delete
  9. What cheap airfare with accommodation. Well, it can be done if you book early as you said.
    I would have thought where you stayed would have had a single bed - most places we stay at do when traveling by car/need sleep over.
    I do believe most people snore! I can sleep, snoring or noise/lights don't bother me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it was a pretty good deal. If you sleep so soundly, I wonder who snores the most?

      Delete
  10. Interesting that you have the appearance of a Moslem terrorist and that you are selected for close scanning by security. I am female, middle aged, grey hair and wear poor-but-decent-academic clothes.. and never get selected. Joe is male, middle aged and has a prosperous look, and always gets closely checked by security.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hels, I'm afraid if I was on screening, I would choose you. Joe with a prosperous look is not going to jeopardise his wealth.

      Delete
  11. hahaha I always get drug checked too. Last time I went OS I also went into the xray machine. Just in case I was full of drugs yanno.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously now Fen, I would check you :-P

      Delete