Saturday, May 28, 2016

I told you so and a state apology (republish)

Well, we now have proof positive for not allowing gay marriage in Australia. It is allowed in many places around the world and look at how their societies are collapsing. Australians, you must keep up your opposition to gay marriage and save our society from the ills that gay marriage will create. Ok, you aren't against it, and your partner isn't against it, your friends aren't either, and your children aren't against it......puzzling......so who is? Apparently only our government, some religious types and a small minority are against it. It is not something I care much about and I am surprised our governments care about it so much. They have spent so much time beating themselves up about it, wouldn't it just be easier for them to let it happen?

Stupid old white men, but don't take that literally, Julia.

Actually, I am coming around on gay marriage, but every time I mention it to R, he responds with, 'do you have someone in mind to marry?' Anyway, I expect I would cry at my own wedding. So embarrassing. Photos make for a better blog post. My intention was honourable in selecting a photo of two older gay blokes kissing.


But hey, wow!




Later edit:

Let me tell you about Harry Williams. He was a friend of a friend but I heard the account first hand. I have tried a little to research, but without any result. We knew him as Harry Williams as that was his name, but not his earlier name. He changed his name after he was released from gaol. Let me paint a picture. The last time I saw him Harry, he was wearing a kind of pale safari suit, quite some time after they had gone from fashion. He was perfectly groomed, with just  a touch of make up. You could smell him from a mile away as he always doused himself in aftershave. As he walked, his gold jewellery clanked and rattled as he walked. His very old school Australian accented voice could cut through glass and he did not mind adding in an ultra descriptive coarse adjective into every sentence. Got the picture?  He was also gay.

Walking along the banks of the Yarra River one warm summer evening in about 1943, Harry came across an American sailor on leave. They began to have a bit of fun together, nudge nudge, wink wink. Then Harry realised the soldier was trying to steal money from his wallet. Harry hit him over the head with the bottle of el cheapo alcohol of whatever was drunk then and knocked the sailor out. Justice was swift and fast. The sailor went back to his ship and Harry was locked up for a number of years for being a homosexual, not for hitting the guy on the head with a bottle, which I suppose would have meant the sailor might have had to appear before court. I am sure I did hear at least once from Harry the words, fucking filthy coppers.

Harry was a bit of a wild bloke, but hardly deserved to spend a long time in gaol. His last job was as a doorman at the RACV Club in town. Vice was so important for law enforcement back then.

It was a total coincidence that the day I posted the earlier post, a motion was passed in our state parliament that I knew nothing about in advance. I was a bit surprised at my own emotional reaction this week when in a bipartisan motion, the Premier and the Leader of the Opposition of the State of Victoria apologised to gay men who were gaoled, persecuted, humiliated, exposed in the press, set up and hounded. Later I learnt that one of the people in the ABC 730 story was our tax accountant for two years. He was too expensive and I did not remember him until I was told.  

So thank you Premier Andrews and Opposition Leader Guy. Your words will have given comfort to a lot of old gay men and it is a somewhat addresses the wrongs committed in the past.

28 comments:

  1. Marriage
    Best thing we ever did
    On so many levels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee John, I am a bit slow. I should have used a photo of you and The Prof for middle aged men kissing.

      Delete
  2. It is all about equality. I have never married, but have that choice open to me. As it should be to gay couples. Some day. Soon. Ish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC, you live in sin? R is strange about that. He is hardly a prude, but he keeps mentioning that he wished Oldest Niece was married before she had her two children. I used to think similar, but it just does not matter anymore.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous10:28 am

    I'd like to see the gay media give equal coverage to gay divorces, just so we know life isn't a bed of roses. - Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'mon Ian. I can do the misery stuff pretty well myself. I will guess they the figure for gay divorce will considerably lower. Gay men know what gay men are like and much will have to be discussed before committing.

      Delete
  4. It is not just the wedding ceremony that is important. Rather the legal rights that flow from a legal marriage i.e the automatic right to inherit each other's estate, pension rights, insurance rights etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Hels, but really there is not much of that left. There was a case in South Australia where a gay tourist from England died and his partner who he was travelling with had a very hard time and eventually received an apology from the SA Premier.

      Delete
  5. I'm not against gay marriage, but I don't care all that much either. I just don't think it's anyone else's business. If two people want to get married, let them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, much as I think, really.

      Delete
  6. I'm all in favour of gay marriage, you should have the same right to be as miserable as any other married couple. I've seen friends live together happily, marry and hate each other.

    Don't laugh but I was in the Marriage Equality fight, went to the rallies until mother got sick and I had to give up being a member of the Lobby. The sticking point was that Howard took away the right for gay people to have the same choice as other Australian citizens had, you become 2nd class citizens although I'm sure you were all numerate and literate. That's what the fight was about, the right to choose and it's still what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jah Teh, I know you did and thanks for your support, well not me personally. Things have come a long way in our life times, so we should see that at a significant achievement.

      Delete
  7. I cried at my wedding. That surprised me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt, if you don't cry at the tv news at times, then that is significant.

      Delete
  8. I cry watching weddings of people I don't know on TV. I don't care who marries who.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strayer, I am a little surprised at that, and quite pleased to hear it.

      Delete
  9. I heard the apology today from the Victorian Government - did you?
    If people want to get married let them, if they don't, won't matter.
    As long as the legal 'bit' is sorted out before they do for I've seen a few that are very nasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see that Margaret and it is somewhat of coincidence and I will do something I have not done before, republish the post with an update in the future.

      Delete
  10. I'll take the second marriage, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But which hot guy for you Victor? Oh, both. You are such a type.

      Delete
  11. In Belgium it is allowed since a few years, strangely the divorce right is higher than the so said "normal" couples. Anyway I have girl friends who live over 30 years unmarried with the same partner. Everybody should be allowed to do what he wants. When I married a catholic wasn't allowed to marry a protestant ! Crazy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gattina, that is very interesting. I am not surprised about many people being unmarried in Belgium, as they aren't in Netherlands either. I'd like to say France too, but I am not sure about that. Even in Australia at the time you would have married, it was much the same about Catholics and Protestants. Then one day, that all disappeared.

      Delete
  12. I think the whole marriage thing whatever the sex is becoming more outdated Andrew.. I know many couples who have been happily together for many years without the need for that bit of paper. if it wasn't for the fact that it makes legal matters a little easier marriage would probably become an obsolete institution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, you are probably quite right about that. I think after maybe three years together as a de facto couple, you have the same rights as a married couple. It is a rather obsolete institution, yet also quite wonderful to witness and I guess being one of those being married.

      Delete
  13. A great post Andrew but I got fixated on the way you spelt gaol. It's exactly the same way I was taught at school. None of this American 'jail' english!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ad Rad, I don't know how I grew up spelling gaol, but that is how I choose to spell it now. I also chose programme (unless it is computer related), doughnut, barbeque and youghurt. I battle daily with my spell checker.

      Delete
  14. Just goes to show it's never too late to admit you are wrong. Welcome to the rest of the democratic world (well almost!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, the vast majority of Australians approve of gay marriage, but it is just not allowed.........yet.

      Delete